SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    shopping for 'best' cordless chain saw
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shopping for 'best' cordless chain saw Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Stay away from Black and Decker, anything they produce nowadays is pure garbage.

https://www.stanleyblackanddec...usinesses/our-brands That's a lot of brands

I was referring to any gardening tools that are specifically labeled Black and Decker on the tool...….not their other brands under the Stanley/black and decker umbrella. The Black and Decker labelled gardening tools are garbage.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
You should consider the customer support of the manufacturer. I have dealt with Milwaukee to get a defective charger replaced. It was a very streamlined process and they paid for shipping both ways. Therefore, I would recommend Milwaukee. Stihl would also be a consideration since they have an extensive dealer network.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I've used the hell out of my Ryobi 40v. I have the lawn mower, hedge trimmer and string trimmer as well. The chainsaw is very capable.

Glad to hear this I have a bunch of Ryobi 18v tools that have been solid including the string trimmer but it is a bit small.
Was looking to upgrade to the 40v and a electric chainsaw for simple trail clearing would be nice so I am not always packing the Stihl on top of the Expedition.
Much easier to secure inside and not make everything smell like gas.
I've never used the 40V Ryobi chainsaw, but I do have the 18V one that came with the huge 18V Ryobi set I bought 15+ years ago. The 18V chainsaw was so lackluster that I yanked the battery out and stuck it in my 18V Ryobi sawzall which made short order of the small diameter tree.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Revisiting this Old Thread....don't know if One year past or Two years...

In any case, the 40V saw I picked has worked well thru several seasons, and cut significant amount of both smaller branches & larger up to 6" or so.

Now comes the Horrid Discovery: the battery is now incapable of taking significant charge, and the saw itself has become essentially worthless as a result.

Replacement 4A cost is $199; 2A is $159; dealer will not move off this price point.

Considering the options, which will NOT be a replacement of similar model.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Can the batteries be rebuilt?

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not consider 2 years as several seasons and would expect the batteries to last longer than they did.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second Portland from Harbor Freight only because I left my first one in the shed with the other landscaping tools for the new homeowners. My ploy was to get all new toys for our new house...and I did. I haven't put nearly as much through my newer Portland, but I'm sure it will give me good service like the older one.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I have the Ego , since I also have trimmer and blower.
Very capable saw .

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

In any case, the 40V saw I picked has worked well thru several seasons, and cut significant amount of both smaller branches & larger up to 6" or so.

Now comes the Horrid Discovery: the battery is now incapable of taking significant charge, and the saw itself has become essentially worthless as a result.

Replacement 4A cost is $199; 2A is $159; dealer will not move off this price point.

Go to YouTube abs search your brand of batteries followed by repair. Sometimes there are ways to bring them up to proper voltage so the charger will charge them properly again.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have the EGO and have used it after two hurricanes. Pretty capable and now more fiddling with two stroke, though get plenty of chain oil and a spare chain or two. Have a few batteries as have the mower, trimmer and blower from EGO too.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sorry to hear of your battery failure.

The Stihl saw/battery/charger I have has held up well so far. I use it a lot basically most of my wood cutting, unless I'm cutting up multiple trees. One charge cut this, plus about 1/2 a load this size again, and has been doing so for a couple seasons. I'm still on the original chain!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try calling the manufacturer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I'm deep in the Milwaukee FUEL 18V ecosystem, and so I bought their chainsaw (also because the rest of their OPE offerings are quite impressive).

I get more runtime from the chainsaw (on a high output 9.0 battery) than I do from their blower, which is kind of funny. Nonetheless, I just cleared several medium sized trees from a long neglected road at the farm and only drained the battery about half way. That was easily 30-40 minutes of run time.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We have the Ego 56V chainsaw, blower, and trimmer, and all have worked well.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used an EGO 56v 16" bar saw for the past two years. It has worked well for branches/trunks up to 10-12 inches in diameter. For logs larger than this I prefer my Stihl gas saw. Our family ranch has around 200 acres of pine forests, most of which was damaged badly by storms a couple of years ago. Over the past two years I've done much of the cleanup work with the EGO saw, using one 5Ah and one 2.5Ah battery. The batteries are still going strong, but I realize they must eventually be replaced. IMO the EGO saw is one of the best tools I have for managing our land.

The following is from a post I made earlier in 2021.

Two years ago in March our land was pounded with 24" of white concrete in just under a day. Then hit with multiple weekends of 50-80 mph winds. Our many acres of pine forest lands took it in the shorts. Over the past two years, most of my weekends were spent with chainsaws, chipping away at the downed branches and broken trees.

I'm now working in the hardest hit area of our land. I documented the worst 5+ acres with pictures. This section of the forest has our younger, smaller trees. Generally 30-40 feet tall, with trunks 6-14" in diameter. The cattle have basically refused to walk through this area for the past two years.

There are older trees on the ground here, too, from storms more than 10 years ago. I don't really want any more "help" from mother nature, when it comes putting more trees and branches on the ground.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Wife got me an MSA 140 for Christmas, as a sidekick to my gas powered MS 261.

Got the HSA 56 hedger which takes the same batteries as the chainsaw.

Both work really well.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Got the EGO pole saw for Christmas, haven't taken it out yet, neighbor has one, for trimming and pruning it does very well, no oil/gas to mix, not loud and hot,

EGO has a regular electric chain saw on sale, $219, $30 off ends June 2. I'd buy it before buying a $199 battery.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-P...-Included/1003130712

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was out actually looking to find a Stihl 'easypull' whatever they call it new gas saw to see if I actually could manage to not dislocate something firing it up.

Visited 3 different dealers & called 2 other stores without finding one actually on the premises. One dealer said "EVERY model Stihl I have is on back order"....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
This guy tests saws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBZt8m1XkQ

Excellent review. Tons of info with graphs and scores. Guy talks fast and the camera is always where it should be.
Best part is the Makita comes away with the best overall.
Thanx for the post-truck.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post