SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basement repair - anyone know about this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basement repair - anyone know about this? Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Our new place is about 13 years old. It's built on a sandy type soil and has a 4-5' high crawlspace beneath the whole foot print of about 1400 sq feet. This contains the furnace/AC and 2 50 gallon water heaters. I intend to utilize the space for storage.

There is an existing vapor barrier which is showing signs of wear and is torn away from the walls in places. There are 5 cement piers supporting the floor joists that have been shimmed under the joists. They seem to have shifted slightly as the house has settled. There does not, at present seem to be any water penetration into the crawl space, nor any mold build up.

I have a quote from a basement repair company to replace the vapor barrier with 20mm liner (Crawlseal) and lay drainage matting beneath it prior to install. They will also install 5 'Intellijacks' set on grade 5 bedding to replace the existing piers. Total cost $11500 including labor.

Reasonable? Ball park? I'm not averse to spending the money to ensure stability and longevity.

Ps. We knew going in we'd probably need to do something to the basement in due course.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
No one? Have I broken the Forum?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m cheap.

I’d just replace the visqueen under the house with new stuff from Lowe’s...I did it to my first house as no vapor barrier was required at the time. Got some thick mil plastic and didn’t even tape it together, just overlapped it by a foot .

My last house had some 6mil stuff and it was fine- but the house wasn’t that old when we sold it. The ground was always damp in the area. But under the house was fine. My neighbor didn’t have plastic and he had mold under his house that you could smell inside.

I wouldn’t worry about the piers unless you can’t swim under the beams anymore due to shifting...

My big kids house needed more piers and I foolishly crawled under the house with an e-tool and dug out to hard ground. Mixed up cement and placed block until I built up to the beams....I jacked them up on both sides with screwjacks from Lowe’s and shimmed the beams...

My knees hurt for weeks.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.doityourself.com/s...e-waterproofing-tips

Not much to offer, but if somewhat handy I’d investigate DIY prevention. The biggies are sealing, below grade drainage, & possibly dehumidifier use.

I think bids could vary widely, as would results when it comes to basement & crawl space moisture prevention. Much also depends on exact particulars in your case.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post