SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you check your car battery terminals?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you check your car battery terminals? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use Liquid Electric Tape, available at hardware stores. It works very well, and is not messy like grease or vaseline is.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go to Autozone and get some protectant to brush over the terminals.

I was looking at youtube videos of how to mix water and baking soda to remove the corrosion but when the AAA guy, he had a spray that did the work nicely.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm going to go to Autozone and get some protectant to brush over the terminals.

I was looking at youtube videos of how to mix water and baking soda to remove the corrosion but when the AAA guy, he had a spray that did the work nicely.

Go to a Deka battery dealer and buy Deka's battery protectant spray, it's like $6 for a 12 ounce can and works REALLY well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Every time some sucker won’t talk........errrrr I mean every time I check under the hood because why would a car battery be out of the car that would be silly Razz

Seriously though I check battery terminals and tire pressure fairly often.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
I use a waterproof wheel bearing grease. Hit the posts after cleaning them, the inside of the terminals and then a light coat over everything once connected.

The purple spray is the bomb. An old mechanic I worked for in high school said there were all kinds of things you could use, grease, etc, even honey, but his go-to was Caro syrup. The idea is to clean well, then coat with something that doesn’t let the acid or acid fumes in to start the corrosion. Again, the purple spray is the bomb, but don’t get it on your clothes...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We have a 2012 Highlander which actually shares a lot of parts with your platform.
I had the same issue back in the summer. Our battery had actually swollen enough to burst and the positive terminal actually fused to the cable.

I had to soak it in coke for 2 days to get it free. Another day of soaking the battery cables to clean up enough to use them.

The battery tie down had also corroded a hole right in the center. Had to sand and repaint it.

I switched to an AGM battery so I will not have the corrosion problem in the future. Plus I think they hold up better to all the onboard electronic cars have these days.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I generally look over the engine compartment when I'm waiting for the oil to completely drain.

Same here.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post