SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness Geeks: Just Finished Creatine Loading Phase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness Geeks: Just Finished Creatine Loading Phase Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Finally got back on a regular weight-training regimen two months ago. Just as I was going to throw cardio into the mix, my fitness club started a 21-day body fat loss percentage challenge, with the prize being a 32" Samsung Smart TV. Perfect for the Man Cave Smile That was all the additional motivation I needed.

Dumped all sugar. Swore off all alcoholic beverages. Highly-restricted carb intake. (My loving wife is helping. Made buckwheat biscuits to go with beef stew, the other night, and left potato out of the stew.) Added pre-workout BCAA. (Normally only add BCAA to my workout water.)

And finally added creatine to my supplement stack.

To most effectively use creatine the common recommendation is to go through a "loading phase." The most commonly-recommended regimen is 20 grams/day for 5-7 days. I tried five one day. No problem. Did ten for a couple days. No problem. Bumped it to fifteen/day. No problem. Last two days I jumped it to twenty. No problem. (N.B.: In all cases it was 5g at a time.)

Glad that's done. The creatine I'm using, Bulk Supplements brand, mixes pretty easily, but still it was sometimes a bit of a PITA. Now I'll drop to 5g/day. On days off I'll toss it into my morning orange juice (no sugar added) and on workout days it'll go into my protein shake.

I'm not certain whether it's the creatine, pre-workout BCAA, improving fitness level, or some combination of these, but, while I'm not sure I'm getting more intense workouts, I've never experienced such rapid recovery times as I am now.

For those interested, here are a couple informative articles on how to use creatine, and its benefits:

Clearing Up The Creatine Confusion: Steps For Correct Use!
Creatine: Why Use It? Scientific Support To Back Its Benefits

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Kudos on the fitness move but a man-cave sans alcohol (or cigars) is just wrong. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Kudos on the fitness move but a man-cave sans alcohol (or cigars) is just wrong. Frown

Thank you.

Oh, make no mistake: There will be alcohol and there may even be cigars. The swearing-off of alcohol, the highly-carb-restricted diet, and the pre-workout BCAA are simply to boost my muscle gain and fat loss so as to win the Challenge.

(My goal is a minimum of 3% body fat loss--preferably four, if I can do it.)

The creatine I have not yet decided about. Some say you should use it only in intervals, while others suggest there are benefits to be realized taking it continuously. Need to do more research.

(Jager Bombs are not the way I'd be inclined to try to accomplish my goals Wink.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
As you increase your creatine intake, increase your water intake. Creatine is massively abusive to the kidneys. I have taken care of some incredibly healthy looking specimens (18 years old, multiple workouts a day) in kidney failure/rhabdomyolysis because of supplements.

Are you running any of this past your doctor? Give him specific numbers and intervals.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 3% is doable. How is BF being measured?

I've never really messed with creatine much, I do know your fat loss plan should work! I dropped 7% in 4 months with a similar approach. So, 1.75%/month rate, but I wasn't going all-out for 21 days straight, I tailored my approach to the time available (it was a 4-month challenge, went from 16% to 9%).

Great fitness tip though, enter a challenge! Could be a 5k or obstacle race. A fat loss challenge. It doesn't have to mean anything really, just provide a little external motivation and accountability (not wanting to look dumb to family and others participating).

P.S. I'd recommend ditching the am OJ, it is just concentrated fructose and a bad way to break a fast when your body is primed for fat burning after not eating all night. 8oz OJ has 24g carbs, only 6g shy of what I would be taking in the entire day when I was doing very low carb.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, creatine works, but it is no miracle. After you get up to as saturated as your body can UTILIZE there is no further benefit. But I am also a long-time vegetarian, which is one of the categories that creatine supplementation helps most.

Also, it works best in the medium-length high intensity efforts, so it is great for things like repeated hill attacks in bike races where the effort lasts 1-5 minutes. But the data on short-term strength gains or long-term endurance seems spotty and inconclusive. It will also make you retain water, so a lot of the weight gain is just water. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because muscle and all tissues are really mostly water. But it can skew your weight-loss and body fat measurements, depending on what system you are using.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
As you increase your creatine intake, increase your water intake.

Of course. Being well-hydrated is good advice in any event.

quote:
Creatine is massively abusive to the kidneys.

Thanks for the caution, but all of the research I did, which included reports of controlled studies, indicated adverse effect on the kidneys was anecdotal, and there was no evidence to substantiate it.

However increased blood pressure in some users is well-documented. I went back to twice-daily BP measurement to ensure I would not be one of those, as I'm currently on 5mg/day of lisinopril for marginally high BP.

Didn't suffer any gastrointestinal upset or bloating, as some do, either.

quote:
I have taken care of some incredibly healthy looking specimens (18 years old, multiple workouts a day) in kidney failure/rhabdomyolysis because of supplements.

"Because of supplements" I can believe, but which supplement(s)? E.g.: I've watched young guys slam-down heavily-caffeine-loaded pre-workout shakes, which, IMO, is just plain st00pid.

quote:
Are you running any of this past your doctor? Give him specific numbers and intervals.

I've run several things past my current GPs over the years. Their general responses ranged from "Don't know" to "I wouldn't recommend that" to freaking out over the heart rates I hit doing HIIT.

Truth is the average GP doesn't appear to be well-read on sports fitness--and that includes supplementation. So I do my own research, paying careful attention to who's doing the research and reporting. I did that with BCAA, and I did that with creatine. I am satisfied that each, used in moderation, is safe and effective.

quote:
Luck,

Bruce

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Look into intermittent fasting, it can be a great tool for fat loss, it extends the golden time where your body is burning its own fat for energy. Not every day, but maybe 3x per week.

It isn't about caloric reduction, you still hit whatever your daily cal and macro targets are, you just do it in a shorter eating window and extend the fasting window from overnight to 16+ hours. You still have plenty of energy.

Depending on when you workout, the timing can help as well. Afternoon workouts? Break the fast with a late lunch which serves as a pre-workout meal. Post-workout nutrition and dinner same as any day, but you probably don't have to worry about portion size at dinner as it is only your 2nd meal for the day.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I think 3% is doable. How is BF being measured?

One of those Omron hand-held electronic devices. Not optimal, I know, but it does seem to be, if not strictly accurate, at least consistent.

quote:
I've never really messed with creatine much, I do know your fat loss plan should work!

Thanks! I certainly hope so!

quote:
I dropped 7% in 4 months with a similar approach. So, 1.75%/month rate, but I wasn't going all-out for 21 days straight, I tailored my approach to the time available (it was a 4-month challenge, went from 16% to 9%).

Going from 16% to 9% in four months is impressive, IMO.

quote:
P.S. I'd recommend ditching the am OJ, it is just concentrated fructose and a bad way to break a fast when your body is primed for fat burning after not eating all night. 8oz OJ has 24g carbs, only 6g shy of what I would be taking in the entire day when I was doing very low carb.

I've thought about it. But it's less than 8 oz., it's cut by about 20% with water, and it's 100% OJ with no sugar added.

I may cut it, anyway. What the heck: If I can cut my nightly beer with dinner, I can lose the OJ, too.

ETA: Looked at the carton. You're right, Strambo: That's a lot of sugar carbs, even if it is 100% real fruit juice w/no sugar added. It's out!

quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
For me, creatine works, but it is no miracle. After you get up to as saturated as your body can UTILIZE there is no further benefit.

Yup. That's why I'll drop back to 5g/day, now. My cells should be saturated at this point.

quote:
But I am also a long-time vegetarian, which is one of the categories that creatine supplementation helps most.

Indeed.

quote:
Also, it works best in the medium-length high intensity efforts, so it is great for things like repeated hill attacks in bike races where the effort lasts 1-5 minutes. But the data on short-term strength gains or long-term endurance seems spotty and inconclusive.

I'm using it mainly to improve short-length, high-intensity endurance (lifting) and for recovery improvement.

quote:
It will also make you retain water, so a lot of the weight gain is just water.

That does not seem to have happened to me. I have made certain to remain well-hydrated, but my weight has remained fairly constant and I've suffered zero bloat.

quote:
That's not necessarily a bad thing, because muscle and all tissues are really mostly water. But it can skew your weight-loss and body fat measurements, depending on what system you are using.

Yeah... I wondered about that, so I looked up things like "creatine and body fat loss" and the like. Most of what I found indicated that creatine helps in BF loss by helping improve muscle bulk, and more muscle means higher calorie burn rate even at rest.

quote:
Look into intermittent fasting, it can be a great tool for fat loss, it extends the golden time where your body is burning its own fat for energy. Not every day, but maybe 3x per week.

Already considered adding that to the mix--doing 16-hour fasts. (Already did it once, in fact.) Was going to do that from last night into this morning, but work up with a mild headache this morning, which experience led me to suspect was nutrition-related. Ate a low-carb protein bar and that Evil Glass Of OJ Wink, and it went away.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, everybody Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
As you increase your creatine intake, increase your water intake. Creatine is massively abusive to the kidneys. I have taken care of some incredibly healthy looking specimens (18 years old, multiple workouts a day) in kidney failure/rhabdomyolysis because of supplements.

Luck,

Bruce
Yeah but that $300 TV.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to be a downer, but my goal has always been good health, not "fitness." There are risks with any supplement. If the risk is worth it to you for a stink' tv, go for it.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Don't mean to be a downer, but my goal has always been good health, not "fitness." There are risks with any supplement. If the risk is worth it to you for a stink' tv, go for it.

Creatine aside, health and fitness are by no means mutually exclusive. At the extreme end of fitness they diverge, but for the average non-athlete, they very much can (and should) go hand in hand.

posted Hide Post
ensigmatic,

Have you ever eaten very low carb for a prolonged (as in a few days or more) period of time before? If so, disregard. If not:

When switching to a very low carb/ketogenic diet for the first time, you will experience the "carb flu." Basically, your body would much rather burn carbs for quick energy like the OJ and biscuit (whole grain or not) than have to convert fat for energy which is a major PITA. So, your body is going to fight you on this. You will feel kinda blah, may get headaches, low energy and generally "off." Similar to flu or cold like symptoms.

This only lasts 1-2 weeks max however (for me and my wife, a little over a week). Once your body adapts, the "off" feeling symptoms go away and your energy levels off to a nice steady state, whether you are eating or not (no longer depending on quick carb hits).

The best part; your metabolism is now very flexible. In the absence of carbs, it will go into ketosis and convert fat for energy seamlessly with no drama. In the absence of any food (fasting), it will just burn body fat for energy (after glycogen stores are depleted), no drama. If you do eat carbs for awhile (that your body will still happily burn), then go back to low carb....you won't go through the "carb flu" again.

So, if you haven't gone through this yet, keep track of your macros and keep the carbs under 50g net (total carbs minus fiber) per day until you get through the carb flu stage at least. I would NOT do intermittent fasting while going through this transition.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Good for you for talking to a doctor, even a clueless GP Wink
Try a sports medicine doctor and a nutritionist for better advice.
I have no doubt that creatine will stop you from cannibalising muscle for energy during high intensity training combined with carb elimination. Good thinking, there.
What a nutritionist can do for you is measure exactly how much protein and creatine you need to fuel your body and meet your goals.
"More" is not necessarily better and can be much worse.

Keep us posted!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't mean to be a downer, but my goal has always been good health, not "fitness."

They are not mutually exclusive.

quote:
There are risks with any supplement. If the risk is worth it to you for a stink' tv, go for it.

*Tsk* You know what they say about assumptions. I have been using protein powder supplements for probably five years or better. BCAA for at least three. I had already determined to give creatine a try--my decision to finally do so just happened to coincide with the Challenge.

The TV is inconsequential. I can buy one at Costco for $250. Probably less when they go on sale, if I'm patient. It's the winning the Challenge, challenging myself, and getting more fit that's interesting.

quote:
ensigmatic,

Have you ever eaten very low carb for a prolonged (as in a few days or more) period of time before? If so, disregard. If not:

No, I have not. I will keep your comments in mind, however.

quote:
Good for you for talking to a doctor, even a clueless GP Wink

Well, my GP's haven't been exactly "clueless," but they've been poorly-versed in sports medicine.

quote:
Try a sports medicine doctor and a nutritionist for better advice.

I would do that if I had any indication that what I'm doing was potentially injurious, but every time I've ever gone for a physical or any other exam I've been proclaimed to be "as healthy as a horse."

quote:
I have no doubt that creatine will stop you from cannibalising muscle for energy during high intensity training combined with carb elimination. Good thinking, there.

Thanks.

(Btw: I expect to gain muscle mass during this Challenge Wink.)

quote:
What a nutritionist can do for you is measure exactly how much protein and creatine you need to fuel your body and meet your goals.

Understood, but that kind of consult certainly wouldn't have been covered under my old health plan and I doubt Medicare will be amenable, either Wink

quote:
"More" is not necessarily better and can be much worse.

No question. What I'm doing is going with commonly recommended intake levels, or less. E.g.: I take far less protein powder than many hard-core workout types do.

I appreciate the counsel.

quote:
Keep us posted!

Bruce

Will do Smile

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As promised: Update

Well, that was bullshit Frown

Twenty one days of a low-carb (±50 grams/day on average) diet. Interval fasting one to two times/week. Half-hour of HIIT Monday & Friday. Weight training Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Didn't miss a single workout in 21 days. Dropped 6-8 pounds. Went from a 36" waist jean to a comfortable 34" jean with some "done lop". Increased both strength (weight training) and cardio intensity/endurance. Gained more prominent muscle definition shoulders-to-calves--particularly the legs and except for abs.

End of the body fat loss challenge was today. Weighed-in. The hand-held Omron Body Fat Analyser they use claimed I had the same body fat percentage as the day I started!

Not. Possible.

So I essentially spent $25 (the sign-up fee) to motivate me to kick my fitness program into high gear. And that's ok. It worked. But I sure would like to know how much body fat I really lost.

Manager at the club estimates about 2%. (He used to work at a weight loss clinic.) I think that's low. Six pounds is 3% of 192 pounds (my starting weight), alone. And that's assuming I only maintained muscle bulk. Being as I was pushing more weight/resistance for more reps/sets than when I started, I'm thinking I gained muscle fiber. Which, if true, would mean more than 3% body fat loss.

I won't be entering any more challenges that depend upon an electronic "impedance" measuring device, that's for damn sure Mad

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. If you lost 2" on your waist you lost body fat, period. The measuring device is full of crap if it says you are the same, not possible. Did you take before and after photos, if only for yourself?

In any case, the weight loss and 2" in 21 days is great work, good job!

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Omron Body Fat Analyser

According to the device website it uses resistance (well, Bioelectric Impedance but oh, well) to estimate body fat. According to the Wikipedia entry on that technology it is not astoundingly accurate for individuals, and some routine things can throw it off as what it does is try to guesstimate the amount of water in your body and back-calculate body fat from that.
quote:
Dehydration is a recognized factor affecting BIA measurements as it causes an increase in the body's electrical resistance, so has been measured to cause a 5 kg underestimation of fat-free mass i.e. an overestimation of body fat.[3]

Body fat measurements are lower when measurements are taken shortly after consumption of a meal, causing a variation between highest and lowest readings of body fat percentage taken throughout the day of up to 4.2% of body fat.[4]

Moderate exercise before BIA measurements lead to an overestimation of fat-free mass and an underestimation of body fat percentage due to reduced impedance.[5] For example, moderate intensity exercise for 90–120 minutes before BIA measurements causes nearly a 12 kg overestimation of fat-free mass, i.e. body fat is significantly underestimated.[6] Therefore, it is recommended not to perform BIA for several hours after moderate or high intensity exercise.[7]

BIA is considered reasonably accurate for measuring groups, or for tracking body composition in an individual over a period of time, but is not considered sufficiently precise for recording of single measurements of individuals. [8]

TL: DR - The reduced waistline doesn't lie - you did well!

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep up your smug, condescending bullshit, I've seen it before. Do what you do, but your body sends messages. Like, uh "carb flu." I'm sure that has great health benefits. Oh forget it, do what you do. You already know everything, it was in the body builder magazines.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post