SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shipping a passport securely
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping a passport securely Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good morning, SF.

Mrs is on the other end of the state and will need her passport soon. It's here in the safe.

What's the SF-recommended shipping method? Of the big three (UPS, FedEx, USPS), which would you use, and why?

Thank you all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope with Adult Signature if you are in a hurry.

Priority Certified if you have two weeks.

Yep, I meant Registered. I think they send it in a Priority envelope and Register the item. Chain of custody the entire time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Quickly? Fed Ex or UPS next day. Securely? Registered mail? What is the one that is literally locked up from post office to post office with a chain of custody?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Registered mail.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you have a few days, I would use Registered Mail. My understanding is that it must be signed for every time it changes hands.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Registered Mail or, FedEx AM Priority.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Registered mail can sometimes travel at a very leisurely pace. If she needs it in less than 10 days, I'd use Fedex or UPS next day air.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'd just use USPS.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
If you have to ship it, I'd probably go UPS or FedEx Next Day Air. Personally, if at all possible I'd just hop in the car and take it to her. You said the other side of the state, not the other side of the country. Then again, I'm one of those odd ducks that don't mind spending 8+ hours in my car.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Send it overnight priority, where it's in someone else's hands the least amount of time.

FedEx has options where you can drop off at like 5pm and have it delivered by 10am the next day. And for something as small and light as a passport it's not very expensive.

It sits around less, changes hands fewer times, and there's a smaller chance for error.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
will need her passport soon.

I bought an ounce of gold from a forum member and had it shipped registered priority. I thought I would never get it. It was going from GA to Southwestern Virginia, they even shipped it to Washington D.C. where it fell off the radar for a few days.

I eventually got it after approximately 15 business days. And to think I paid extra for that.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .gov ships them using USPS. Next day or priority should be fine. Otherwise I'd use FedEx Priority Overnight with signature required.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
USPS overnight is pretty good, it's all hand sorted separate from the rest of the mail stream.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Here's my story about my times with the USPS and my passport, sent by Registered Mail.

I filled out all of the required documentation, to include my then current passport, for renewal and was sent via Registered Mail, with green Return Receipt Request Card. I tracked the package from my Branch all the way to the Philly station that handles the US State Dept mail; and there it sat and then got LOST in their own system.

After 1 week with still no action showing acceptance of the package, I then went back to my Branch and showed the counter man, via their own tracking system via Internet, what hadn't occurred.

He was most apologetic, and sent a tracer request off to the Philly Station. It was "found" in their system the next day, and about a week later I received my renewed passport.

Let's just hope you have better luck with Registered Mail than did this family when they sent the cremated remains of their mother from one city to another--still lost.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/3563...ins-of-indiana-woman

If you use the USPS, just be aware of the issues they seem to have with Registered Mail.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frogger:
I'm one of those odd ducks that don't mind spending 8+ hours in my car.

I get that, actually. Last fall, I was ready to drive to Michigan to pick up a friend who needed a ride home... to Virginia. In this particular case, though, I'm not inclined to spend 16 hours on the road just to deliver a passport.

After reading the suggestions so far, I'm inclined to FedEx this thing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Update: the mission may be scrubbed.
Mrs may be heading back here this week, negating the need to ship.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

God bless America.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
FedEx overnight with signature required.

If you have 1-2 days, Priority Mail with signature required

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Protect Your Shipments Registered Mail

Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office™.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
My passport was shipped by the State Department to me via simple USPS Priority mail. I would use that, adding Signature Confirmation and Restricted Delivery.

Registered Mail is for shipping valuables like a bars of silver or gold. A chain of custody is maintained. Shipping is secure, but very slow.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
If you're worried send it with a pistol or an AR lower.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post