SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What recourse do I have when a long distance gun buy goes bad? UPDATE
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What recourse do I have when a long distance gun buy goes bad? UPDATE Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
paid via PayPal Gift, which I know is risky....

It's not risky, purchasing a firearm using any PayPal product is a clear violation of their end user agreement and terms of service and for that reason PayPal will seize the money in your account to offset their liquidated damages. Don't believe me? Go read the terms of service and user agreement.

You start off by violating PayPal terms of service you then or end bemoaning the fact that this person is miles away from you, has your money, and you don't have the gun that you thought you were buying.

I bet the deal sounded too good to be true. It did sounds too good to be true most probably because it was too good to be true.

If your gun shows up great. Chalk it up to experience and be resolved never to do foolish things like this again. Otherwise chalk it up to experience and be resolved never to do foolish things like this again.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
paid via PayPal Gift, which I know is risky....

It's not risky, purchasing a firearm using any PayPal product is a clear violation of their end user agreement and terms of service and for that reason PayPal will seize the money in your account to offset their liquidated damages. Don't believe me? Go read the terms of service and user agreement.

You start off by violating PayPal terms of service you then or end bemoaning the fact that this person is miles away from you, has your money, and you don't have the gun that you thought you were buying.

I bet the deal sounded too good to be true. It did sounds too good to be true most probably because it was too good to be true.

If your gun shows up great. Chalk it up to experience and be resolved never to do foolish things like this again. Otherwise chalk it up to experience and be resolved never to do foolish things like this again.

No, it wasn't too good to be true or even a sweet deal. It was a reasonable, current market price for a common, in-production gun. But paying via PayPal Gift for anything other than giving to friends or family is a violation of their terms and conditions, and the buyer has zero protection. I know that going in. This seller didn't ask for it. I use PPG all the time, but mostly to friends and family, though plenty of times to strangers I just know are going to be fine, and I've never been wrong yet.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What I was getting at with the story, is the OP might just need to give it a little time. Obviously the seller dropped it off at his FFL and his FFL simply dropped the ball, just like mine did in knowing they actually had it.

My issue isn't so much the long wait time, it's the broken promises and yes, the seller wrote "I promise to get you tracking by tomorrow" in his email. He did nothing in the timeline he said he would, he didn't ship, he dropped off at an FFL, then acted like his end of the bargain was completed. Uh no. If I take someone's money, it's my problem until the goods are delivered - not UPS's or FedEx's or the FFL's - it's mine and I will move mountains to make things right and let the buyer know I'm engaged and taking responsibility. If I say I will provide tracking by a date certain and I do not, it means I'm dead or incarcerated. Nothing else would stop me.

I get that and I also understand your frustration. But, not everyone is as responsible as they should be or knows even what that is. It doesn't sound like the seller is a crook or thief, just irresponsible. Hopefully you'll get the gun as advertised.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have made some on line purchases which were an absolute bitch to deal with. One dealer seemed to have dropped off the radar so long as he got paid. And I paid immediately. Never tracking info, email or a phone call. I raised 13 kinds of hell with him but he did ship the gun, just slow at doing so. Another which I paid for immediately shipped it fairly quick, insured, and the recieving FFL never contacted me it had arrived. It was a heavy target rifle. One of the two smashed its Palma rear sight. I've mentioned my Palma a time or two here. The recieving FFL thought it right to throw out my box and FedEx documents. He claimed the rifle was shipped damaged but the box showed no damage. The shipping FFL claimed the rifle was fine when he shipped and packed safely. I still have that broken Palma sight and its mated Olympic front. I never look at them because I cannot accept that any gun person would break a Customers firearm. I sold the rifle for half what it cost me just because it bothered me so. Never step foot in that gun shop again. I've seen those target Redfield sights average $400.00 used or new on line.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This FFL is a real bozo - shipped without a copy of his FFL in the box, did not require signature, so it was sitting on my FFL's front porch when he got home AND - get this - he shipped it with a loaded mag in the gun. Just unreal.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well, is it everything you hoped it would be?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This FFL is a real bozo - shipped without a copy of his FFL in the box, did not require signature, so it was sitting on my FFL's front porch when he got home AND - get this - he shipped it with a loaded mag in the gun. Just unreal.

LOLOLOLOLOL Well, at least you got it. What condition is it in? Did it come out of Mississippi? hehehe

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I pick it up tomorrow morning, but my FFL said it was fine.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Did it come out of Mississippi? hehehe

HEY!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that this happens once every so many transactions. I've had exactly one bad one where the seller stopped communicating. I eventually found his FFL and contacted them directly. They were much more helpful.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd report this clown to the the ATF!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

and ATF will do what?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEVER EVER EVER
Use PayPal for a gun purchase!! Same with using the gift to friends and family feature when paying for any item. Bottom line is if they want to take your money they can and will and you have zero recourse. Sheesh how many times do we have to repeat this before people stop doing it!

Thank your lucky stars you got it at all! Everyone involved in this fiasco was a bozo IMO....YMMV

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

and ATF will do what?

To possess an FFL I'd imagine there are rules and regs you have to abide by?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66tas:
NEVER EVER EVER
Use PayPal for a gun purchase!! Same with using the gift to friends and family feature when paying for any item. Bottom line is if they want to take your money they can and will and you have zero recourse. Sheesh how many times do we have to repeat this before people stop doing it!

Thank your lucky stars you got it at all! Everyone involved in this fiasco was a bozo IMO....YMMV

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The OP comes here with questions or some legitimate advice. Not to get kicked nuts, nice job 66 tas. Keeping it CLASSY.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Just put 200 rds. through the gun, ran like a top. Very happy with it. Won't ever deal with that idiot or his FFL again. Best thing out of this was the new local FFL I found, and his $15 transfer fee. Will be getting a gun from him directly pretty soon too.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I used to think gun people, buyers, dealers, sportsman, the whole lot, sort of stuck together due to a common interest. The numbers as a whole are very important. I too have found the divisions in the industries right down to some buyers and sellers. Its a damn shame because some just dont care so long as they get paid. I hope you never have to go through another bad transaction.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I've had a fair share of less than desirable dealings online over the years, they've all eventually come through but knowing that you already have the tracking number and it's on the way, I'd just let it go provided that you receive everything in good order.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So, what kind of gun was it?

I gots to know....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

and ATF will do what?

To possess an FFL I'd imagine there are rules and regs you have to abide by?

The ATF has better things to do than deal with something like that. They'll listen to the complaint and hang up and move on with trying to catch illegal manufacturers, alcohol licensing violations and straw man purchasing.

If an FFL receives a firearm without paperwork, they must list the sender's name and address, run a stolen gun check and then log it in his A&D book. The receiving FFL can contact the sending FFL and get a copy of that FFL, check out the name and cross check the name/address and FFL number on FFL EZ check.

It's an annoyance and he broke some shipping rules. He'd probably get a nasty E-mail from me about sending a loaded pistol.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post