SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New shingles vaccine, “Shingrix”,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New shingles vaccine, “Shingrix”, Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I got a couple of inoculations from my GP today. She also told me of a new shingles vaccine, “Shingrix”, which is said to be 90% effective vs. 10-20% for the older vaccine.

I could’ve got a Shingrix inoculation too, but it’s fairly expensive, and she told me that one of her patients got it for free at CVS (with Medicare). Worth checking. I’m going to check at Rite Aid too, as I’m there more frequently.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v.../shingrix/index.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Over 50?

Do it.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I think it's despicable that they sell the mass a vaccine that is only 10-20% effective, and continued to tout its greatness in their commercials. I guess fear sells.

Where else can you sell your product that is known to malfunction 80-90% of the time and still be in business?

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you can have it after you've had the older one. I will ask my doctor next visit.

My wife got shingles about 14 months ago. It was grisly for about 10 months. She's gonna have a shot, too.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I think it's despicable that they sell the mass a vaccine that is only 10-20% effective, and continued to tout its greatness in their commercials. I guess fear sells.

Where else can you sell your product that is known to malfunction 80-90% of the time and still be in business?

I’m not an expert, but maybe the older vaccine reduced the severity of the symptoms, even though it didn’t much reduce the odds of having shingles. Shingles can be extremely painful.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jimenz guns.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not an expert, but maybe the older vaccine reduced the severity of the symptoms, even though it didn’t much reduce the odds of having shingles. Shingles can be extremely painful.

Yes I had the original vaccine and still got shingles. The intensity was reduced since I started Acyclovir within twelve hours of the rash appearing. The efficacy of the vaccine fades substantially after a relatively short time. Shingrex requires two innoculations but is much better. I would suggest getting the vaccine.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Yes, I've had shingles (as a child). Doesn't change the fact how I think about the product. People might not know this, but shingles affect all age groups, not just the older population.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for its release.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I've had shingles (as a child). Doesn't change the fact how I think about the product. People might not know this, but shingles affect all age groups, not just the older population.

I got it at 36...although a relatively minor case...still sucked.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The CDC says the old vaccine (Zostovax) is 51% effective in the first year, which decreases to the 15% to 25% range in year two, and to 0% in year nine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v.../zostavax/index.html

The CDC does say the new vaccine is better, but I couldn't quickly find anything saying how much better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since it does affect all age groups, I have wondered why they only offer it to those over 60. My agency offers many vaccines for free every year and I signed up for the shingles vaccine among others last year and was told I couldn’t have the shingles one.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The CDC says the old vaccine (Zostovax) is 51% effective in the first year, which decreases to the 15% to 25% range in year two, and to 0% in year nine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v.../zostavax/index.html

The CDC does say the new vaccine is better, but I couldn't quickly find anything saying how much better.

See the link in my original post. It claims more than 90% effective.

Serious about crackers

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Taurus?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since it does affect all age groups, I have wondered why they only offer it to those over 60. My agency offers many vaccines for free every year and I signed up for the shingles vaccine among others last year and was told I couldn’t have the shingles one.

I had shingles at 24. It sucked. I've never had chickenpox, and was told by the docs that I actually got shingles as a result of the chickenpox vaccine. Ain't that a kick in the teeth Roll Eyes

I'm 28 now and the idea of getting it again is a pretty unpleasant one...I'm all for a better vaccine.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic. My wife came down with shingles a few days after giving birth to our first child. My wife was 23 at the time, if I remember correctly. We're happily into our 50's now, but I know the idea of a repeat shingles experience strikes fear into both our hearts. I'll be checking on this new vaccine for sure.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I had a terrible case of chicken pox as a child. A typically mild childhood disease was none too mild for me. I got the Zostovax vaccine right after turning 50. I will definitely look into this new one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No research on long term safety issues. No longitudinal studies.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if you can have it after you've had the older one. I will ask my doctor next visit.

yes you can.

posted Hide Post
My sister had the Shingles on half of her head when she was 17, horrible stuff, even affected her vision in one eye.

I'll be 61 shortly and have thought about getting the Shingles vaccine, probably even more now with the new version. I had a moderate case of Chickenpox at the age of 10

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post