SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Know What These Animals Are?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Know What These Animals Are? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If we're having a raccoon thread...

Just skip to 1:15

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/enqiof-3TfE

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Honey badgers. Watch yer back.... Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thank god they aren't Dingos!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
At my friend's house which is in town there are raccoons. While we were sleeping this little guy apparently entered her house through the cat door. We along with our dogs were awoken by something falling over in the basement family room. Dogs were going nuts so I went to investigate and as I got to the hallway the raccoon was running up the steps and flew past me, with the two dogs in hot pursuit! It ran through the kitchen to the dining room, climbed up the curtain and stood there hissing at us. And damn if it wasn't difficult getting him off, I had two broom handles and was trying to force one leg at a time off but the thing hung on by only one or two rear feet and used his front arms to deflect the broom sticks while growling away at me.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A couple years back, setting up for a match one morning I went to throw something in the trash barrel and got quite a surprise.

It's not that uncommon, I've let them out of the barrels a few times over the years. The odd thing was exactly one year to the day, very same match, very same pit, same barrel... more raccoons.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL back for their 1 year reunion.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

We have those, too. Next door neighbour spent a goodly amount of time, last summer, evicting and re-evicting one from under his shed. They used to make home under our's, until we had a new shed built and I surrounded it with packed crushed stone--which they seem to dislike for digging.

My wife keeps trying to convince me to terminate the resident groundhog--with prejudice. But, beside the fact discharging a firearm within township limits is verboten, there are homes "downrange." They're maybe as much as 1,000 ft. off, through very dense woods and brush, and I'd only use a 22, but, still...

FYI even though there is no closed season for them you have to have a small game license in Michigan to legally shoot woodchucks.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do not store your wild bird food in Rubbermade trash cans,
they will chew right through them to eat the feed.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
They are Coons.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic, how did you post that vid, who hosted it?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we're having a raccoon thread...

Just skip to 1:15

Their healthy appearance was due to the junkie that OD'd in a back bedroom.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I guess they're raccoons

Thanks for the confirmations!

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Good thing they aren't woodchucks, or they'd be chucking your wood like a woodchuck chucks....

We have those, too. Next door neighbour spent a goodly amount of time, last summer, evicting and re-evicting one from under his shed. They used to make home under our's, until we had a new shed built and I surrounded it with packed crushed stone--which they seem to dislike for digging.

My wife keeps trying to convince me to terminate the resident groundhog--with prejudice. But, beside the fact discharging a firearm within township limits is verboten, there are homes "downrange." They're maybe as much as 1,000 ft. off, through very dense woods and brush, and I'd only use a 22, but, still...
You might consider an air rifle. 22 or 17? cal. Head shots will do it every time.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Coons.

Sometimes they make a strange bird-like chirping sound. Pretty freaky if you never heard it before.

Several years ago we had a dead standing tree. AIR, it was oak, about 40 feet tall. Was dead when we moved in.

I finally got a chain saw and used it to cut that tree down before it fell the wrong way. It hit the ground with a helluva crash, chunks of rotten wood flew in all directions. And a coon came running out of what had been the upper end of the tree! Didn't seem to be hurt, but probably had the crap scared out of it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Chupacabra. Cool

Dem ur coons boy. Don't try to hand feed em.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I kinda miss seeing raccoons, used to be lots of them here but rabies seems to have wiped them out.

Stop by in Huntington, the next time you're out on the motorcycle.
We have a pack of redneck raccoons.
They're rednecks because they fight every night at 11pm. Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
LOL I should!

But yeah I know how they'll fight especially over food. I was camping and later found out a guy with us threw out the contents of 1/2 a bag of Cheetos before going to bed. My God I've never heard such screaming, hissing and fighting. Just thankful it was them rather than a bear.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yep--I agree. Raccoons. I feed a couple of feral outdoor cats and from time to time a coon or 2 will come to feed. So far, no issues.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend had a baby raccoon fall through the ceiling of her house, her pups were just standing there, in "awe" looking at it.

She called animal rescue to come and get it. It took them three hours to get there. She sat there with her two pups just looking at it.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
ensigmatic, how did you post that vid, who hosted it?

Posted using the same tags you'd use to post a YouTube vid. It's hosted on my own server.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
do not store your wild bird food in Rubbermade trash cans,
they will chew right through them to eat the feed.

We store our bird seed in a metal container, specifically made for storing animal feed, purchased from TSC.

Since it's kept in the garage, mice are more a problem than raccoons. Well, were a problem, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted using the same tags you'd use to post a YouTube vid. It's hosted on my own server

Thanks. I was hoping there was an easy way to not use YouTube. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post