SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hagerstown MD: Bank robber flags down unmarked police car UPDATE: Happens again in Alaska
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hagerstown MD: Bank robber flags down unmarked police car UPDATE: Happens again in Alaska Login/Join 
posted
...with predictable results.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.co...33-679729f11618.html

Alleged bank robber flags down unmarked police vehicle in attempt to flee

Oct 14, 2017 Updated 13 hrs ago

HALFWAY — A man who allegedly robbed a Virginia Avenue bank Friday flagged down an unmarked police vehicle during his attempt to flee, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

Tristan Paul Mitchell, 28, of Baltimore was taken into custody within minutes of the robbery that was reported just before 1:30 p.m. at The Columbia Bank branch at 17803 Virginia Ave., the sheriff's office said in a news release.

Mitchell, who is facing robbery and theft charges, was being held without bond Saturday at the Washington County Detention Center, the sheriff's office said.

Witnesses at the bank told responding deputies that a black male wearing all black clothing entered the bank, demanded money be placed in a black bag he brought with him and then fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash.

A deputy in the area turned onto Virginia Avenue in his unmarked vehicle and saw a man matching the description of the suspect walking on Linwood Road.

Mitchell waved the deputy down "almost as if asking for a ride," but when he realized it was a deputy wearing a raid vest with "sheriff" on it, he fled, according to the release.

The deputy apprehended Mitchell, who was in possession of a large amount of cash that was found to be the exact amount stolen from the bank, in the 800 block of Linwood Road, the sheriff's office said.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Not a great getaway plan! Wonder if he was that stupid or if the getaway driver was awol?

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Didn’t think that one all the way through, did he?

Should have used a bicycle at least. A local bank was robbed last year by a guy on a a bicycle. They got pretty good picture of him, but there weren’t enough surveillance cameras in the area to see where he bicycled off to. Several apartment complexes in the immediate area, so they assume he rode into one of those and picked up a car to flee the area, assuming he didn’t live in one of the apartments.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Let's all meet this rocket surgeon:

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I know the area well. Usually stay near the mall about 1/2 mile away from where it happened.

The area is getting bad for drugs. Probably played a role here, because that guy was just plain stupid.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
He has such a normal name, I was disappointed to read that he's black. Razz

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
He's got birthmarks on his neck, too.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Don't you just want to smack the smug off his face?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
He has such a normal name, I was disappointed to read that he's black. Razz
No doubt his parents were fans of Wagner's operas.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Hopefully somebody named Laquanda, with a light beard,makeup, and weighs 300 lb will do it.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Why? Is his older brother named Siegfried, Wotan or Pognor?

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the thread title I thought "who is Dr. Hagerstown and why are they commenting on a bank robbery?". It only lasted a fraction of a second, then I laughed at myself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Why? Is his older brother named Siegfried, Wotan or Pognor?

More like Shantay, WuTang, and Pookie.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
All names you will never hear in the board room. Or a planning meeting.

Parts of Maryland have become quite a cesspool. I'm very glad I left there when I did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If your escape plan A involves flagging down and getting a ride from any old passing car, you need a plan B.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

Hopefully somebody named Laquanda, with a light beard,makeup, and weighs 300 lb will do it.

Or Ben Dover.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"During an interview at the sheriff's office, Mitchell said he had been released from the detention center a few hours before he robbed the bank.

He allegedly told authorities that he was going through heroin withdrawals for the past week, and thought incessantly about robbing a bank so he could buy heroin to get well."

Complete article:

https://www.heraldmailmedia.co...dd-bb410a410b94.html

Alleged Halfway bank robber held without bond

Dan Dearth
Oct 16, 2017 Updated 18 hrs ago

A man charged with robbing a bank in Halfway last week talked himself into more trouble during a bond-review hearing Monday in Washington County District Court.

Judge Mark D. Thomas initially set Tristan P. Mitchell's bond at $15,000, but quickly reversed his decision after Mitchell admitted to using heroin a little more than a week ago.

After hearing Mitchell's statement, Thomas ruled that he be held without bond at the Washington County Detention Center.

"It's out of concern for his own safety," the judge said.

Thomas authorized Mitchell to receive treatment for his dependency by allowing him to enroll in the Jail Substance Abuse Program.

Mitchell, 29, is charged with robbery and theft from $1,500 to under $25,000.

Robbery, the most serious of the charges, carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Mitchell is accused in the robbery Friday afternoon of The Columbia Bank at 17803 Virginia Ave. in Halfway.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office wrote in the statement of probable cause that Mitchell entered the bank and told a teller to put all of her money in a black bag with no dye packs.

The teller instead placed a GPS tracking device in the bag along with $5,056.

Mitchell then fled and dropped a $20 bill in a wood line near the bank.

Deputies said they received a hit from the GPS tracking device on Linwood Avenue and saw a person matching the robber's description.

As an officer approached in his vehicle, Mitchell allegedly tried to flag down the driver. When Mitchell saw the officer's raid vest with "sheriff" printed on it, he tried to flee. He was captured after a brief foot chase.

During an interview at the sheriff's office, Mitchell said he had been released from the detention center a few hours before he robbed the bank.

He allegedly told authorities that he was going through heroin withdrawals for the past week, and thought incessantly about robbing a bank so he could buy heroin to get well.

Court documents show all of the money from the robbery was recovered.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
He was looking for someone to carjack, dumbass.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have heard a number of apocryphal stories about newly released shitbirds purposely committing crimes so they can go back to jail. After all, with no hope or prospects on the outside, three hots and a cot and medical care might sound good to such a person. I wonder if this might be one of those cases.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...ve-and-omalley-road/

Hillside suspect in custody after car gets stuck in the snow

Author: Laurel Andrews clock Updated: 1 day ago calendar Published 1 day ago

A suspect fleeing from Anchorage police tried to flag down plainclothes troopers for help after the car he was in got stuck in the snow, according to officials.

Around 11:15 a.m., multiple calls started coming in to police about two people in a maroon GMC pickup who were dragging a large green gun safe on a pallet in the 7000 block of Alatna Avenue, said Anchorage Police Department spokesman MJ Thim.

When police arrived, they found a woman and man outside the truck, which was parked on a hill in the area. The woman was taken into custody, but the man fled.

The man ran to the 1100 block of Nebesna Drive, where he stole a 1971 Chevrolet pickup. He abandoned it around Hillside Drive and O'Malley Road, Thim said.

Around 1 p.m., police sent out an alert that they were searching for an armed suspect in area.

Meanwhile, Alaska State Troopers with the Palmer Criminal Suppression Unit were in the area "conducting surveillance on an unrelated investigation," troopers said in a written statement.

The troopers were in an unmarked car, wearing plainclothes. They were driving in the area of Michigan Boulevard and Wildwood Drive when the suspect waved them down for help.

Troopers circled back to find the suspect and a second man trying to get a silver 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 out of the snow.

Thim said police believe the man had been running toward the Dodge Ram so he could get away.

"What we believe is that the Dodge Ram was waiting, was somehow connected to the activities of these two suspects," Thim said.

By 1:45 p.m., the two men were in custody. Thim wasn't sure whether the original suspect was armed.

All three suspects — the woman and two men — were in custody and questioned Friday evening. Their names weren't being released, Thim said.

There's also the question of whose safe was being dragged. Police asked anyone in the area who is missing a large green safe or has noticed anything suspicious at their residence to contact dispatch at 907-786-8900.