SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Employer Email: Security Training for Active Shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Employer Email: Security Training for Active Shooter Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
Received an all-employee email for my location this morning...training is in November:

"These are challenging times in society. The threat of an active shooter in populated areas and in the workplace is on the minds of the public, law enforcement, businesses, and our employees. Unfortunately, active shooter situations are unpredictable and can evolve quickly. Have you thought about what you would do in an active shooter scenario? We have asked our security consultant, the Phillips Group, to assist us in answering that question. Specifically, they have developed a training program which provides guidance to all employees, so they can prepare to respond to an active shooter situation. Over the next several weeks and months, all employees will receive this training either live in person or via video. The first of the live training sessions will be on the following days & times:

This mandatory training program will take approximately 75-90 mins and all sessions will take place in *******. Ideally, we would like @ 35 employees in each session.

We are fully committed to the safety and security of our workplace, and all employees can help prevent and prepare for potential active shooter situations. Implementing a training program such as this will give ** employees the knowledge necessary to promote situational awareness and an idea of how to respond to an unthinkable event like an active shooter. Thank You in advance for your cooperation and attention to this matter."

Being active in our "SF community" I ask:
- what questions are appropriate so as not to paint myself as the resident gun guy?
- how does one not snicker or groan when instructed to "lock yourself in a closet" when the natural response is "2 to the body - 1 to the head?
- all advice/experiences are appreciated.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I've got nothing. President of my company is former Army Ranger, and ~30% of staff in TN HQ carry. Both us in my office carry. We'd all simultaneously respond with the "2 to the body, 1 to the head" as the right answer.

Our MA offices could likely use the training, as they'd only be able to react with harsh looks.

If I was at a liberal, caring company, I'd have to show up at such training wearing a ball gag to keep my job.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Have you thought about what you would do in an active shooter scenario?

Uhhhh, shoot back?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
You already know the answer: Silently listen and observe. If someone in your office is crazy you don’t want to ID yourself to them as a threat and you don’t want to ID yourself to management.

With that in mind, I went through that mandatory training recently as well and I just sat there. However, the first time I did it, a few years ago, I made one comment that was accepted as legitimate. I simply asked why didn’t my office and several other offices have locks on the door that could be used in the event of a shooting yet others had locks? Within a couple of weeks all the doors had locks.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

If your company has any hint of being woke or anti-gun there will certainly be a diversity person or HR person taking notes of who asked what question and if you sound like you like guns you just painted a bullseye on yourself.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ask about locations and training for medical trauma kits. Might be able to get yourself some company paid Stop The Bleed training. Another thing would be inter-company communication to address employees of an incident, or to help responders.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the push for red flag laws like the one in CA that co workers can out you - if it were me I would be participating as minimalist as possible - BB61 response above is on target

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am long gone from that sort of work environment. I probably would not thought of it, but I think Voshterkoff's response is excellent.

In my current work environment, everybody / anybody is encouraged to carry, as long as s/he follows the (Florida) law. I like that policy. Oh, I set the policy since I'm the boss. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did this a year or so ago at my company with the local police. It was actually very reasonable all the way around. The shocker, at the end, was the revelation by both the HR rep and our Safety guy that the building we're in is not posted (to prevent weapons) and the company has taken up no policy to prevent concealed carry in our office. Only then did I learn how many CCW permit holders were bringing their weapons to work.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Keep your mouth shut.

Observe others in the meeting.

Later suggest every office get a rubber door stop, you would be amazed at how a simple five dollar item can keep a door shut. I give one to every teacher my kids gets at school.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Only the outside wall offices have doors and walls-senior manager types. The rest of us are in cubicles.....soft walls n all.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Poker face.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Why do you care if they paint you as a gun guy? Can they put adverse action on you for it? Or do you carry against policy (fuck policy if it’s my life and there are no magnetometers at the door).

If I said anything, I’d be questioning whether or not entrances and “safe” rooms are truly hardened. I’d ask if it’s such a priority, why can’t folks carry legally if it’s lawful? I typically sneer at victim preparation training and I’m not very polite about it. This isn’t advice, just opinion driven. If saying things outside the collective will jam you up, say nothing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The ironic thing is that many 'active shooters' are so called disgruntled employees. They might be getting the same training as you and everyone else.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I teach a course "Workplace Violence Prevention, Mitigation, and Survival" for government and corporate entities. We stress that the best way to deal with active shooters is to not have one in the first place. First and foremost front load hiring practices so you don't hire the crazy in the first place. The greatest threat is the one in the tent with you. If you have a threatening employee get rid of them. Be aware of employees in a violent relationship that might spill over into the workplace. The security of the facility should keep outside threats out. All employees need a means of egress so they are not in a a trap. Facility design is important. Have an egress plan that gets everybody out quickly-do NOT hide under a Goddamn desk or table! Run Hide Fight is what's left when everything else failed.

I have a checklist that I can send you if you will send me an email. It will give rise to lots of non-gun questions you can ask, more of your employer than anything else.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Point out that most offices, closets, bathrooms, etc.... have drywall that won't stop someone kick though, let alone stop bullets. So ask where the real hardened "Safe Space" is located. Eek

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect the training to give you the opportunity to debate your company's gun policy. That's most likely a subject that the training consultant has no control over.

The hostile intruder training that I went through was beneficial and basically wanted you to think about what you could/would do if you were to be put in that situation (is there a legitimate safe place to go, or should you run, etc).

The natural thing is to hide under a desk, but that's generally not a good plan.

I would participate and be open to any ideas. It might save yours or someone else's lives.

War Eagle!

Posts: 128 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Nod and smile. Just nod and smile.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Why do you care if they paint you as a gun guy? Can they put adverse action on you for it? Or do you carry against policy (fuck policy if it’s my life and there are no magnetometers at the door).

Unfortunately all it takes is one person to say they feel threatened, or one HR person to take note and you could find yourself in a very difficult position if not out of the company. I've seen people removed for less - it is the "woke" culture and I cannot wait to be gone from the corporate world.

Be the grey man - just like when carrying day to day. I do not carry in the office because company specifically addressed after Fl allowed handguns in cars. There is zero tolerance for even a pen knife, immediate dismissal. Yeah be quiet, maybe get some trauma training if offered. It is all Kabuki theater.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We had the same class, but online/video based.
Pretty sure about 25% of this office is armed almost daily.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post