SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on quality and price of new gas water heater.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on quality and price of new gas water heater. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Our friend’s gas water heater is kaput. Tne brand is Bradford White. It lasted 7 yrs. on a 6 yr. warranty. It must be a builders model. I can’t find a local dealer so she probably doesn’t need another one of those.

It’s a 40 gal. 48” X 22” dia. gas heater.

What mid-level quality brand would the knowledgeable plumbing guys here recommend?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
I just had a small wet spot at the bottom of my electric water heater 40 gallon so any input on that would be great too. still works fine

im in Florida so im close to Lowes and Home Depot

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
water heaters are good for between 10 and 12 years

expect to pay about $1000 installed for a new one

I replaced the one in my house in NH that had a very small spot of water - when checked it was probably within a few months of a complete failure (which would have done a lot of damage to the basement) so I just swapped it out

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I went with a Rheem from HD, but installation was more because 60-year old single-wall vent was illegal.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I installed my own Bradford White 40 gallon for about $600 which includes supplies and tools. $800-900 was the plumber installed quote.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
A few days before Thanksgiving my wife told me there was no hot water on a cold morning. Checked it, and sure enough, no hot water. Ours is a gas water heater and around 12 years old. For sure out of warranty.

I did a check and there would be no immediate plumber support over the coming holiday period (unless you pay ransom level per hour charges). Heard from friends the going replacement price is from $1000 to $1400 bucks.

Figured what could I lose by taking a look at it? Water heaters are not rocket engines. Water heater has no leaks, clean water out of the bottom drain.

I pulled out the burner unit and found this-

I could have probably just soldered in another component but figured it was better to replace the whole unit. There were none available locally, (although Ace Hardware showed one in stock that we couldn't find). Took Ace Hardware a day to get the replacement burner assembly for $38.00 + tax.

I like shiny new things as much as anyone.
But if there is nothing wrong with the water heater shell itself sometimes it is worth taking a look at it-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell that to my two neighbors who have the original heaters to their respective houses. Installed in 1922. Eek

Ours was from 1908, and got replaced in 2007.

Sure don't make them like that anymore.!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
New water heater energy efficiency standards took effect April 2015, so any unit built after that has to comply. However, if one doesn't want the latest, there are still older ones in the supply chain.

Since your friend's is less than 55 gallons, a newly manufactured one may be an inch or two larger and can likely be placed where the old one was unless it was in a very tight spot.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Our last gas water heater, a 40 gal. Lochinvar, lasted fifteen years. I had it replaced before we went on vacation because it was running on borrowed time. (Having your water heater schitt the bed while you're several hundred miles away, on vacation, would be no fun.)

After a consult with our HVAC people, we had them replace it with another 40 gal. Lochinvar.

It is my understanding a gas-fired water heater should get you ±12 years of service--depending upon duty cycle and water characteristics.

Ours was full of sediment at the bottom. Turns out I should have been draining it from the bottom once-a-year or so, to clear that stuff out.

(Hmmm... Come to think of it: I think that means it's overdue...)

I think it was about $850, installed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gas or electric? My limited experience is that similar quality gas units generally last longer, depending a good bit on water quality. YMMV.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

Tell that to my two neighbors who have the original heaters to their respective houses. Installed in 1922. Eek

Ours was from 1908, and got replaced in 2007.

Sure don't make them like that anymore.!

Could have just replaced the coils and get another 60 years out of it Big Grin

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I had a guy contracted through home depot come and give me an estimate for a 40 gallon water heater a few years ago. He looked at it, pulled out his iPad, consulted some chart and said, "yeah, let's see. Ok that's going to be about $1,400." I laughed in the guys face and told him to take a hike. "Well, don't shoot the messenger you know," he tells me. Whatever, see ya buddy. Freakin' absurd since the price of the water heater I was looking at at HD was around $5-600. So labor is ~$800? Jackass.

I knew the water heater was on its last legs but kept putting changing it off after that as I just didn't get around to doing it. About three months later while I was on the ship of course my wife called me and says there's no hot water. The heater finally crapped out.

I ended finding a guy that day through Home Advisor who quoted me $800 over the phone installed for a 40 gallon gas Rheem unit. I said, sold! He was there in less than 2 hours and had it swapped out in about an hour. Wife paid him $800 in cash. Beautiful. She was happy as a clam because she thought she'd be showering at the gym before work.

Screw home depot for sending that guy to my place. $1,400...I could've smacked the guy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
^^Now THAT is a water heater!!^^

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I've got a $400/$500 Rheem from Home Depot because that's what I had instantly available when my last one sprung a leak.

I'm pretty handy, so installing it myself wasn't a problem. 30 minutes or so worth of work. The new heaters are a few inches taller than the old due to the additional insulation. Luckily the original heaters here were on blocks, so by setting the new heater lower to the floor it fit just fine to the original plumbing.

I would think $200 to $300 would be fair for the labor to install it if you were hiring it out.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it leaking? Assume so, if not, fix it.

Bradford White is the leader in the 'tanked' water heater industry. Might have been a fluke, or water conditions/usage might have shortened its life.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll go out of my way to get a Bradford White, especially if it is "light duty commercial" or better. If not, there is always the home center brands. I remember 20-some years ago GE put out a nice-looking product, available at HD.

Regarding the price to install a water heater:

The job is a liability which does not end after installation. Why price one's labor as a laborer does?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has advocated for a tankless unit.

Depending on the circumstances if your friend has a family and does a fair amount of laundry and if he anticipates being in the home for over 5 years I would definitely tell him to go tankless. It will save him money in the long run provided there are no complications installing it.

I would recommend a Navian unit or Rinnai.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A plan came together so fast it made my head spin. Some guys from church got wind of her plight; facing a three week wait for someone to install it.
One guy got her a good discount.
One is delivering it.
Two will remove the old one and get the new one up into the attic.
Another will hook it up and get it going tomorrow.
The heater was $384 and the rest is free.
She’s an old friend, a retired school teacher still having to do some substitute work to survive after just overcoming cancer. I’d say she deserved a break. The only problem was everybody wanted to get into the act. Smile
Thanks for the information guys.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAEIndustries:
I just had a small wet spot at the bottom of my electric water heater 40 gallon so any input on that would be great too. still works fine

im in Florida so im close to Lowes and Home Depot

For what it's worth, I just received a quote today for a new 40g RHEEM for $900-$950 installed.
My plumber, who I like, explained that this unit is not the same as those sold in the big box stores under the same name.

YMMV.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news.

So, was it leaking?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post