SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FaceBook Principles Applied To Real Life
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FaceBook Principles Applied To Real Life Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
To others of my generation who still do not and cannot comprehend why Facebook even exists, here's what I'm doing to gain better understanding:

I am trying to make new friends without using Facebook, but while applying the same principles.

Every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later, and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, then give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

It works!

I already have four people following me: Two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Brilliant!

I "like" it.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
How can you do all this without a key board and ISP ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed that!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I'm on Facebook. But I use it as a news consolidation source. It depends on who you are ,"friends" with.

I am friends with others, I usually give them some good feels, or tweak them if they lean left. All with reposts of news and facts that are not in the media bias hole.

There is also some funny stuff on there.

But I, like you don't see the need to post personal stuff for the world to see.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Any adult who uses the term "unfriend" in any way except humorously is a mental midget.

Posts: 107570 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most EXCELLENT O.P.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. My GF keeps trying to get me on Facebook and snap chat. Not working.
"You'll have fun". I'll go out in the backyard and shoot if I want to have fun. I have no desire to see a bunch of people online doing ordinary everyday things.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It's not all folly... just mostly.
I find Facebook can be a useful tool. You can control who's post you see and who see yours. You don't have to post to or see the random public. I watch friends and relatives that I would otherwise have rare contact with for various reasons. I also have family members who follow other family but never actually post anything themselves.

You can learn a lot about people by watching their facebook activity. For example I found out my wife's out of state cousin, that I only met once and seemed like a well educated nice guy, is actually a flaming full on Trump hating retarded Liberal. I blocked him.

My sister and I and a few other people share road trip info, ideas and pictures and events of common interest.
If you have a hobby you can find a group of like minded folks, much like the forum here. For instance I belong to a smoking group (food) and a Cast Iron cookware collectors group.

It's what you make of it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
you're forgetting to tell them wildly untrue stories that can be easily refuted if anyone cared to bother doing so.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
you're forgetting to tell them wildly untrue stories that can be easily refuted if anyone cared to bother doing so.
What? You mean that people are not always truthful on FaceBook? Tell me it isn't so.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
You're doing it wrong.

Facebook works as intended when you only friend people you have met in person and want to associate with, or at least keep in touch with. This was how most intelligent people used it back when you had to have a college email to join.

Now that any moron with a free email address can join, it's devolved into exactly what you describe.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, that is worthy of a Pulitzer.

"Thumbs Up"

Mike (not on Facebook - but I own the stock)

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I can only smile. I don't have a facebook acct, I don't twitter or tweet, I don't even do texting on my smart phone. Facebook HQ is not all that far away, I have had friends, neighbors, students who work for FB.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a Pulitzer, but extraordinarily perceptive. Had a good chuckle. Technology is changing the way people think and relate to one another.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have a Facebook account so I can check up on workers' comp claimants I'm suspicious of. Social media is a phenomenal fraud investigation tool.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
That's great! Love it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Not a Pulitzer, but extraordinarily perceptive. Had a good chuckle. Technology is changing the way people think and relate to one another.

Nah, V-Tail has now changed social behaviors for the good. We just need a video V-Tail... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post