SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey, run to the store and get a couple more helicopters, will'ya?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, run to the store and get a couple more helicopters, will'ya? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Seems that some authorities treat multi-million dollar aviation assets like empty boxes of Wheatos...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ki1je_1520653795

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That pilot sure got out fast didnt he?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks like the ground crew didn't pull it to the center of the pad and the other pilot just got complacent with his normal routine.

He should have just put it down over on the taxiway and waited.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Women drivers Roll Eyes

"As she lowered the collective to land on pad 2 ...."

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Just take the replacement cost out of the dumbass ground crew's paychecks. Problem solved.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

That was the air support Lt.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Just take the replacement cost out of the dumbass ground crew's paychecks. Problem solved.

I didn't see ground crew directing her to land.

They just launched her 3 minutes earlier expecting her to be on a 1 hour flight.

Launch pad looks a bit too small for two helicopters.

End of the day, she flew her helicopter into another helicopter.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Saw two FBI pilots wreck a pair of MT Army Guard Hueys in exactly the same way. Except the Huey already on the ground still had his rotor turning.

One already on the ground, the second was in a hover to landing and they meshed blades. The results were spectacular....Thankfully (amazingly!) NO one hurt.

A few years later the land owner where this occurred, found a piece of rotor blade up in a tree, maybe 300 yds from the accident.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

He was standing beside it.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:

They just launched her 3 minutes earlier expecting her to be on a 1 hour flight.

The ground crew appear not to have put the helicopter on the big yellow helicopter parking square™ (with oil stains from helicopters being parked on it). It appears to be several feet closer to the adjacent pad than it should be. Granted, there is ample blame to go around for the pilot and the ground crew.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Holy shit.

Excessive focus by the pilot on the "parking space" rather than making sure the landing area was clear?

Not a helicopter expert but where the article says "substantial damage" I'm seeing total loss. Of two very nice birds. Shame.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Six year old story.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I guess the blades didn't mesh together like gears after all.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years later the land owner where this occurred, found a piece of rotor blade up in a tree, maybe 300 yds from the accident.

We were on field maneuvers, many years ago, and had a chopper trying to land at night. Rotors churned up a crap load of dust. Pilot lost visibility and the rotor hit a huge pine tree. Cut that tree off, and chopped several pieces of it off.

Chopper did a very hard landing, fell on its side and burst into flame. 2 men on board, both bailed out one made a clean exit but the other fell into a pool of flaming fuel. 2 of the ground crew tried to rescue him, experiencing some bad burns. Their efforts were not successful.

I was on radio duty at the time and had to handle all the comms.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both helicopters sustained substantial damage.

This seems like a bit of an understatement to me. 4 million dollars worth of equipment gone in an instant.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Both helicopters sustained substantial damage.

This seems like a bit of an understatement to me. 4 million dollars worth of equipment gone in an instant.

OH-58; military equipment, likely didn't cost the department anything. Retired out of the military, it's operated public use, and in that category isn't required to comply with FAA maintenance regulations, parts procurement, or any other FAA requirement, either. Cost is not what it might be were it a typical civil operation...so millions...no.

The person who wrote the liveleak commentary was off base and had no idea what he was talking about.

It's clear the department's immediate concern was for life, and then to assure the public that services to the public would not be uninterrupted. The liveleak commentator seems to think that the crew or the department owes the public some kind of apology.

Mishaps happen, and no doubt this was addressed in minute detail in-house.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am seeing things correctly, that's a hot refueling pad in the right of the video frame. At least it did not go up.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it does say "DANGER" in big yellow and black letters, in two places. Does nobody read the warnings in the instructions anymore.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:

The ground crew appear not to have put the helicopter on the big yellow helicopter parking square™ (with oil stains from helicopters being parked on it). It appears to be several feet closer to the adjacent pad than it should be. Granted, there is ample blame to go around for the pilot and the ground crew.

The key here is who has responsibility for the aircraft movement.
There are extenuating circumstances however with the heliport design.
Interesting to note that one corrective action was to remove the boxes.
The incoming pilot was focusing on the box rather than her surroundings.

Had the ground crew been providing direction with aircraft marshaling signals, yes you could blame them, but that was not the case here.

The outgoing pilot had considered water drainage and proximity to the fuel farm when he positioned his helicopter outside the box.

From NTSB report.
"Pilot N96BM

He stated that he had been pushing out N96BM when a call for assistance was requested, as N911FA had already departed he moved N96BM to Pad 1. The pilot stated that he placed the helicopter on the outside of Pad 1; he knew they would be off the ground in a couple of minutes or he would be up on radios. The pilot stated that his thought process was that, when he was up on radios he would check the weather, and request the pilot of N911FA start toward the priority call."

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That ground crewman was not only bit by the door & skid support of the helicopter he was standing next to, but when the rotor came off he got hit by that as well. Tough day

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post