SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owensboro KY LEO chasing bad guy shot by homeowner in fenced yard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owensboro KY LEO chasing bad guy shot by homeowner in fenced yard Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Recent update:

https://www.owensborotimes.com...oots-police-officer/

"UPDATE 2:20 p.m.:

Kentucky State Police detectives determined Officer Morris did discharge his department issued pistol during the incident but no one was hit.

The detained homeowner has been released and is back home at this time."

Looks like the police office shot first.

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
What a shitty situation for the homeowner. Having to fight for your life against one of the good guys over mistaken identity is a nightmare.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwl5:
Recent update:

https://www.owensborotimes.com...oots-police-officer/

"UPDATE 2:20 p.m.:

Kentucky State Police detectives determined Officer Morris did discharge his department issued pistol during the incident but no one was hit.

The detained homeowner has been released and is back home at this time."

Looks like the police office shot first.

Where does the article say the officer shot first?

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm glad the officer will live hopefully without disability but the whole thing smells like the homeowner is way up the creek. If the officer shot at the homeowner thinking he was the perp, then oops. I hope we can find out the details.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Dark.

No, it’s light enough to see at 0600.

However, it was raining yesterday morning.

I don't know where you are located, but sun rise on 10/10 in Owensboro, KY was 6:53, and at 5:30 (when the shooting happened) it is considered Astronomical Twilight. It was actually considered "night" until 5:25AM. Adding rain to the mix, means that it was probably considered dark far longer. With lack of light, most people can not see 10-15 feet. Sounds like the homeowner could be in some shit. The fenced in yard looks to be 30x40 feet, and has a few trees.

You live in Owensboro? I live Close. My brother actually lives in Owensboro and I lived in Henderson for a while after my mom and dad divorced. And at 0600, it was light enough to see yesterday morning. Consider it what you may, but actual conditions yesterday morning was light enough to see.

Conditions were about the same this morning with a touch of patchy fog.

Edited- ok I think I see the disconnect. At 530 it would be too dark to see. The call came in around 530. The shooting actually did not occur until around 6 when it was much more light.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I'm glad the officer will live hopefully without disability but the whole thing smells like the homeowner is way up the creek. If the officer shot at the homeowner thinking he was the perp, then oops. I hope we can find out the details.

Hopefully we eventually get the whole story. Hopefully the officer makes a full recovery.

I still think the whole situation calls for being able to flip a switch and light up the yard without leaving the house. Maybe it helps the cop find the perp. Hopefully it helps the homeowner figure out what is going on without exposing himself to fire from *anyone* in the yard. YMMV.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Used to run corner lights with the ability to light up front and light up back with flips of 2 switches.

Now run corner lights & front lit up, option to light back up with a flip of the switch.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another great reason to have video cameras around your house.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Yep! Those too

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Another great reason to have video cameras around your house.

Ring flood light all the way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

Now, if it turns out the officer shot first then it is still the responsibility of the homeowner to properly ID the target before he shoots. I will be curious to see if the "but he shot first" defense counts for anything.

While being shot at? Just in case the person in the yard shooting at you right this moment "might" be a cop?

Okay...care to test that theory even with Sim rounds (never mind bullets)?

Been there, done that. 4 classes worth so far. Probably nothing near what some have taken but I wager more than most.

So, cowboy roy, let's talk about your premise. There you are all macho protecting your turf when someone near the back yard shoots at you. You, being such a stud ID the target and fire away. You don't need no stinking light... The target goes down and you start patting yourself on the back when, oh shit... There are more rounds coming in. He must have had an accomplice you deduce in milliseconds because you know, your are macho man and you are such a well tuned machine you don't even need to completely ID your target. You begin returning fire again and then silence breaks out.

The police pull up and you are sooo proud of yourself that you about have a heart attack when the police command you down, disarm you and handcuff you. But, self defense you cry in anguish. The officer says that 14 year old kid you didn't properly identify shot at you? Where is his gun?

Self defense? No, manslaughter if you are lucky and murder in some places. And heaven help you if the kid is one of the protected classes.

So yes, you better damn well believe I'm going to take as much time as I need to properly ID what I'm shooting at. If I lose, so be it.

Enjoy prison...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umm, drama much? I was merely commenting on the real-world difficulties of target ID in the dark while taking incoming fire at close range on one’s property.

I was not commenting on anyone’s motives or choice of tactics. Best practice would be observe from inside and/or lights and ID.

Cool story bro.

So you ID the person actively shooting at you is a cop, now what? There is no good choice to make in the next second...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Umm, drama much? I was merely commenting on the real-world difficulties of target ID in the dark while taking incoming fire at close range on one’s property.

I was not commenting on anyone’s motives or choice of tactics. Best practice would be observe from inside and/or lights and ID.

Cool story bro.

So you ID the person actively shooting at you is a cop, now what? There is no good choice to make in the next second...

Just because the person shooting at you is a police officer does not void your right to self defense. I am under the firm belief that police officers need to be held to a higher standard and that a private citizen should get every benefit of the doubt that a police office does.

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post