SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Warren Miller
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Warren Miller Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
93 years.. I'd take that.

"If you don't do it this year.. you'll be another year older when you do."

SKI ICONIC FILMMAKER, SKIING LEGEND WARREN MILLER DIES AT AGE 93
Warren Miller passed away peacefully at his home on Orcas Island Wednesday evening.
Author:
Jimmy Bernhard
Published:
8:22 AM MST January 25, 2018

Warren Miller, the iconic filmmaker who pioneered the genre of skiing and adventure sport films, passed away Wednesday evening at his home on Orcas Island. He was 93 years old.

Primarily covering outdoor pursuits, Miller produced more than 500 films during his career and wrote some 1,200 columns and 11 books.

Warren Miller Entertainment, the television and entertainment studio run by Miller's son, is based in Boulder, Colorado.

“This is a sad day during which we draw some comfort from the fact that Warren’s legacy of adventure, freedom and humor carries on in the countless lives he touched,” said Laurie Miller, his wife of the past 30 years. “Warren loved nothing more than sharing his life’s adventures and hearing literally every day from friends old and new about how his stories inspired others to enrich and enjoy their own lives. All of us are better for knowing and loving Warren.”Miller was a World War II veteran, an accomplished surfer, champion sailor, and a ski instructor and racer. His family is asking for privacy at this time but is encouraging anyone who is able to ski a favorite run or to enjoy another activity in his memory.

“I’ll see you same time, same place next year, only I’ll be watching from a different mountaintop.” – Warren Miller

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! I am saddened by this. Back in the 90s watching a new Warren Miller film release was what got me amped for the upcoming ski season.

RIP

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Man, I loved his movies. I always think of his voice when I see clips of skiers and snowboarders out on the mountain.

I'm truly thankful for what he contributed to this world. RIP.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
A truly great documentarian. RIP Warren M.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, the Keith Jackson of ski movies. Great voice, warm, congenial and a touch of class.

Throughout my 20's, his movies were the kick-off to the winter season, fun didn't start until you saw his annual release. My friends and I we'd all get together and go to the yearly premier in the area, get fired up, walk-out stoked to have fun in the winter. As I continued my career in the outdoor industry, the tickets became free and I got to meet many of the athletes that star'd in his movies, later on, found out my best friend and his siblings were in Miller's earlier movies when he did a lot of filming in the Sun Valley/Ketchum-area.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Always going Steeper and Deeper.
RIP Mr. Miller.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Cold fusion. One of the lasy he narrated before what's his name took over. One of my favorites. Enjoy.

Imbed fail from android device Confused

https://youtu.be/00G5omvUCGs

Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I remember him coming to my high school and narrating his latest film every year. He was a ski pioneer in the 80's.

His contribution to the sport of skiing was invaluable.

RIP Warren

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Warren Miller quotes:

1. “If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”

2. “If at first you don’t succeed, failure may be your thing.”

3. “People weren’t made to fly, thats why we make kickers.”

4. “The best thing about skiing backwards is you can see where you’ve been.”

5. “On the other hand you have different fingers.”

6. “Don’t take life too seriously, because you can’t come out of it alive.”

7. “They say its always darkest before the dawn. So if your going to steal your neighbors newspaper… thats the time to do it.”

8. “If your parents didn’t have children, odds are you won’t either”

9. “twin tip skis have insured that todays skiers can ride backwards, as much as they can forwards, why the want to do that? i dont know…..”

10. “Never eat in a restaurant that has a bowling trophy on the cash register.” –

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
You want your ski...go get it.
You can't get hurt skiing if you don't fall down.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
What an Icon. He will be missed. Love his films!

RIP

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Yes he was an Icon. As an avid every weekend skier in my youth we used to look at his movies IN AWE!

RIP Warren, I spend many many hours being incredibly entertained by your movies!

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Going to a bar to watch his films were an epic event of my younger years. But his legacy will definitely live on as even back then he had a minor role in them.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved the films. Used to kick off the ski season by watching the latest installment.
RIP Warren.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post