SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What recourse do I have when a long distance gun buy goes bad? UPDATE
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What recourse do I have when a long distance gun buy goes bad? UPDATE Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I once had a guy (not an FFL) in Texas mail my FFL a gun (revolver) by putting it in a priority mail box... with ammo included. The gun arrived with the barrel sticking out of the box... I was filling out the form after saying the gun was okay and the guy at the counter realized that not only was it shipped via USPS by a private individual but there was ammo included in the box... he said sign that damn form and get that gun and box out of here...

Gad your deal worked out okay... seems some folks don't quite have the same philosophy as most of the gun folks I've dealt with. I agree with you... the deal is not done until the buyer accepts the gun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
So, what kind of gun was it?

I gots to know....

P365. I had had a local trade deal all worked out and then the other guy went radio silent. So I had to fan out to farther away.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I once had a guy (not an FFL) in Texas mail my FFL a gun (revolver) by putting it in a priority mail box... with ammo included. The gun arrived with the barrel sticking out of the box... I was filling out the form after saying the gun was okay and the guy at the counter realized that not only was it shipped via USPS by a private individual but there was ammo included in the box... he said sign that damn form and get that gun and box out of here...

That's outrageous, but at least the shipper wasn't an FFL. I can sort of forgive ignorance. I can't forgive stupidity and laziness, which my seller's FFL exhibited.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
And with free ammo!

Jeeze, some people complain about everything. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This FFL is a real bozo - shipped without a copy of his FFL in the box, did not require signature, so it was sitting on my FFL's front porch when he got home AND - get this - he shipped it with a loaded mag in the gun. Just unreal.

I'd report this clown to the the ATF!

and ATF will do what?

To possess an FFL I'd imagine there are rules and regs you have to abide by?

The ATF has better things to do than deal with something like that. They'll listen to the complaint and hang up and move on with trying to catch illegal manufacturers, alcohol licensing violations and straw man purchasing.

If an FFL receives a firearm without paperwork, they must list the sender's name and address, run a stolen gun check and then log it in his A&D book. The receiving FFL can contact the sending FFL and get a copy of that FFL, check out the name and cross check the name/address and FFL number on FFL EZ check.

It's an annoyance and he broke some shipping rules. He'd probably get a nasty E-mail from me about sending a loaded pistol.

Tony,

you are in Oregon or Washington, corrrect?

the background thing on a firearm is a State Reg, (Oregon has to check all used firearms thru NICS, Va has that option, but not required by the State, and not required at all by the Feds)

the FFL can log it in from the return address on the shipping label, if needed, until a FFL or other ID is received

and yes, ATF may take notes, enough complaints, or if it is a slow week, (remember ATF checks compliance with Alcohol and Tobacco as well) they may pay a visit,

likely , with enough complaints, they may step in and do an earlier Compliance Audit,,

(FWIW I'm an 01/SOT)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This FFL is a real bozo - shipped without a copy of his FFL in the box, did not require signature, so it was sitting on my FFL's front porch when he got home AND - get this - he shipped it with a loaded mag in the gun. Just unreal.

I'd report this clown to the the ATF!

and ATF will do what?

To possess an FFL I'd imagine there are rules and regs you have to abide by?

The ATF has better things to do than deal with something like that. They'll listen to the complaint and hang up and move on with trying to catch illegal manufacturers, alcohol licensing violations and straw man purchasing.

If an FFL receives a firearm without paperwork, they must list the sender's name and address, run a stolen gun check and then log it in his A&D book. The receiving FFL can contact the sending FFL and get a copy of that FFL, check out the name and cross check the name/address and FFL number on FFL EZ check.

It's an annoyance and he broke some shipping rules. He'd probably get a nasty E-mail from me about sending a loaded pistol.

Tony,

you are in Oregon or Washington, corrrect?

the background thing on a firearm is a State Reg, (Oregon has to check all used firearms thru NICS, Va has that option, but not required by the State, and not required at all by the Feds)

the FFL can log it in from the return address on the shipping label, if needed, until a FFL or other ID is received

and yes, ATF may take notes, enough complaints, or if it is a slow week, (remember ATF checks compliance with Alcohol and Tobacco as well) they may pay a visit,

likely , with enough complaints, they may step in and do an earlier Compliance Audit,,

(FWIW I'm an 01/SOT)

Correct, Oregon.

The ATF field agent couldn't stress enough during my licensing interiview the importance of running a stolen gun check BEFORE the firearm was logged into the A&D book. He basically told me that logging a stolen firearm into my A&D book means a whole lot of headache for me and it was better that I don't find out what that headache is.

This dude abides.

I was not aware it was not required in other states.

And yes, I agree, if there are enough complaints, they are more likely to perform a compliance audit.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post