SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bone in Rib Eye on sale at Safeway...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bone in Rib Eye on sale at Safeway... Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So bone in Rib Eye was on sale. Wasn’t sure what to make for dinner. Decided this would be petty good. Had the butcher cut it 2” thick. Hope it comes out alright.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So it came out perfect. I’m quite happy. Tasted great. Wife loved it (that’s all that really matters).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
No protection? Very risky with such a nice steak

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow nice steak!

No pressure. Don't screw it up...

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It was quite a treat to eat.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice touch with the quarter. Wink

Looks great! And yeah, I hear you on the wife liking it side of things. Some of the best steaks I’ve ever turned out, she didn’t like, and it ruined the whole thing for me. When she likes it, I’m happy, even if I think I overcooked it.

Ribeye is my favorite cut of steak to play with. Nicely done, sir!

quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
No protection? Very risky with such a nice steak

I have little doubt that Beancooker was on point with the security detail of that steak. The best security is that which you don’t see. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What method of cooking? High heat, low heat, etc..

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Touch too rare in the middle for me, I shoot for 135°F, but I'd still eat the hell out of those. Nice job! Hope they tasted as good as it looks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As far as heat, it was a Traegar maxed out. About 475 (I have tinkered with the pellet dispensing) and around 4 min per side, flipped twice.
It went in the grill at slightly below room temp (72 degrees).
For steaks I don’t usually use a thermometer, and can pull it correctly by touch. Two inches threw me off a bit. It was rarer than I would have preferred, but as I said, SWMBO liked it, so that’s all that matters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
The “lol” thread

posted Hide Post
Beautiful steak. It can not be under done but it can be over done.
I've had excellent results using the reverse sear method for some larger steaks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I've had excellent results using the reverse sear method for some larger steaks.

Oh yeah! Quick sear on HOT grill, smoke on the Traeger for 1-2 hrs then crank the heat to finish.
Muy bueno.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:

Oh yeah! Quick sear on HOT grill, smoke on the Traeger for 1-2 hrs then crank the heat to finish.
Muy bueno.
That is not a reverse sear (double sear?). The reverse sear would be low heat cooking (e.g. smoking at 225) and sear at the end. For example, I put my thick steaks on the BGE indirect at 225 to 240, meanwhile indoors I have a skillet preheating in the oven at 400, once the internal meat temperature is 120ish I remove from the BGE, put the skillet on a burner on high, and sear and flip until internal temp is 131. The benefit of the reverse sear is that you end up with less gray in each slice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ribeye steak is the only cut of beef steak that I purchase. Usually I purchase the boneless ones, but once in a while the bone-in ones look great.....and taste great. Nice job!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

Muy bueno.
That is not a reverse sear (double sear?). The reverse sear would be low heat cooking (e.g. smoking at 225) and sear at the end. For example, I put my thick steaks on the BGE indirect at 225 to 240, meanwhile indoors I have a skillet preheating in the oven at 400, once the internal meat temperature is 120ish I remove from the BGE, put the skillet on a burner on high, and sear and flip until internal temp is 131. The benefit of the reverse sear is that you end up with less gray in each slice.

Correct.
I don't own a smoker so I'll usually use the oven for the slow process and cast iron for the sear.
Bunch of different ways to do it depending on what you have.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Muy bueno.

TatorTodd, you're right. Thanks for the correction.
The initial sear / smoking brings up the temp to just walked through the kitchen past the broiler doneness then the higher temp finishes it off.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Muy bueno.

TatorTodd, you're right. Thanks for the correction.
The initial sear / smoking brings up the temp to just walked through the kitchen past the broiler doneness then the higher temp finishes it off.
I'm not a proponent of doing extra work that has the opposite affect of intention. The initial sear doesn't lock in juice (myth that has been busted) and no matter how brief it will add more gray portions which means it's less tender and less juicy than a reverse sear.

This pic is a 1.25" sirloin cut in two and both sides cooked to 130. Top is the traditional cooked hot and fast, and the bottom is the reverse sear.

Your double sear will be in between the top and bottom pic (closer to bottom pic than top pic).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Safeway by me had tomahawk ribeyes in stock last week. Cooked sous vide and then seared over charcoal.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I heard they're on sale at the St. Augustine Publix now!

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been or even seen a Safeway in 40 years.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I call a steak!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post