SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are these things in a concrete carport?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are these things in a concrete carport? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Access for a septic system?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cistern?

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You gotta take pics of what you find when you pull ‘em....

Asps, very dangerous. You go first.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Asps, very dangerous. You go first.

Why does it have to be snakes? (Indy shudders and backs away)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
How would he pull them? Are they smooth enough to use suction cups?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is - it probably wasn't in the first spot!

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Maybe drains were there for rainwater ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
How would he pull them? Are they smooth enough to use suction cups?

flashguy

I'd sink tap cons into them with some sort of handle.

OP try asking some of the neighbors that have lived there a long time what they're for. They may know.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Sure looks like the spacing of septic tank access holes.
Maybe an old one?

I agree.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

1. Septic access is nearly always buried, is it not?
  2. Do septic tanks often have two clean-outs? Ours does not. Nor does any other I've ever seen. Hard to see why it would be necessary.
  3. As previously noted: Septic tank covers are usually round, not square.

I think it unlikely they were septic tank access.

You should Google #2. Com'on, that was funny. #2 and we're talking about septic systems. Not only that, but Google given your well known opinions on Google.

As for point 1, yes they are burried and if one were to pour a concrete slab for a carport over an existing septic tank, how do you think one would access the clean outs?

Point 2, they all have at least two chambers now and at least two access covers. This started in the 70s.

Point 3 doesn't support your position because you've allowed for the possibility of square covers.

Jimmy brings up a good point about the contacting the local building authority. If it was permitted, they will have a record of it. The online records at the property appraiser's office in my county show all permitted improvements to one's property.

Yep. Definitely 2 seasons of a History Channel show here. Look how much time we've already spent on the investigation and we haven't even brought in the ground penetrating radar, dug exploratory holes, or compared aerial photographs of the property over the years. Let's not forget the interviews at the building department and I'm sure we could dig up a local historian or two for their perspective. Since the prevailing theory is a septic tank, we'll need to bring in an expert to assess the validity of that theory. I suggest Fred's Sanitary Service of Hartland, WI whose motto on the pens they gave out was "Your shit is our bread and butter". We'll need to send samples of the metal and various concrete bits to the local university for analysis the results of which could potentially shed some light on whether the covers were poured before or after the slab and if thr metal is consistent with bent rebar handles or bolts for some kind of lifting apparatus.

Or, you could pry them up and tell us what you find.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motor oil drain pan cut outs , they originally had 2 x boards in there.

You pulled up the boards and set them aside,
put a dish pan in the ground to drain the oil.

Replace the boards and dump the oil in the back alley ( if it was gravel)

Hey, it was the 60's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Havent you ever seen, "Blast From the Past"?
LOL good movie.

To lift them get Red Head anchors. The type you place in then hit the inner center part that expands (drop ins). Drill holes in concrete to suit the diameter. Place removable grade 8 bolts through a chain and into the inserts. You will need two drop in anchors per square so you can use both sides of the chain.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ They might be 3 feet thick/deep. Eek

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
^^^ Its possible you are right but I dont think they are that deep. They have rebar out the top that was cut off. I think they were placed after the slab was poured.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The metal squares shown appear to have a hole in the center.If it is tapped a. couple of eye bolts would make it easy to lift these out. My guess is a septic tank.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Know anyone with a metal detector? Or maybe a pinpointer?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
One square is where they thought it was, the second square is where they found it....

Posts: 23445 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
NSFW

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m still going to go with access panels to the (now old and defunct) septic tank. The spacing of the panels certainly look that way.

1. Septic access is nearly always buried, is it not?
  2. Do septic tanks often have two clean-outs? Ours does not. Nor does any other I've ever seen. Hard to see why it would be necessary.
  3. As previously noted: Septic tank covers are usually round, not square.

I think it unlikely they were septic tank access.

I guess it depends on which part of the country your from.
In Virginia and North Carolina the cover is not always buried...
The tanks here have two access panels that are cut on a square bevel.
Having built several hundred homes, all with septic systems I’ve seen a few.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post