SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are these things in a concrete carport?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are these things in a concrete carport? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Another cache of John Wick?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
In my friend retirement community they acces the water on/off valve. Go up north-turn it off, come back down- turn water on.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Not sure what purpose they serve but I think it’s a great idea......I’m gonna cut two squares in my driveway just before I sell my house and move .... the new owners can can think about it Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Those are blow-off hatches for the missile silo out back of the house.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe they were cut in after the drive was poured or else you would see 2 cuts in each corner to get to depth where they would have run the saw past to complete each cut

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
I don’t believe they were cut in after the drive was poured or else you would see 2 cuts in each corner to get to depth where they would have run the saw past to complete each cut

True. Saw cuts would be apparent. These were formed squares. Now you have perplexed the Sig Forum swarm.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Unless my eyes are deceiving me.

I see two rusty spots centered in each cutout about the same distance apart. I would say they are footings for perhaps two column lifts before carport was built. Previous owner took the lifts when they moved.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that they look like they predate the rest of the pour.

Definitely not septic - those always have round lids, so you cannot drop it in.

They look like footings, but I can't picture what they would have been for. The square steel(?) insets look like mounting points. The distance center-to-center might give you an idea of their purpose. If it matched a wheelbase or something, that would give you a lead.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could have possibly been supports for sign of some sort at one time....previous owner could have had business or something there years ago...just a guess..

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Could it be for something like this?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoeBfcVJy8M

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orguss may have hit on something. Many houses in the 50s and early 60s had nuke shelters.
Maybe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It looks as if ferrous metal was cut off and ground down in 2 specific places on each slab. Closeups of both brown squares on one slab and a backed off photo showing where they are in relation to driveway or front path would help. Kinda hard to imagine the SF brain trust coming up blank. Wink

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
And how would I go about getting them up to retrieve the lost Spanish Fleet gold?

It looks like someone has tried to pry them up from the chipping of both the slab and covers: lower left corner on the bottom one and upper left corner on the top one.

There's really no way of knowing which was poured first. If they are covers, I suspect the slab was poured first with the holes for the covers formed up before the pour. The cutoff metal in each could have been rebar bent to form handles for the covers. They could have been cutoff because whatever is under the covers no longer needed to be accessed and the home owner got tired of tripping over the handles.

Going with the theory that whatever is under there no longer needing to be accessed, has anything been replaced since the home was built? Septic system, water main, sprinkler system, etc.?

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . has anything been replaced since the home was built? Septic system, water main, sprinkler system, etc.?

Don't know, as the original homeowners are dead and the current occupants don't know what may have been done back between original construction and late 1970s.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m still going to go with access panels to the (now old and defunct) septic tank. The spacing of the panels certainly look that way.

Since the house is ~ 50 years old the original tank/system could have given up the ghost many years ago and a new one installed. The 2 rusty areas in each panel were clearly handles to lift the panels off that have been cut down.

It is a code violation to do that now but back then???

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Secret access ports to get the boonker loaded with hookers and blow.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:

True. Saw cuts would be apparent. These were formed squares. Now you have perplexed the Sig Forum swarm.

You can cut corners without overrun. I used to start in the middle and move forward to the corner. The saw had a mark on the front where the edge of the blade would be when fully lowered. I set that mark short of the corner and lower the blade then move forward the last inch. I would then turn the saw around and finish the line in the other direction. No real reason to do it that way except to see If I could. It only works on thinner slabs, around four inches.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m still going to go with access panels to the (now old and defunct) septic tank. The spacing of the panels certainly look that way.

1. Septic access is nearly always buried, is it not?
  2. Do septic tanks often have two clean-outs? Ours does not. Nor does any other I've ever seen. Hard to see why it would be necessary.
  3. As previously noted: Septic tank covers are usually round, not square.

I think it unlikely they were septic tank access.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
quote:
. . . has anything been replaced since the home was built? Septic system, water main, sprinkler system, etc.?

Don't know, as the original homeowners are dead and the current occupants don't know what may have been done back between original construction and late 1970s.

Go to your local building department in the city hall. SPeak to them nicely. I was able to find the origional building plans for a property built in 1953 and another in 1966, they had ALL aspects of the build on microfiche and printed out anything I wanted.

Another thing that was super popular here in Florida (not sure about your area) in that era was in ground garbage cans. The would be in cement usually, and there would be a metal can in there with a metal swing up lid and the garbage men would walk up, pull the garbage bags out of the in ground cans and throw it in the truck. They did away with that service around here in the early 1980's, yet the cans remain at a lot of older houses. Perhaps they filled them in and poured a concrete lid to make the carport area flat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Secret access ports to get the boonker loaded with hookers and blow.

Hold on just a darn minute here. You can buy both hookers and blow in bulk? I didn't know that.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post