SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good thoughts and maybe prayer for my 2 cats. ***update in OP***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good thoughts and maybe prayer for my 2 cats. ***update in OP*** Login/Join 
posted
My 2 cats are going on a big trip tomorrow, riding ina. Car to beijing, flying flying to Las Vegas, riding in a car to Phoenix for a few weeks then flying up to Alaska with us.

I feel really guilty for putting them at risk like that but it's our family and we can't just leave them behind.

If anybody has any advice or wants to keep my cats in your prayers it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Update: for those who are interested, the cats made it safely to Arizona so they will have a few months to recover and relax before going to Alaska.

It was rough, we got them in a cage and got my wife in the car headed to beijing, I met her there (there wasn't enough room in the car with the cats crate for me). We got them into the hotel which I'm sure is the smallest hotel in china for a few days to relax then back into the cages and on the plane with my wife.

There were zero issues with customs or anything like that which is great, we figured we were missing something somewhere and at any stage the trip would hit a snag but they made it fine through the change of planes in Korea and my sister picked my wife and the cats up in Vegas earlier and drove them to Phoenix.

As I suspected, the Siamese cat is sort of freaked out, the black cat dosent seem to care much at all.

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newmexican,

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Heck of a trip! Hope they do well. Prayers for all.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No-doubt it will be traumatic, but they should be fine. My girlfriend's dog went in the cargo hold from Hawaii to Chicago and survived just fine, and I know a lot of breeders ship animals by air.

We'll keep them (and your peace of mind) in our prayers.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a safe and uneventful journey for the kittehs, please keep us posted.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Hope all goes well. Bring along a lot of catnip though.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. Of the 2 cats, were mostly worried about one, an 8 year old siamese cat, whenever she goes to the vet she freaks out, or other cat (normal black cat) dosent seem to care much.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Travel safe little guys.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
See if a vet can give you some chewable sedatives to help them snooze for part of the trip, and thank you for being a good per parent.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to your two cats!

My wife's two cats (at the time) made the trip from Europe just fine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
See if a vet can give you some chewable sedatives to help them snooze for part of the trip, and thank you for being a good per parent.

Or chew them yourself and make the flight less onerous. I've done Beijing to SFO and it's a loooooooooooooong flight.

We're (me and my two feline slackers) are rooting for you and yours.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Fair winds & avoid the fleas little guys, safe journey!

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I imagine that would be very stressful. Best luck to all. Mary and midnight send feline thoughts.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I second the sedatives. Also can you ship them together in the same crate so that they don't get lonely and have someone they know with them the entire trip?

It probably isn't allowed though by airline policy.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I second the sedatives. Also can you ship them together in the same crate so that they don't get lonely and have someone they know with them the entire trip?

Unfortunatly, they are both going to be checked in the luggage in 2 different cages as the airline have very unrealistic rules about what can go in the cabin, its like 5kg (cage and animal) to go in the cabin.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

Unfortunatly, they are both going to be checked in the luggage in 2 different cages as the airline have very unrealistic rules about what can go in the cabin, its like 5kg (cage and animal) to go in the cabin.

Just tell them they are service kitties.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Safe travels little ones! Smile

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Be safe sweet kitties.
I have three and they are treated as four legged family members.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Yes, kitties have humans serve them, so its not a falsehood.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
praying for safe travels

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Yes, kitties have humans serve them, so its not a falsehood.

I'm going to assume you're both joking

Hope your travels go well

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post