SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USPS - Not a complaint this time > Informed Delivery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS - Not a complaint this time > Informed Delivery Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
OK, this is scary or I am dreaming. Eek

I already have a USPS account for shipping items mostly.
I get an email with scanned fronts of the email I am supposed to get today.
I thought this must be a Phishing Scam and did not click from any links.
I looked it up and logged in manually and WHALA it was legit.
Not only did it have all the mail I am about to receive bit the mail I already received in the last week - by day - and a way to let them know if I did not get it.

Can this be from OUR Government? Confused
Must be a Russian hack. Razz

No, it is real but can it be implemented faithfully and accurately in the future?
For the most part I have no complaints with the UPSP and virtually no issues but I know some who do.

Thought, it was out of character for them and would pass it along.
USPS Informed Delivery Page

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Don't worry -- they're busy scrambling at HQ trying to figure out how to best mess this up.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It really was just a matter of time for this to roll out. The optical readers take a picture of the address and possesses it for sorting. With the decline of volume, the computers have extra capability and they can offer this. I'd expect to see it as an optional pay service once it rolls nationally though. Hopefully I'm wrong and it stays free, but this a quasi-government agency we're talking about.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. The page said it was available at my address so I signed up. I guess they're not scanning my mail because it says (0) for today and every day last week. Hmmm

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ive been getting these emails all week.

Interesting.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Also signed up for it about a week ago or so. Pretty cool but overall useless I think. Just a solution looking for a problem.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I was informed about a month ago I'd "soon" be receiving those.

quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
Also signed up for it about a week ago or so. Pretty cool but overall useless I think. Just a solution looking for a problem.

You've heard of packages being stolen after delivery, right?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:

Not useless > what if your are looking for a package or better yet ~ a check!
Just to monitor junk mail and run of the mill bills ~ not so much.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's real, but for the life of me, I don't understand why they think it's necessary. I guess if you're waiting for some important documents?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
They spent your tax dollars so enjoy knowing that You've Got Mail.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It's real, but for the life of me, I don't understand why they think it's necessary. I guess if you're waiting for some important documents?

We have a veteran carrier who is the best mail guy I've ever had. The problem is he has been out a lot lately due to knee surgery. His replacements regularly mess up deliveries to our neighborhood. When I get my neighbors' mail and my mail is missing, I know he was out that day.

I find it helpful to have an idea what is coming.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Going to try it. Signed up. I see they give you the option to receive email from "their partners". So they are probably selling your info to spammers if you opt in for that.

Hell, it's almost 200 feet from my recliner to the mailbox... if it works out it might save me a wasted trip to an empty box. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I signed up for it, then had fun telling my wife what was going to be in the mail...before it got here.

Hey, what can I say? I'm psychic!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I finally got the invite to upgrade my "My USPS" account to Informed Delivery. It's kind of cool, I think.

Now, for example, I don't have to go to sellers' sites or whatever to find tracking numbers, nor enter them.

Just turned on status alerts for incoming packages. I think that'll be handy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post