SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    shopping for 'best' cordless chain saw
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shopping for 'best' cordless chain saw Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Decreased need for 'Old Reliable" my 20" gas Stihl MS 290, started shopping for a cordless saw for my 'estate management & wood stove needs'.

Had great results from Sears corded model 12-15 years ago till I finally wore it out.

Have read endless lists of 'best 10' 'best 9' 'best 6' etc which often include brands I've never seen in this area.

Thinking 4 amp 16-18" B&D/Milwaukee/Stihl/Oregon/Makita with extra battery should all work well enough. Probably don't even need extra battery. If it runs down, there's the sign to head for the range for a while.

Any other users here to make personal recommendation?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've used the hell out of my Ryobi 40v. I have the lawn mower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer as well. The chainsaw is very capable.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the DeWalt cordless tools. My chainsaw, trimmer and leaf blower are a couple of years old and I have been happy with all of them.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's best, but that Milwaukee M18 saw is tempting the stink out of me. It helps that I'm heavily invested in the M18 universe, so I wouldn't have just a saw using batteries occasionally, like I would with a Stihl, or similar, cordless.

I've heard the Milwaukee runs nearly all day on that 12 amp battery.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Stihl MSA-200 along with charger and one battery in December and I really like it so far. The intent was to carry it in my Mule to use for small-medium size downed trees on trails and minor clean up. For larger trees or if I'm going to be cutting up firewood for hours I'll grab a gas saw along with a can of gas but this little battery saw is so easy to use, nicely balanced, relatively quiet, instant on and off, and cuts so well that I'm actually using it more and more for cutting up firewood.

I have Stihl and Echo gas saws so when I started looking at battery saws I checked them as well as Makita and Husqvarna. After critiquing them every which way I liked Stihl and Husqvarna best but went with Stihl since there's a dealer close by.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I like the Milwaukee 18v Fuel saw, but it fails on one important aspect for me to own one. The most use I get out of my Stihl saw is always post hurricanes (like most Floridians), and during that time we are almost always without power for days. Could I charge it off of my generator? Probably, but that sucker is feeding power to my priorities so I wouldn't what to put any additional loads on it.

For the rest of the year, my bet is these rechargeable saws would be great.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Mr Guns and Gear reviews a couple at different price points

https://youtu.be/TZzHcQgrVr8

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don't know what's best, but that Milwaukee M18 saw is tempting the stink out of me. It helps that I'm heavily invested in the M18 universe, so I wouldn't have just a saw using batteries occasionally, like I would with a Stihl, or similar, cordless.

I've heard the Milwaukee runs nearly all day on that 12 amp battery.

I am as well, however at $300 for just the chainsaw, sans battery, it is just too expensive. I have read a few forums that say you really need to get the Red Lithium High Output 12.0 for this saw to run more than an hour at a decent clip. That is a $250+ battery, and the highest I have is a pair of XC 5 Ah batteries, which run my drill, driver, and 7.25" saw. I actually went the other way after researching the chainsaw and got bigger Echo 450P during dealer days for a hair over $300.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've seen the big Echo saw last Summer at this Flea Market. It is 58 volt battery and its charger can be wall mounted. Pretty impressive for a battery saw. Another thing I've noticed of the battery tools sinse we have a Vendor here who sell those exclusively, most of the newer tools of Milwaukee and Dewalt have brushless motors.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Similar topic came up late last year.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...560069944#4560069944

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Another thread on the topic:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4600078544/p/1

BTW, I went the cheap route & bought the 40v Greenworks 14". It outworks me. I'll be giving it a workout again today.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 40v Greenworks 14". It's outworked my stamina

that observation in itself is a great consideration;

Admittedly I remain leery of tool companies I've never heard of before.

Appreciate the wealth of commentary, thanks to all.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Cousin in Tennessee with wood fueled water heater and furnace has plenty of rich man toys. But he wields that little ryobi to limb and clean up literal tons of wood. I like my Stihl but keep thinking it's a good supplement.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I've used the hell out of my Ryobi 40v. I have the lawn mower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer as well. The chainsaw is very capable.

Glad to hear this I have a bunch of Ryobi 18v tools that have been solid including the string trimmer but it is a bit small.
Was looking to upgrade to the 40v and a electric chainsaw for simple trail clearing would be nice so I am not always packing the Stihl on top of the Expedition.
Much easier to secure inside and not make everything smell like gas.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Black and Decker, anything they produce nowadays is pure garbage.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

This^^ I have always been very happy with my Ryobi products, to include my simple 18 volt chainsaw.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
appreciate the Ryobi support....the only one I've had was years ago cordless drill that was an endless buttpain from day one.

It was a tie for 'equally poor' in battery life/rechargeability with a Porter-Cable drill/screw machine. But that was years ago. I'm almost over being upset about them. P-C battery cost was more than the actual drill body.

Curious comparison with Makita stick battery for their pre-1990 drill. Used it intermittent home project, for literally 14 years before a new battery was required. Cost was around $22 for new battery. Wonder what their cordless chain saw really is like because of that positive service life.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
A 20V (or 60v brushless) Dewalt sawzall with a "pruning" blade is great for the smaller limbs!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Stay away from Black and Decker, anything they produce nowadays is pure garbage.

https://www.stanleyblackanddec...usinesses/our-brands That's a lot of brands

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the EGO 56V chainsaw for Christmas, but I haven't used it yet.
I have the blower & weedeater and they are both excellent. I have no doubt that the chainsaw will meet my needs.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post