Find
Notify
Tools

One Gun Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I'd like to make a heartfelt appeal.

That one avenue of thread be forever retired. Not out of censoreship, no. Out of inclusiveness, tolerance, and acceptance.

We all have one gun. We all know what it is. We might feel compelled to share, and find kinship among people who feel as we do.

In that search, we may find derision, or any degree of dissenting view. We should take courage in our life choice, and know in our heart that our choice of caliber and weapon are right for us.

We might be persuaded to try other firearms, perhaps we'll become proficient in those. It might be because of utility, or social conformity. But, we know what we want, and how to shoot it.

Please, I urge everyone reading this, to recognize, that while there is one gun for every one, there is no one gun for everything.

Yes, you can find that one gun that suits you, that speaks to you. That one piece that you excel at. It is totally OK if no one else feels the same. This is the quest we all are on, the way of the gun. Find your boomstick.

What should be forever struck from the social landscape, are two things.

Insisting that your one gun is the only gun. This is heresy, as you are impeding the path of enlightenment of a fellow traveler. Speak the truth you know of your gun, good or ill. But do not shame a seeker, as you are darkening the path you once tread. Speak truth, and if you deceive someone, their fate is damaged by you.

Slightly less important to a personal "one gun," is that there is any "one gun." This is patently false. No one gun can do everything, and to encourage the sentiment is a base form of cruelty. Can someone look for a gun that does everything? Sure, as long as they understand that the compromises mean it uniformly sucks.

The only time one gun works for everything, is it is the one gun you have. There is no magic combination that makes a firearm suitable for every circumstance.

What can one do, to make sure they are as close to "one gun" as possible?

Train, train, train. Additionally, listen to people who point to weakness, it makes you stronger. Willful ignorance is voluntary execution.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^truth^^^

But would the one gun be a 9mm or a .45? ........12ga?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
GLOCK 19.................runs and hides. Big Grin

Totally agree. It's like magazine racing cars. On paper gun X, Y or Z might be better in measurable ways but completely not workable for me or thee for any number of reasons.

Shoot whatcha like, or if it is for defensive purposes train, train, train with it and call it a day. Your choice of tool matters the least in the real world, barring something dangerous(improperly made etc. )

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The old trope "Beware the man with one gun" does hold remarkably well.

As far as the recommendation of a G19, it is a sound one, certainly before the advent of the 320.

I'm just saying, that the goal should not be to be right. It should be to help our fellow travelers bring the fight as effectively as possible.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
75 views, yeah, no more than a few opinions?

It's not Glock or Sig. We need to be honest when we're telling someone how to save their own life or that of their loved ones.

Speak from your experience, and don't BS a stranger, certainly not here. Lives are at stake.

Arc.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I was joking. Everybody automatically says get a Glock usually a 19. Which is a FANTASTIC firearm that probably comes just about as close to ticking off all the right boxes as any handgun there is. It's a GREAT GUN. I have one........don't carry it. Smile

Is a CZ Compact a stupid choice over a G19, how about a SIG P220, what about a Walther PPS? The point is.........no. All are perfectly good, well made, reliable firearms. All are perfectly capable of saving your butt if you do your part all are perfectly capable of coming up short because Lady Luck is a fickle bitch.

I am lucky in that I have experience with ALOT of firearms and I don't have that experience from serious social interactions. Because of that I have learned guns are very much like cars. Is a Porsche 911 better then a Mazda Miata? Yep in every measureable way except price. Is it always the best car to drive?......nope not for me. I have owned both. Guns are similar.

I do always like hearing what an individuals "one gun" is and their personal reasons because sometimes it comes down to the cool factor, it's a heirloom, it's my lucky charm, I shoot it better then a scoped rifle etc. that personal angle always intrigues me.

However I like you so get annoyed with the if you don't use X gun for serious social reasons you are stupid and will surely be killed.....probably with your own gun that you chose wrongly because.....it's not a Glock 19. Wink

And FFS GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR HEATHEN SOUL IF YOU CARRY A REVOLVER OR......GASP A .40. Red Facef

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
arc, you're talking about religion, right?

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
A 1911
My wife and I both are proficient with it

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Of course you were joking, but words hurt, OK? This is a safe space!

I can't keep that up.

Truth be told, we need to help eachother selectively murder, in an efficient manor. You aren't allowed to kill people who don't deserve it, so why, how, when, and with what to extinguish the light of your fellow man, is serious business.

Serious business best uncluttered by opinionated, uninformed fanbois or any other detritus.

Don't hate, cultivate.

Arc.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
arc, you're talking about religion, right?

If you mean that yours is fine, but not better than anyone elses, and you can't make anyone else use yours, then sure.

Arc.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Guns are tools.

While you can bang on things with a claw hammer, a claw hammer is not a substitute for either a watchmaker's hammer or a 20 lb. sledgehammer.

I believe you should become proficient with a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
One gun is like having 1 hammer. A ripping/framing hammer can do a lot, but when you need a rubber mallet, you'll regret it.

I've often thought of reducing my collection, but every time I do I find that every one of my firearms fit a niche.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with being a fanboy, so long as you're honest with yourself about it, and honest about the limitations of your precious of which there certainly are some.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Correct.

You're dead if you ignore all the tools.

You're also dead if you ARE one of the tools.

Arc.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
just saying, that the goal should not be to be right. It should be to help our fellow travelers bring the fight as effectively as possible.

Wise words, with respect to firearms and many other facets of life.

Ego and trends and being "cool" *should* take a backseat to actually helping folks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What this fun thread reminds me of is not all that long ago. There was only one gun. You had to give up something great and or valuable to obtain one. But it was crucial to you and your families survival as you had embarked on something that was harder than you could ever of understood when you undertook it. But there was no turning back. It was now your life and the only option was to forge ahead, not matter the challenges or danger. In the course of that life. That one gun was all that stood between you, your families safety and survival. It was not all that long ago.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ego and trends and being "cool" *should* take a backseat to actually helping folks.

That and a healthy dose of live and let live. You are not always right.....trust me I know....I'm always right.

There seems to have been a loss in the modern world of live and let live.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What this fun thread reminds me of is not all that long ago. There was only one gun. You had to give up something great and or valuable to obtain one. But it was crucial to you and your families survival as you had embarked on something that was harder than you could ever of understood when you undertook it. But there was no turning back. It was now your life and the only option was to forge ahead, not matter the challenges or danger. In the course of that life. That one gun was all that stood between you, your families safety and survival. It was not all that long ago.

I have had a few similar conversations about that when looking over and selling some old Doubles, (Smith, Lefever, Parker etc)
guys will be all down about how much the shotgun was used, but then seem to get it when you mention that it was likely grandpa's only shotgun, and he used it to supplement his family's food supply, guard the house/farm, as well as a good times dove or quail hunt,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
There seems to have been a loss in the modern world of live and let live.

Live and let live is in short supply. True tolerance is under assault.

We should not let it infect or even color anyone we consider an ally. As far as those considered enemy, I'll leave you to the linked thread.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
One Gun

I am extremely food of my S&W 1076. My affection is not shared by many and this I can only try to understand, although my feelings are hurt.

If there is a tool for every need, I probably have it in my tool chest, but I must be careful not to waste too much time in consideration of the "best" tool lest the moment of need slip away. Sometimes any hammer will do when a nail needs to be hit now.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post