SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NATO Watchbands
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NATO Watchbands Login/Join 
posted
I have a couple of high speed, low drag NATO nylon watchbands.
Problem:
After I wear them a while, despite me washing them, they begin to.... Stink!
So... Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions from the hive on de-funking? I am tempted to just toss them and buy new!
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Many years back we had a similar issue with a new batch of nomex flight suits. Simple Green took care of the issues.

I wear a nylon NATO daily...seldom take it off....never any funk. You are apparently one funky dude.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Try soaking the watch bands in vinegar before washing them.

Do you have the same problem w/ your clothing?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I scrub mine with a finger nail brush and soap. Works for me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I originally purchased my G-Shock it had a canvas band. I switched to rubber because of the smell.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all other facets of life, I smell delightful. Roses have nothing on me. No plausible idea why my watchbands reek. I even wear them in the shower and soap them up. No help.
This usually occurs after about a year of daily wear.

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a nylon NATO watchband on my G-Shock for a few years now, wear it every day, even during hot, humid summers or out jogging. I just wash it periodically with a little dish soap and hot water and have never had an issue.

The vinegar tip someone mentioned is probably a good idea to try.

Scrubbing it with hot water and some baking soda may help, too.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'm fat and I sweats freely. I just sniffed my NATO watchband and it doesn't stink. I wear it 24-7-365. Do you have yours chinched down real tight to where maybe your hand has begun to rot?

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few materials companies use to make NATO bands, I avoid the cloth-ish versions and stick with the nylon types that wont tend to absorb sweat and as a result don't get funky.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a band on a Swiss Army watch. I used to wash it once a week and let it dry out. A week later it smelled again.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of different ones for my Pro Trek and just throw them in the laundry with my cloths. Never had an issue at all.
I don't wear it in the shower or swimming etc..

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Exactly why I quit using them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses! I will try out the Simple Green. I understand you can use it for lots of stuff.

Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
After three years my luminox NATO strap reeked especially when it was wet. So I contacted Mr Truong to buy a new one. He suggested washing it in the dishwasher. I have it a try and it worked perfectly. I had tried just about everything else with no luck so give the dishwasher a try.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post