New
Find
Notify
Tools

London Attack Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Many people in this country are as “phobic” about firearms as anyone anyplace else in the world. There may be a higher percentage of such people in some places (almost anywhere else, as a matter of fact), but their reactions cannot be any more extreme than what we can find any day here. When it comes to personal interactions, I’ve seen far more fascination with talking to someone who is normally armed than snowflake hysteria. Even if they obviously don’t like the idea of private (or any other, for that matter) ownership of firearms, most people have been polite and inquisitive if they didn’t just change the subject. When I tell people I’m a firearms instructor, and especially if I mention my specific law enforcement duties, it’s often met with wide-eyed wonderment, but never have I encountered disgust and censure. YouTube videos obviously make it clear that that’s possible, but I suspect they usually show the small minority fringe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:There's an incredible phobia over there about firearms. People legitimately freak-out over the mere sight of a armed police officer. For a national culture that prides itself on mischief and 'sticking it to their betters' private ownership for the masses would be jumping the shark.

Let's take this set of misguided statements one ate a time, rationally and politely.

1. There is NO national phobia about firearms, if there was, there would not be upwards of 1800 gun clubs, and almost the same number of shooting ranges in the UK. Nor would there be around 2 million lawful shooters,, many thousands of gun stores, and literally dozens of gun-makers. There would be no Worshipful Company of Gunmakers Guild, either, nor would the Royal family patronise the National Rifle Association. So I think you can shut the door on that one.

2. I've never seen ANYBODY freak out at the sight of an armed police officer, and I go to major airports on a monthly basis where you are most likely to see an armed police officer. Thousands upon thousands of people fail to be freaked out either there, or in any of the major London train stations....

3. You've obviously had much better things to do than to read around 4000 of my posts [yes, 4000] out of my 8000+ posts that deal with gun ownership here in UK, even failing to notice that I have nineteen of the >4.5 million guns myself.

Hope this serves to calm you down, Sir.

tac

Based upon my personal observations and interactions with many residents and ex-pats from the UK, their reactions bordered on a 'phobia' when the topic of firearms came up. While you've pointed out private ownership with accompanying ranges is possible, I'll keep that in mind when the next 'discussion' comes up.

Sir, I give up with you, seeing as how your views are fixed in your mind. Here in UK, shooting sports, both on ranges and in the field, are at an all-time high, with licensing authorities going as far as publishing their waiting times in the national shooting magazines. Our own club has grown at the rate of about 7.5% every year, and the waiting list for noob approval is long.

The Brits continue to nigh-on dominate European and often world-class skeet/trap/clay shooting, with some of the youngest shooters yet to stand on the line.

Our own club had half of its $300K rebuild paid for by the UK government sporting body, and we continue to attract new members at every open day - that's monthly, BTW.

I'm 71 years old, and I've lived here for over half my life, and I have never, repeat, never observed the reaction you claim to have done. Disinterest, sure, but freaking-out phobia?

Nope.

It's happened here before on this great site of ours, that I've encountered closed minds with regards to any or all of what happens over here, but the UK and the USA have been friends a lot longer than enemies, and I'd like to think that you'd see the light from what I have to say from living here, and being deeply involved in the shooting community.

However, if that isn't ever going to happen, I respectfully ask that you retain your views for another thread, where we can discuss it as a sole subject, like Para would wish us to.

tac, who lives in a country where, although there are many restrictions, can have a moderator, night-vision equipment, go shooting 24/7 and have a magazine that holds a million rounds, a rifle that has a bayonet lug [or even a bayonet FIXED to it]...in any colour he likes.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Tac, thanks for the education on Britain's position on firearms!!

I found it interesting and informing to hear from someone who is actively engaged in the firearms community there.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Tac, thanks for the education on Britain's position on firearms!!

I found it interesting and informing to hear from someone who is actively engaged in the firearms community there.

Thank you, Sir. Your kind words are appreciated.

tac

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Pads do not necessarily mean no pulse. Those are put on for many reasons, even as a method of monitoring.

From my training, AED's do not work unless there is a rhythm. Not sure about the units used by EMT's.

Yeah, it's called a defibrillator for a reason. It does not restore pulse to a heart that has stopped beating. It is meant to bring a heartbeat back to a normal rhythm and out of ventricular fibrillation.

Well, not to a heart that has stopped beating due to a couple three holes in it. Hopefully they had the opportunity to lubricate the endotracheal tube with lard before inserting....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
and as an aside, when I was on Active Duty, we sanitized our uniforms too. (no ranks, no last names...we used our first names or nick names-drug dealers don't play games when you're talking 5-10 tons of pure cocaine)

When I worked at OTSG we had Delta Force officers visit. Their uniforms were sterile. Rank but no branch unit and not even a nameplate. We were specifically told not to talk with them. I always wonder d if someone was foolish enough to try a uniform correction.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Did the FBI send some of their crack investigators over there?

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...motive-a7650411.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I'll bet they messed up his order at KFC. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

In between #1 and #2:

Completely ignore Islamic angle of attack

Otherwise, textbook reaction from Europe.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16660 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

In between #1 and #2:

Completely ignore Islamic angle of attack

Otherwise, textbook reaction from Europe.

Between steps #1 and #3 this list missed a Candlelight Vigil for the victims. Libtards and Denizens of leftist areas seem to love Vigils. You just cannot have a mass murder these days without a Vigil telling the sheep that all will be well if they think happy little snowflake thoughts hard enough... Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: divil,

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:There's an incredible phobia over there about firearms. People legitimately freak-out over the mere sight of a armed police officer. For a national culture that prides itself on mischief and 'sticking it to their betters' private ownership for the masses would be jumping the shark.

Let's take this set of misguided statements one ate a time, rationally and politely.

1. There is NO national phobia about firearms, if there was, there would not be upwards of 1800 gun clubs, and almost the same number of shooting ranges in the UK. Nor would there be around 2 million lawful shooters,, many thousands of gun stores, and literally dozens of gun-makers. There would be no Worshipful Company of Gunmakers Guild, either, nor would the Royal family patronise the National Rifle Association. So I think you can shut the door on that one.

2. I've never seen ANYBODY freak out at the sight of an armed police officer, and I go to major airports on a monthly basis where you are most likely to see an armed police officer. Thousands upon thousands of people fail to be freaked out either there, or in any of the major London train stations....

3. You've obviously had much better things to do than to read around 4000 of my posts [yes, 4000] out of my 8000+ posts that deal with gun ownership here in UK, even failing to notice that I have nineteen of the >4.5 million guns myself.

Hope this serves to calm you down, Sir.

tac

Based upon my personal observations and interactions with many residents and ex-pats from the UK, their reactions bordered on a 'phobia' when the topic of firearms came up. While you've pointed out private ownership with accompanying ranges is possible, I'll keep that in mind when the next 'discussion' comes up.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this last statement in the quote.
I'm an expat, take a look at my CUT, and I know many British and Irish expats, who are living here.
Every single one of them owns a pistol, shotgun, or rifle, or all three.
Non of them freak out over the sight or thought of a firearm.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Romanian tourist injured during London attack has died

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
It is just so monstrously sad how that f*ckin' murdering POS has reached back from hell to take another innocent life.

RIP, Lady.

tac