SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idea for the wall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idea for the wall Login/Join 
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted
We all know that although Trump secured 8 billion for the wall with the declared emergency, that the Democrats will obstruct it any way they can. Activist judges will issue injunctions to halt building. States will sue. Boarder cities can now apparently not have the wall built in their city limits. Etc....

So, what if we paid Mexico to build the wall on THEIR side of the boarder? I know oversite would be hard. We would have to pay as the wall was built, couldnt just give them the money. And we would have to inspect the wall. Also have to have a treaty stating Mexico couldnt take down any section of the wall, enforced with strict sanctions.

I know, wild idea likely fraught with flaws and probably not workable but I like the idea of thwarting all challenges the dems will through at it.

Just thinking out loud
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rely on a Made In Mexico-quality wall???

NopeNopeNopeNopeNope! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I prefer ditching the entire wall concept and simply mining the entire area along the border, then installing a 'few' signs noting for these interlopers to bugger off. Must faster and less expensive to put in place, and after the first wave of morons attempt to walk across it and get turned into hundreds of smaller pieces, I think the rest will get the message loud and clear.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would you use border control at all on the Mexican side? I mean Mexico would gladly take our money and put their people to work but then would turn a blind eye to the scaffolding everyone would put up two miles out of town.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, I prefer ditching the entire wall concept and simply mining the entire area along the border, then installing a 'few' signs noting for these interlopers to bugger off. Must faster and less expensive to put in place, and after the first wave of morons attempt to walk across it and get turned into hundreds of smaller pieces, I think the rest will get the message loud and clear.

And have a battery of 155 artillery ready to fire some HE VT on the invaders.

Won't take too many times for that to happen before everyone will get the message.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wall is not the answer.

If we were strict about our illegal immigrant laws and provided no financial or medical support for them, arrested every single one of them, imprisoned them and then sent them back to whatever country they came from instead of dicking around and letting them all stay here without doing anything about it. They'd leave on their own accord. The entire reason they come here is because they can make more money than at home and live and stay here. Take that away and they won't come.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

That won't protect us from the drugs, MS13, human trafficking or terrorists. Or in other words, won't physically protect our country.

You can't fall back on the "arrest every single one of them" we would never have the resources to find and arrest them all.

Taking away the handouts would be a big part of a solution though and result in a lot of dead beats either getting jobs or self-deporting back.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
A Wall is not THE anwwer--it is AN answer. It functions to impede casual access to the country by those not allowed to enter. Without some sort of substantial barrier, there is nothing to stop the incursion of hordes just stepping over the line (which is essentially what exists in many places right now).

To thwart more organized and equipped invasions would require more than just an unsupervised Wall, because even the very best barrier can eventually be surmounted (or tunneled under). To stop those incursions it will be necessary to have sophisticated monitoring devices and the ability to move forces (troops) quickly to places where such activities occur.

Talk of mine fields and watch towers with machine guns and overlapping fields of fire are not going to happen--the citizens of this country are not of a mind to put those defenses in place against largely unarmed civilian hordes. (And rightly so.)

It is true that if the economic benefits of coming here were disrupted (and the hordes believed it) that the phenomenon of organized caravans to rush the border would probably die out--a lot of less organized attempts probably would, too. I think the Wall would still be a necessary deterrent, though, just to keep it from being easy to just walk over the border and disappear into the interior of the country.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

If we were strict about our illegal immigrant laws and provided no financial or medical support for them, arrested every single one of them, imprisoned them and then sent them back to whatever country they came from instead of dicking around and letting them all stay here without doing anything about it.

The Europeans have discovered that many of their refugees have destroyed their identification papers. Without them there’s a question about which country to return them to. Plus, the receiving nations can refuse deported people as there’s no proof they belong in that nation.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a physical barrier is a just a part of this. It should never be "unsupervised" though. The most basic concept of obstacle emplacement in the military is all obstacles must be observed (or don't bother because the enemy can take all the time they need to breach it and you won't know).

That said, using high tech methods, observation is a lot easier now.

One of the modern wall designs emplaced in all the areas it would make sense (and observed) would help cut down on 90-95% of the crossing. This will relieve the burden on BP/Customs making it easier for them to focus efforts on the rougher areas w/o a wall and in looking for tunnels etc.

As people are deported, they will no longer be coming back reducing pressure on ICE detention centers and the legal system backlog.

Changes to chain migration and visa lottery will keep out the riff-raff getting in via other means. Sadly, I know it is a pipe-dream but jimmy123x's comments about getting rid of the handouts would really help bring an end to it with these self-deported ones having no way to get back should they change their minds and we'd save a fortune for taxpayers.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a wall will help slow it down. But the wall is not THE answer or the entire answer. As soon as we start cutting all of the protection they get and free stuff and everything......it would really slow them down and many would leave.

Get pulled over by police and illegal, get deported. Go into a hospital emergency room, get treated and get deported. And on and on. We are one of the only countries that just turns a blind eye to it. Third world countries do a much better job at getting rid of their illegals than we do.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, a lot of the coddling of illegals that takes place is the result of the clumsy cluster of laws that have been enacted over the years. And the only real way to fix the chaos is for those laws to be replaced by sensible ones that actually work. All the Dems and half the Repubs aren't willing to do that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Democrat party will take over if immigration is not stopped. Republican party will cease to exist. Republican party must be OK with it. Illegal immigrant families overwhelmingly vote for free stuff

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
A Wall is not THE anwwer--it is AN answer. It functions to impede casual access to the country by those not allowed to enter. Without some sort of substantial barrier, there is nothing to stop the incursion of hordes just stepping over the line (which is essentially what exists in many places right now).

To thwart more organized and equipped invasions would require more than just an unsupervised Wall, because even the very best barrier can eventually be surmounted (or tunneled under). To stop those incursions it will be necessary to have sophisticated monitoring devices and the ability to move forces (troops) quickly to places where such activities occur.

Talk of mine fields and watch towers with machine guns and overlapping fields of fire are not going to happen--the citizens of this country are not of a mind to put those defenses in place against largely unarmed civilian hordes. (And rightly so.)

It is true that if the economic benefits of coming here were disrupted (and the hordes believed it) that the phenomenon of organized caravans to rush the border would probably die out--a lot of less organized attempts probably would, too. I think the Wall would still be a necessary deterrent, though, just to keep it from being easy to just walk over the border and disappear into the interior of the country.

flashguy
Yes and the sooner the wall is put up, the better. I think a hard look at the illegals already in our country should be givin. Those who've come here illegally should be stood right back across the mexican border at their own cause and expense. I really care not about daca or any other excuse for keeping them here.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
To me the wall is just part of a comprehensive overhaul of our immigration problem.
Some one once said "if you have bees coming into your house through an open window you shut the window"
Then you remove the bees.
Then you remove the reason they built a nest near your window.
If you do this the bees will not come back.
If the bees want to come back they are let back only under certain circumstances through a process.
No one wants to be stung by a bee.
This may sound a little funny using bees however this is how it was once explained to me.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Never going to happen for a lot of reasons. Just a couple here:

Mexico has a new left leaning President recently who is against the idea. He is installing some nationalization policies similar to Venezuela a few decades ago.

We would have little or no control over the product and enforcement and anything could change with a change in governments there.

Rampant corruption at every level of their government. That's one of the reasons their people are trying to come here.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we shouldn't outsource the security of this country to the one that is most responsible for the condition we face

The wall is part of the solution, not the entire solution

whatever we can make that creates a more difficult situation for the border crossers is what we need to do

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

If we were strict about our illegal immigrant laws and provided no financial or medical support for them, arrested every single one of them, imprisoned them and then sent them back to whatever country they came from instead of dicking around and letting them all stay here without doing anything about it.

The Europeans have discovered that many of their refugees have destroyed their identification papers. Without them there’s a question about which country to return them to. Plus, the receiving nations can refuse deported people as there’s no proof they belong in that nation.

Throw them into the sea.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what if we paid Mexico to build the wall on THEIR side of the border?

Why would we pay them?
They can build their own damn wall, and we can build ours.
Two walls, with a mine field, dead-zone in between. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
So, what if we paid Mexico to build the wall on THEIR side of the border?

Why would we pay them?
They can build their own damn wall, and we can build ours.
Two walls, with a mine field, dead-zone in between. Big Grin

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Can we have machine gun towers, too?!?! Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post