SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    YoutubeTV just raised prices 30% - recommend a new internet TV option
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YoutubeTV just raised prices 30% - recommend a new internet TV option Login/Join 
posted
I was an early adaptor to youtube TV when they offered a scant 35 channels back in 2017. In just three years they will have doubled the price from $32.99 to $65.99.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in this too. I’ve used PlayStation Vue, Sling, and DirectTV Now. All of them have raised their prices. I’m starting to wonder if it’s not just as economical to go back to cable.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I’m starting to wonder if it’s not just as economical to go back to cable.
We're nearing that pricepoint. The only positive out of this price hike is YoutubeTV has added some new channels as of today, a couple of which are welcomed (i.e. Paramount Network for the Yellowstone series). Just peachy for me given I bought Yellowstone Season 3 on Amazon Prime yesterday for $19.99. Guess I'll be chasing a refund on that later this evening. Mad

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got that email as well.

I primarily got YTTV for EXPN so I could watch Formula 1.
May look into dropping YTTV & going to F1 access for next season.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15111 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have internet / TV package from Time Warner / BrightHouse / Spectrum (whatever they're calling themselves this week).

I priced out various combinations, keeping the internet service, dropping the TV portion and going to a streaming service instead. We save money by staying with what we have.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
But they are adding BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
But they are adding BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1.

Have you seen CMT, VH1 and MTV lately? They are nothing like they used to be.

Posts: 8994 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Might want to try cutting away from all the pay services just like when you "cut the cord" (or equivalent).

Personally I've found that I don't miss being able to watch the so-called latest and greatest, nor sports for that matter which aren't the respite from "current events" they used to be.

The Mandalorian, Yellowstone, and Picard I'll see in due time. Interestingly the first 2 seasons of Yellowstone and the one of Picard were just streamed on free channels on my RokuTV.

So I've been content to stay with free channels like PlutoTV, Tubi, etc. Commercials are handled with the remote's mute button. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16133 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I dropped Youtube TV and replaced it with Hulu.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5040 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Haven't did any checking today but I have PHILO and they have both Paramount and Yellowstone last I checked and the bill is still around $20 or $22 last I checked.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to fuboTV during soccer season, but cancel it afterward. They have a lot of the channels mentioned here as well.

espn+ will carry the Bundesliga next season (my preferred league), so I will probably pay for that.

Other than that, I do not subscribe to any pay services.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2824 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
We have internet / TV package from Time Warner / BrightHouse / Spectrum (whatever they're calling themselves this week).

I priced out various combinations, keeping the internet service, dropping the TV portion and going to a streaming service instead. We save money by staying with what we have.
After this price hike I'm going to go back and do a price and channel comparison between what I have with YouTubeTV and what I'd have with Spectrum and see here that leaves me.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

After this price hike I'm going to go back and do a price and channel comparison between what I have with YouTubeTV and what I'd have with Spectrum and see here that leaves me.

What spectrum offered me was only about $12/ month less than youtube tv. I think I will get F1 on demand for a month or so and see how it works out.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
People are stuck home and want entertainment, more demand = rising prices...

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Shocked Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19078 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I’m interested in this too. I’ve used PlayStation Vue, Sling, and DirectTV Now. All of them have raised their prices. I’m starting to wonder if it’s not just as economical to go back to cable.

Look into Dish network. I’ve skipped the whole cord pulling thing and stayed with them. The trick is those basic tv programming packages. I stay away from those. I’m on the least basic programming package that they allow, then I load it up with movie channels. I have all of the movie channels. I pay $77 a month. That’s a 4K DVR + 3 4k Joey boxes for 4 TV’s. I don’t watch commercial television (loathe commercials) at all and only watch movies and I like flipping movie channels and recording my favorites. If I didn’t have all the movie channels, I’d bet it would be $30-40 a month. With these services today you have to really investigate the packages, monthly costs, etc. I know when The Last Dance was about come on ESPN, I called Dish and to have the package that ESPN is in, added, it would have added something like $35-40 a month to my bill. I said fuck that, and signed up for ESPN’s streaming service for $5 just to watch the Last Dance then canceled the shit.

What I like is my movie channels aren’t dependent on the internet. Internet goes down (it’s pretty reliable) I don’t give a damn, satellite service still works. Dish is fairly priced because there is no middle man. DirecTV is not the same because ATT bought them and they try to fleece.

The only thing that will get me to cancel is if Dish merges or is bought. If they do that I’m out. I do know people who are rotating services every month but that’s too much for me. With Dish I only have to call a few times a year to see if any of my stuff (channels/packages) have any promotional rates. My bill will vary due to this from high $60 range up to about $90 at the max. Average is around $75.

I knew the streaming services would do this. It’s like what internet providers do, offer you the first 12 months for cheap, then the second 12 month they jack the price. But it’s worse because the streaming services, each and everyone of them, is taking their ball and running home. And they are all doing their own series to get your money. By the time you sign up for 3, 4, or 5 of them you are spending more than you would with some cable or satellite services.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
We just dropped Spectrum and went with YoutubeTV and Friendly TV last week. Got the email today and wasn't too happy, but we're still saving nearly $100 a month over cable.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
By the time you sign up for 3, 4, or 5 of them you are spending more than you would with some cable or satellite services.

'cept we won't be doing that. E.g.: Disney's pulling all their content from Netflix? *shrug* Ok, no more Disney for us. We rented the latest SW from Amazon Prime, just as we would have from a local video rental store. That's it. And if NF or AP become more expensive than we feel they're worth, they'll be outta here.

NF + AP + DVR subscription + One America News = $37/mo. We're not inclined to spend more than that for watching TV and movies.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

What spectrum offered me was only about $12/ month less than youtube tv. I think I will get F1 on demand for a month or so and see how it works out.
It all depends on what channels you want when it comes to Spectrum. Spectrum still has the 'package' approach, and the last time I checked a couple years ago, to get what I wanted, I had to add-on two additional packages taking my bill for cable TV up over $90/month. YouTubeTV started out at around half of that with most of the channels I wanted, making them a good option at the time. Like I noted, I'll have to analyze this again to see where I'm at now.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I got the email too. We signed up 60 days ago as it’s the only service with locals. We live in the sticks. I could understand $5 but $15 - 30%? Gimme a break. Time will tell.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post