SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    YoutubeTV just raised prices 30% - recommend a new internet TV option
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YoutubeTV just raised prices 30% - recommend a new internet TV option Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
For my viewing, Hulu+Live is the best option to YouTube TV, which I've had for a couple of years now. My prediction is that a ton of people will defect YouTube TV to go to Hulu+Live, and then in less than 6 months Hulu+Live will go to $63.99, just a hair below YouTube TV.

Actually looking at Hulu right now. I have YTTV, had it for maybe 2 years and have seen 2 price jumps. Has Hulu been pretty good? I already have a hulu without commercials for $12 so if I can just add the live TV and take the price up to $55 or whatever and drop YTTV that saves about $20/mo for me.

Sorry, my grammar wasn't very good. I've had YouTube TV for a couple of years now. I am also looking at switching to Hulu+Live.

The reason I went with Youtube versus Hulu was there was a channel or two that Hulu didn't have that I really like.....it was either Discovery channel, Bravo, or Natgeo.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to see a true a la carte service. A list of every channel offered and the cost per channel. You then chose just the channels you want. I've read that $8 per month of a subscribers bill is just for ESPN. Channels like TBS, TNT, and Hallmark would be like $2, maybe $1 for Comedy Central or MTV, and all the crappy channels nobody wants would be like 25 cents. You could create a package of just the channels you actually watch for like $20. But that won't happen because the business model seems to be based on using the highly viewed channels to force cable operators to also carry all the other channels no one wants.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
This what I've hoped to see for a long time, I just don't think itll ever happen. I hardly watch any live TV, pretty much only Kings games. The wife watches some shows, but probably on 2 or 3 channels. We could probably get by with 5 channels or less, since we have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon.

quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I want to see a true a la carte service. A list of every channel offered and the cost per channel. You then chose just the channels you want. I've read that $8 per month of a subscribers bill is just for ESPN. Channels like TBS, TNT, and Hallmark would be like $2, maybe $1 for Comedy Central or MTV, and all the crappy channels nobody wants would be like 25 cents. You could create a package of just the channels you actually watch for like $20. But that won't happen because the business model seems to be based on using the highly viewed channels to force cable operators to also carry all the other channels no one wants.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2429 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I'm with you two. I was HOPING Comcast, et.al, would venture into the a la carte market after Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime arrived on the scene and were successful. Guess not. Hence why I dumped Comcast YEARS ago. With Netflix and Prime, I have more viewing material than I could ever watch. Add in hockey season from October thru June (when the bullshit of CV-19 isn't f**king things up for no real reason at all) and my TV viewing in the off season is easy! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
What I didn't like about Hulu was the amount of commercials. Oh, you could buy the commercial free option, but then you'd only get the commercials that come from the broadcasting company. Roll Eyes

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
I'm with you two. I was HOPING Comcast, et.al, would venture into the a la carte market after Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime arrived on the scene and were successful. Guess not.

Well, part of the problem is existing contracts. But even were those not an impediment, I think you still wouldn't see it.

Look at the difference in content. The former group offers "premium" channels with sports and current movies from the big studios, and local channel line-ups. The latter group does not. That is why you'll never see à la carte from the former group. That "premium" content--particularly the sports, and those local channels cost a bundle. The only way they can offer them affordably is to bundle them in with cheaper offerings so the cheaper offerings subsidize the more expensive ones.

If they offered à la carte the cheaper offerings that relatively few watch would go under due to insufficient subscribers. The premium offerings would go under because few would want to pay for them.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
What I didn't like about Hulu was the amount of commercials. Oh, you could buy the commercial free option, but then you'd only get the commercials that come from the broadcasting company. Roll Eyes

Wait... what? Hulu throws commercials atop the commercials? Hahahahahaha! No. Just... no.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post