SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick Water Heater Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Water Heater Question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam

Please show me a manufacture's installation instructions which states their unit requires no venting materials if its mounted outside.

I'll be waiting...

My Rennai tankless RU98 is an outdoor unit and requires no external venting to be used the unit have a vent slot built in to the front of the unit

The documents are here

https://www.rinnai.us/water-he...98e-reu-kbp3237wd-us

This, it's designed as an outdoor unit. The unit at the house I manage is mounted on the exterior wall about 4' above the ground. It has the slot in the front of it about 2" from the top that looks almost like a mail slot and doesn't even have a place where one could hook up a vent. The install was done by the rinnai dealer, with a permit, and the city code inspector signed off on the permit. It's been there 4 years and we've never had a single issue with it. I'd be more than happy to take a picture of it on Monday or Tuesday when I'm over at the house.

Below is a chart of Rinnai models and if you look at the models labeled outdoor units, go to where it says vent type, it says N/A. The top of the unit is solid metal and no provision for hooking anything up to it.

Excam, why do you question everything, when you could look the information up just as easily as anyone. You're in the HVAC business and don't know about these??? Guess you didn't have to wait very long as someone else beat me to it!

https://www.lowes.com/pdf/Tank...oster24x18_r2web.pdf Confused

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Rennai tankless RU98 is an outdoor unit and requires no external venting to be used the unit have a vent slot built in to the front of the unit

The documents are here the specs show n/a on venting, the documents are downloadable

Thank you!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Excam, why do you question everything

Because you have a track record for posting inaccurate information.

In this case, a non-functioning clock is sometimes correct.

quote:
You're in the HVAC business and don't know about these???

I forgot, you know EVERYTHING. Roll Eyes

Not big on tank-less water heaters and definitely not *OUTDOOR water heaters. *Since I have a 0% chance of ever installing one here... lol
The ones I am familiar with, have both (combustion air and exhaust) connections on the top. Which would require some sort of venting to eliminate exhaust fumes from being recirculated.

Hence why I asked for documentation... Duh!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Excam, why do you question everything

Because you have a track record for posting inaccurate information.

In this case, a non-functioning clock is sometimes correct.

quote:
You're in the HVAC business and don't know about these???

I forgot, you know EVERYTHING. Roll Eyes

Not big on tank-less water heaters and definitely not *OUTDOOR water heaters. *Since I have a 0% chance of ever installing one here... lol
The ones I am familiar with, have both (combustion air and exhaust) connections on the top. Which would require some sort of venting to eliminate exhaust fumes from being recirculated.

Hence why I asked for documentation... Duh!

And you have a track record for posting something negative doubting someone that is knowledgable about a subject, yet you somehow don't believe. And the hits keep on coming! Get over yourself already. You were perfectly capable of googling "ventless outdoor tankless water heater" and doing your own research.

I do not know everything, nor do I profess to know everything. There are MANY topics in the lounge that I read, but do not post in, because I am not knowledgable but do want to learn about the topic. However, between managing/maintaining/ and running luxury yachts and luxury homes for owners worth $50 million or more, I oversee and deal with a lot of different systems and equipment. Everything from, but not including Outboards, gas inboards, generators to 100 KW, Diesel engines up to 2400 HP, plumbing, electrical, pavers, hvac (package units, direct expansion, multiple stacked chilled water systems), pools, hot water heaters, pool heaters, docks, roofs, cars, and on and on.

As many of these negative comments you make towards me and/or my intelligence, If you looked at my linkedin contacts, your head would spin in 600 different circles. If I have an issue with a Hatteras Yacht or a Hinckley, or a CAT, MAN, Cummins engine or generator for example that a local tech from the dealer can't figure out, I simply pick up my cell phone, look in my contacts and call the head engineer on his cell phone who designed it and ask them.

In order to effectively manage and maintain something, you need to know how it works, who to call to fix it, and what it takes to fix it. Or, if it's an emergency, such as the owners bathroom toilet fill valve isn't completely shutting off and it's the weekend and they're staying at the house, I'll fix it myself. I can fix most all items when it comes to a yacht or house, but not all.

I work for owners that you never say the word NO to. They pay me to handle everything, and get it done, so they don't have to be bothered. As far as they're concerned, ALL of their assets in Florida are handled by me and they're not bothered with any of it. They just pay for it all. But are not bothered with having to call people, keep track of their stuff and it's maintenance etc. They just want it ready to go and maintained at all times. These are people that buy a $150,000 boat or car by accident because the wife bumped into a Boston Whaler salesman at Subway on a Friday and thought it would be a good idea to buy the kids a new 27' Boston Whaler (for example). In order to do so and work for owners of that caliber, you have to know your stuff and have a reputation for being very good at what you do. Someone on the Fortune 500 list doesn't just open the yellow pages and look for someone to manage their assets, it's all word of mouth.

posted Hide Post
quote:
And you have a track record

Of posting facts, not opinions.
BTW, I ASKED for the information on the outdoor water heater 'venting', which HRK provided... Dumbass!

quote:
I do not know everything, nor do I profess to know everything.

Snipped the rest of the resume...

You better go re-read your posts (the one above this one will work), because you DO think you know everything. All you have to do is look at the 'resume' you post when someone calls you on your bullshit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Excam_Man,

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

The documents are here the specs show n/a on venting, the documents are downloadable

Just put one in for my sister, works great so far. Added the optional freeze protection kit. Replaces two conventional water heaters, one in the attic and one in the pantry.
I added a decade hot water loop for the new unit. I was amazed how cool the combustion air slot remains while in use. As it is only about three feet off the ground I had warned her she might have to fence it off to keep the grandkids from getting burned but it seems that will not be an issue.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
My condo in Virginia had the water heater in the attic. The plumber & helper removed the attic access ladder/door to replace it. It was up there when we moved in and we replaced it 23 years later, still working. It was an expensive job. Once they drained it they said it was pretty light, most of them are heavy with sediment.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And you have a track record

Of posting facts, not opinions.
BTW, I ASKED for the information on the outdoor water heater 'venting', which HRK provided... Dumbass!

quote:
I do not know everything, nor do I profess to know everything.

Snipped the rest of the resume...

You better go re-read your posts (the one above this one will work), because you DO think you know everything. All you have to do is look at the 'resume' you post when someone calls you on your bullshit.

Exactly what bullshit have I posted??? Please, by all means, give references or quotes of them. I'll be waiting.

Ohhh yeah, and, "ALL water heaters are JUNK, it's the professional installer that makes them heat water! So find yourself the best trained water heater installer you can find"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly what bullshit have I posted??? Please, by all means, give references or quotes of them. I'll be waiting.

Do a Google search on "jimmy123x site:sigforum.com" and you'll have a decade or two worth of reading material. It really is that simple...

quote:
Ohhh yeah, and, "ALL water heaters are JUNK, it's the professional installer that makes them heat water! So find yourself the best trained water heater installer you can find"

Hey Jimmy;

Many installers fail to vent water heaters correctly. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to install a pipe on the T/P safety. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to replace the old flex line with a new one. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to put a drip leg on the gas supply. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to do the installation to code. <--- Fact

Since CO can kill you, yes, get the best installer you can find.

Jimmy, before you do any further posting do yourself a favor, go upstairs and ask your mother for a Snickers bar, because you're starting to post like a little 14 y/o girl.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do a Google search on "jimmy123x site:sigforum.com" and you'll have a decade or two worth of reading material. It really is that simple...

quote:

Hey Jimmy;

Many installers fail to vent water heaters correctly. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to install a pipe on the T/P safety. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to replace the old flex line with a new one. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to put a drip leg on the gas supply. <--- Fact
Many installers fail to do the installation to code. <--- Fact

Since CO can kill you, yes, get the best installer you can find.

Jimmy, before you do any further posting do yourself a favor, go upstairs and ask your mother for a Snickers bar, because you're starting to post like a little 14 y/o girl.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL You must be wearing some REALLY good rose colored glasses and drinking way too much kool-aid. Cool ask your mom if the meatloaf is ready.

This is the second thread that you have TROLLED yourself into, added nothing valuable to the OPs question and at the same time posted a number of attacks on me, on something you obviously know nothing about. Tankless Water Heaters. You ought to be ashamed of yourself to come into this thread and post a bunch of utter and complete BS, where the OP is asking a question looking for a solution to his water heater issue in his attic, which you have posted nothing valuable to the OPs situation. You owe the OP an apology.

posted Hide Post
quote:

How much CO do electric hot water heaters put out btw???

LOLOLOLOLOLOL You must be wearing some REALLY good rose colored glasses and drinking way too much kool-aid. Cool

Oh my Jimmy... please, keep up!

We were talking about the venting requirements of a gas fired water heater, not electric water heaters!
You do know, that electric water heaters don't have a vent?

Try to keep your postings in the same universe... Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL You must be wearing some REALLY good rose colored glasses and drinking way too much kool-aid. Cool

We were talking about the venting requirements of a gas fired water heater, not electric water heaters!

AND THE OP IS ASKING HOW TO GET HIS HOT WATER HEATER OUT OF HIS ATTIC AND A NEW ONE IN THERE SO HE HAS HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOWHERE DID THE OP ASK ABOUT VENTING REQUIREMENTS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU POSTED. THE OP POSTED ASKING A SOLUTION TO HIS PROBLEM.

As for the OP, the easiest solution without getting into any major construction would most likely be to cut up the old one with a sawzall or 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel and remove it in pieces, and install a tankless electric hot water heater that will easily fit through the opening and have an electrician run electric to it from the breaker panel. Running electric in an attic is usually pretty easy and a straight shot from the breaker panel.

posted Hide Post
Since you edited your post, here's some more facts for you...

quote:

Many installers don't know they make ventless outdoor tankless water heaters <---Fact

We are again talking about gas fired water heaters. They DO have a vent and are NOT vent-less.
Vent-less means they have no vent. lol

quote:
If a home owner pulled a permit to change their hot water heater like they're supposed to in most municipalities, none of the installation issues would happen usually <--- Fact

Yeah, cause all inspectors are qualified and never miss anything. Roll Eyes

Lets not forget the cities/states that don't require a permit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

???????
YOU were talking about the venting requirements of a gas water heater. The OP and everyone else in this thread never once brought up venting of a water heater. The OP asked how to get the old one out and new one in. Never ONCE was venting asked about.

Give it a rest already.

posted Hide Post
quote:

AND THE OP IS ASKING HOW TO GET HIS HOT WATER HEATER OUT OF HIS ATTIC AND A NEW ONE IN THERE SO HE HAS HOT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOWHERE DID THE OP ASK ABOUT VENTING REQUIREMENTS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU POSTED. THE OP POSTED ASKING A SOLUTION TO HIS PROBLEM.

Which I answered.

Don't get mad because you can't keep things straight. Go back and see who posted about venting in the first place.

Here, I'll help ya:
quote:
Yes, one of the luxury houses I manage has the tankless (gas) mounted right on the outside wall of the side of the house. It doesn't require any vent or anything. This is in South Florida.

I'm sure your 'resume' helped the OP... LMAO

posted Hide Post
quote:

???????
YOU were talking about the venting requirements of a gas water heater. The OP and everyone else in this thread never once brought up venting of a water heater. The OP asked how to get the old one out and new one in. Never ONCE was venting asked about.

Give it a rest already.

You brought it up first... see my last post. Keep up!

Then you brought a lot of OTHER non-sense into the thread. Like the comment about "CO from an electric water heater, etc." As you ALWAYS do... trying to deflect attention away from being called on your BS.

posted Hide Post
Nice edit... taking away the fact you asked about "CO from an electric water heater" (which is in a quoted reply). And all the "<--- fact" statements (which are also in quoted replies). Then adding this paragraph to the post.

quote:

This is the second thread that you have TROLLED yourself into, added nothing valuable to the OPs question and at the same time posted a number of attacks on me, on something you obviously know nothing about. Tankless Water Heaters. You ought to be ashamed of yourself to come into this thread and post a bunch of utter and complete BS, where the OP is asking a question looking for a solution to his water heater issue in his attic, which you have posted nothing valuable to the OPs situation. You owe the OP an apology.

I told you already, I answered the OP. Then ask a question about something YOU posted on, then said "thank you" to HRK. But you had to go and post yet another resume to deflect attention.

I post facts, not BS and resumes.

As far as the apology, you better take a look in the mirror.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just leave it in the attic and bypass the old WH. Install a new one in a new location.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice edit... taking away the fact you asked about "CO from an electric water heater" (which is in a quoted reply). And all the "<--- fact" statements (which are also in quoted replies). Then adding this paragraph to the post.

quote:

I told you already, I answered the OP. Then ask a question about something YOU posted on, then said "thank you" to HRK. But you had to go and post yet another resume to deflect attention.

I post facts, not BS and resumes.

As far as the apology, you better take a look in the mirror.

My posting was fact. All of it was completely factual. Yet you instantly replied in disbelief to my post accusing me of posting something untrue,and asking me to prove it, when you knew NOTHING about what I posted. Outdoor ventless (external) tankless hot water heaters.

And yes, mounting a ventless gas tankless hot water heater on the outside of his home could be a very viable option to his problem. He lives in Texas and it's a common procedure to move from an interior traditional water heater here to an exterior tankless. Easy to check for leaks, no CO worries, easy to service, etc. etc. That's exactly what they did in the home I manage, and it freed up useful space inside.

I was looking up the Rinnea info about exterior units not having external vents for you when HRK beat me to it by 8 minutes if you look at the time stamps.

The CO from an electric water heater question with 3 ??? was because the OP already stated he didn't have the gas supply to put a tankless in his attic, so I recommended and electric tankless. Then you start posting stuff about an installer and CO. I am VERY aware of Carbon Monoxide and that nothing electrical produces Carbon Monoxide. I run yachts, a 72' yacht will have 2- 1650 horsepower diesels, and 2 30 killowatt generators all underneath your living areas in an engine room. Only something that combusts a fuel produces CO. But when you may be anchored for a week, with a generator running 24/7 CO is a very real and deadly thing to pay attention to. We usually have multiple CO monitors on a yacht, usually one in every room.

Quite honestly, yes I did retract my post. I posted replying to your kiddie games with more kiddie games and felt it didn't do anyone in this thread any good and redacted them like an adult a few minutes after posting them.

I'm done responding to your unfounded attacks, it doesn't benefit anyone in this thread and it certainly doesn't change the OPs water heater.

Have a great weekend, what is left of it.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x and Excam_Man, CUT IT OUT.

Not another word from either of you. From now on, you guys will not speak to each other in this forum, and that's permanent.

jimmy, why is it that I seem to always see your name in these threads that end up in bickering over technical stuff? I want you to stop acting this way here. If you can't have a discussion without coming across like a know-it-all who has been everywhere and done everything, then refrain from entering into these kinds of discussions.

I don't want to see this stuff any more.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post