SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Faith and civil leaders launch boycott of businesses in St. Louis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faith and civil leaders launch boycott of businesses in St. Louis Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
As holidays approach, faith and civil leaders launch boycott of businesses in St. Louis

The Rev. Dinah Tatman and faith leaders speak in support of the economic boycott.

As protests over the Jason Stockley verdict continue in St. Louis, the persistent chant of “no justice, no profits ” can be heard. Now, that credo is being put into action.

Community activists are using the upcoming holiday season as an opportunity to launch an economic boycott campaign from “any entities that do not respect us or our purchasing power” said the Rev. Dinah Tatman, CEO and founder of Greater New Vision Ministries Inc. in St. Louis.

Tatman is leading the effort, along with other faith, business, and civic leaders, to cause an economic impact on the region. They are asking their members of their congregations to boycott certain businesses in order to bring about positive changes for African-Americans.

On Thursday, activists began distributing door hangers on homes around to discourage residents from participating in Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

Activists say African-Americans are disproportionately adversely affected socially and economically in St. Louis and they need to use their wallets to bring attention to issues like abuses by police and over-criminalization.

Tatman said the boycott is an extension of the ongoing protests. She said that along, “with those who are protesting physically with their feet, we are also protesting with our dollars.”

The campaign targets businesses including US Bank, Burger King, Shell, and Schnucks. They say many of these businesses have a history of discriminating against African-Americans.

Also included on the list is the Galleria Mall where police officers arrested 22 protesters on Sept. 23.

Instead of shopping at the businesses on the boycott list, organizers have compiled a list of black-owned banks, businesses, and websites they hope the public will support.

“We have to take charge of our own communities,” said Ronald Bobo, senior pastor of the Westside Missionary Baptist Church.

Bobo encouraged African-Americans to present a united front in order to change their economic position. He said the businesses that the boycott targets have taken their community for granted and now is the time to motivate change among the business community.

Though organizers realize that such a boycott could impact businesses that employ African-Americans, they believe their overall goal will outweigh any short-term negative implications.

“Sometimes we have to make sacrifices,” said Minister Donald Muhammad of the Muhammad Mosque 28 in St. Louis.

Muhammed believes the economic boycott will bring city leaders together to create needed policy changes that will improve the lives of African-Americans in the region.

Protests have continued in St. Louis since Sept. 15, when St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson found former city police officer Jason Stockley not guilty in the first-degree murder of Anthony Lamar Smith.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org...ses-st-louis?ito=792

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Well son-of-a-gun, I've been an 'activist' for years and didn't know it. I've boycotted Black Friday and the weak-tea Monday counterpart for years and these guys are just now catching up.

Now I suppose to get the T-shirt I need to make the statement that I will only give my custom to white owned and operated business so I can support my community. Just curious though, I wonder how that will go over./

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL "faith and civil" LOL

They don't know fuckall about faith or civility.

I'm certain these fine people know something about race-baiting and inciting violence.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Community activists are using the upcoming holiday season as an opportunity to launch an economic boycott campaign from “any entities that do not respect us or our purchasing power” said the Rev. Dinah Tatman, CEO and founder of Greater New Vision Ministries Inc. in St. Louis.

Liquor stores and dope dealers will be hit hard?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Is this the 'purpchasing power' they're talking about? Just another bunch of tanned nitwits.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Bless their hearts.

They are not out burning down the corner CVS. They are not out blocking the interstate. They are not even crowding the sidewalks.

Peaceful protest like it is supposed to be done.

I wonder if they have paid any attention to the outcome of other boycotts by the left? you know, Chick-fil-a, Ivanka Trump, and so on. I wish they would boycott my local mall, then it might become a nice place to go shop at.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Tax exempt, anyone??

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Actually.... I'm all for this:
quote:

“We have to take charge of our own communities,” said Ronald Bobo, senior pastor of the Westside Missionary Baptist Church.
Bobo encouraged African-Americans to present a united front in order to change their economic position. He said the businesses that the boycott targets have taken their community for granted and now is the time to motivate change among the business community.

Isn't that what we ALL SHOULD be doing?
Taking charge of our own communities?

And besides that, if they stay out of the stores that I frequent I won't mind one bit... everyone will be a lot safer.
At least if they don't go there they won't loot and burn it down, right?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Bless their hearts.

They are not out burning down the corner CVS. They are not out blocking the interstate. They are not even crowding the sidewalks.

Peaceful protest like it is supposed to be done.

I wonder if they have paid any attention to the outcome of other boycotts by the left? you know, Chick-fil-a, Ivanka Trump, and so on. I wish they would boycott my local mall, then it might become a nice place to go shop at.

Well said and wholeheartedly factual.

Doesn't make them any less the maroons they are, but at least they're doing it peacefully.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
How does potentially causing businesses to fail in your city improve your economic condition? Confused

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
How does potentially causing businesses to fail in your city improve your economic condition? Confused

Because after they fail, they will ask (demand) handouts from the government to "stimulate commerce" or some such thing. It's a shakedown.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I find myself wondering if they're also going to boycott their EBT cards, Welfare checks, etc... You know, all those nasty influences from "The Man" they get each and every month?

“We have to take charge of our own communities,” said Ronald Bobo, senior pastor of the Westside Missionary Baptist Church...

I agree wholeheartedly! How about starting by staying around the home and family and teaching those children you brought into the world right from wrong and self-sufficiency??

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice any banks on their list.....

I have heard that St. Louis Community Credit Union is "black owned", but their CEO/President is a white guy.

Suppose they'll have to boycott all banks.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post