SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do Not Resuscitate
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Not Resuscitate Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
There is one other way, when your spouse discovers you have passed, wait an hour or more before calling 911. Paramedics will not resusitate if there are signs that a patient has been dead for some time. Cooling, rigor and dependent lividity are signs of being non-resusitatable. Again my prayers for your peace and comfort.
Spunk

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We put my mother into a rehab facility with a “Do not Resuscitate” order. Finished, we went down the street to an IHOP for dinner.
Just as we finished, the facility called. My mother had collapsed and we were needed. I fully expected this was the end.
When we got there, there was a fire truck, and ambulance parked in front. An EMT was walking out. He told us Mom had been resucitated and they were moving her to the hospital. I exploded. My wife went nuclear. No hospital. The ward confessed that they “grabbed the wrong chart” as an excuse. Mom was unconscious with labored breathing. We then spent eight hours at her bedside. The she woke up.
Four weeks later she passed.
Unless things are very, very clear. Unless there is the threat of legal action, don’t trust a “Do not resusitate” order.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
May I just say that I hope to have a tiny bit of the grace, courage and humor you have when I inevitably face the reaper. More likely there will be little girl screaming and yelling with me but I respect the hell out of you.

Prayers, respect and hope for miracles for you and yours sir.

Well said, and I couldn’t agree more
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Again I am sorry that you are having to make this decision. Make sure that you have someone you can trust as your medical power of attorney. This person should truly understand your wishes. I have been the medical power of attorney for three people over the last 2 years. One was mine for my mom. The medical staff at the hospital kept wanting to perform "heroic" measures. I had to keep reminding them "why" and what will do you with the results. I admire their drive to keep her alive, but that is not what she wanted. Those were some of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make.

Have you wife call hospice when she thinks that you have passed. I pray for strength for her during this time.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post