SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I HATE theives!!! --- Update Pg. 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I HATE theives!!! --- Update Pg. 2 Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My 18 year old daughter got a brand new mountain bike a few months ago for her birthday, and she took it with her when she left for college last week. She was so excited to have it to ride to school and around town. She kept it securely locked to the bike rack at her apartment. Today, it's gone. My daughter is absolutely crushed.

Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
It's very sad, but anymore a bike left on a rack overnight will either be damaged or stolen in short order. While I don't condone it, I get stealing a bike. What I don't get though is damaging (bending rims, ripping pieces off, slashing tires, etc.) a bike. Why?

Only time I ever left my bike out while in grad school was when I'd ride over to the gym (during the day) to workout.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colleges have lots of bikes, and therefore are a hotbed of thieves. Hate them.

I rode a used stiff mountain bike, beat up, stickers all over it, worn saddle. It was in good condition, just didn't look it. Add a u-lock, it wasn't worth the effort to get.

But it was a hoot on campus. Sprinting around between classes, taking paths with no pedestrians and finding some technical bits on a bike I totally wasn't worried about....great fun.

Funny thing... a few years after graduation, I was having it checked out in a bike shop (frame bent... sigh), and another customer recognized it from campus.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Two years ago, my Daughter had her biked locked up, in front of her dorm. Someone stole the seats from all of the bikes one evening.

Really????

Yes, thieves suck! Mad

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I had two bikes stolen when I was a kid. The first one when I was no older than ten it was physically taken from me by a group of black thugs. I actually got that bike back a few months later when a local cop recovered it from the thief when he saw it on his property. Ended up going to court with my dad to hopefully see the piece of crap face some punishment. I wore a suit and everything. Waited all day in the courthouse. All day. In the end the case never even went in front of a judge and nothing happened to the thugs. I got a pretty good lesson about justice at an early age.

The second bike was stolen outside of the local library along with my buddy's bike. We had chained them together to a light pole. Came out of the library and found the bikes gone and the chain lying in the grass. Bummer. That was a pretty sweet $300 Dyno GT BMX bike too. I was 11 or 12. Dang hood boogers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My wife took her bike to the Michigan State campus. The bike disappeared 2 weeks later. Six months later it showed up in the same spot on the same bike rack. Go figger.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
My wife took her bike to the Michigan State campus. The bike disappeared 2 weeks later. Six months later it showed up in the same spot on the same bike rack. Go figger.

So the person was just borrowing it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
My 18 year old daughter got a brand new mountain bike a few months ago for her birthday, and she took it with her when she left for college last week. She was so excited to have it to ride to school and around town. She kept it securely locked to the bike rack at her apartment. Today, it's gone. My daughter is absolutely crushed.
Mad

The same thing happened to my daughter.
The only way to keep a bike on a college campus is to take it inside with you every night. Don't leave it in a bike rack outside.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Way back in the stone age, I was delivering the traditional end of year gifts to the nuns at our grammar school.

I had my brand new Schwinn Varsity, it was a beautiful blue.

The nuns insisted I come inside and closed the door. I objected, but they were adamant.

I told them I had no lock but they pushed it.

Minutes later I went outside to... no bike.

They told me I should have locked it, I rejected their pathetic lack of responsibility and told them they did me wrong.

Of course I was the one that caught hell when I got home for impugning the nuns, but dammit, they screwed me and took no responsibility.

Probably knew who stole it and covered for them.

That was the moment I changed forever and no longer blindly trusted authority figures.

Thieves need to be hammered!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

This.

I see it as narcissism when liberals downplay theft. I remember one particularly stupid libtard who said, "A thing can be replaced, but a life can not."

I retorted, "What does it take to obtain a 'thing?' You have to spend TIME at work, and what is your life other than the time you are granted here on earth?"

Commies/liberals are lawless. Seriously, when ever liberals are in charge, penalties for breaking laws are virtually ignored. Thus, Liberalism encourages lawlessness, which includes theft.

Thieves need to be hammered.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Bikes have serial numbers. Do you happen to have it written down to add to the police report? What state is her school in?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard lesson.
But all cyclists know that you take your bike inside with you and never let it out of your sight.
Especially near college campuses, bands of thieves roam with cable-cutters in a van. Jump out, cut, throw it in the van, gone in less than a minute.

{But don't call them "thieves; that is demeaning. They are "undocumented ownership transfer agents."}

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

This.

I see it as narcissism when liberals downplay theft. I remember one particularly stupid libtard who said, "A thing can be replaced, but a life can not."

I retorted, "What does it take to obtain a 'thing?' You have to spend TIME at work, and what is your life other than the time you are granted here on earth?"

Commies/liberals are lawless. Seriously, when ever liberals are in charge, penalties for breaking laws are virtually ignored. Thus, Liberalism encourages lawlessness, which includes theft.

Things are bought with money, money represents time I spent doing a thing I'd rather not do, go to work, so that I can have the things I want. Stealing things is stealing little parts of my life. So when some moonbat bleeding heart fuckhead says, "is it really worth killing something for?" Yes. Yes it is. Don't wanna get shot? Then keep your dickbeaters off things that don't belong to you, because it's not worth dying for, but that doesn't mean it's not worth killing for.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. If someone steals from my kids, it is much worse. I am curious as to whether they make a GPS for bikes or not. The chains and locks seem easily defeated.

Since I am not in law enforcement, I do not know if bikes are resold on Craigs list or just stripped for parts. I am guessing there is no surveillance video. I have lived in areas where you bring your bike into the apartment for the night. The video below may make you feel better:

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Bikes have serial numbers. Do you happen to have it written down to add to the police report? What state is her school in?

Yeah, she filed a police report with Cedar City police. SUU Campus police was closed today. She gave the officer the bike serial number, but he didn't seem too interested in seeing or taking any of the pictures my daughter offered. She said the officer didn't offer much hope of her ever getting it back.

What really sucks is the bike was on sale when we bought it. To replace it now would cost an extra $150. Mad

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless a total beater, bikes have to be taken inside into the dorm room.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've been tempted many times to create a bike with a 12 ga. seat tube and a pressure switch in the seat.

I really hate thieves.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching tat video makes me think "tazer ? ..."high voltage across handlebar grips" ?
Lots of variations. Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

posted Hide Post
Lots of GPS trackers on Amazon. I don't have any idea which is best:
https://www.amazon.com/Portabl..._product_top?ie=UTF8

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

This.

Things are bought with money, money represents time I spent doing a thing I'd rather not do, go to work, so that I can have the things I want. Stealing things is stealing little parts of my life. So when some moonbat bleeding heart fuckhead says, "is it really worth killing something for?" Yes. Yes it is. Don't wanna get shot? Then keep your dickbeaters off things that don't belong to you, because it's not worth dying for, but that doesn't mean it's not worth killing for.

Everything you said, just the way you said it!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post