SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alexa--the spy in your home.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexa--the spy in your home. Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to believe that people actually pay money for those things.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
FWIW, I just discovered something interesting.

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time.

Not on either my wife's nor my iPhones or iPads.

If you don't think Samsung is on the same path, you should revisit your assumptions.

I never even mentioned Samsung.

So, ???

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I actually do have a NIB 2nd gen Amazon Echo that I was looking to karma here but I'm not going to give it away so it can just be destroyed. I'll have to think of something else to put up for a karma now.

Is that the new one with the smart hubs all built in? I'd definitely use it. The Philips Hub to Alexa link gets onerous.

I just always assume everything I say is being listened to. I usually have my phone within arms reach so everything else that's "listening" is just redundant.

I just really wish we could rename the echos to custom names. Mine would be named NSA, FBI, and CIA.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of these evesdropping devices. While I do have a Logitech Harmony Hub that probably does some market reporting in spite of my negating that option on installation what it can report about me is that I am a fan of NCIS, cooking shows, and PBS Nova. It can also report that as soon as I see George Stephanopolis I change the channel.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Is that the new one with the smart hubs all built in?

No, I believe that would be the Echo Plus.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've been saying it for quite some time. I would not have this crap in my home....

Ditto.

All software will at sometime screw up. And I don't think all screw ups are accidents.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I mentioned that there is a place that rents carpet cleaning machines nearby. Afterward, I opened the Amazon app on my phone and an ad for carpet cleaning machines comes up in a banner.
Maybe they are monitoring SIGforum. I own a fleet of these things that I supply to stores like Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware, for renting to end users.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30660 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
quote:

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time.
Not on either my wife's nor my iPhones or iPads.
If you don't think Samsung is on the same path, you should revisit your assumptions.
I never even mentioned Samsung.

So, ???
I think that he is saying that even though you mentioned iThings specifically, it is likely that the same or similar situation exists with devices from other manufacturers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30660 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Every Android device has the Google voice search active as well. The only way that can work is if it is listening to you all the time. You can go into settings and turn it off, but I don't trust it.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
"Suri, call Cortana and Google over, and have them bring Alexa, 'cause then it's a party!"

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
You won't find one of those things in our house!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering, is there any of these things in the White House?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Every Android device has the Google voice search active as well. The only way that can work is if it is listening to you all the time. You can go into settings and turn it off, but I don't trust it.

My android phone does not have google's voice search on it let alone active.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

If you open up the Google app under settings > Voice > "OK Google" detection isn't on? If so you are lucky. I have multiple phones and tablets and they all had it enabled. It may be Google Assistant on newer devices.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

If you open up the Google app under settings > Voice > "OK Google" detection isn't on? If so you are lucky. I have multiple phones and tablets and they all had it enabled. It may be Google Assistant on newer devices.

Voice may have been installed when I bought the phone, it’s been a while so I don't remember. First thing I did was go through and uninstall or disable as much of the bloatware crap as I could.
I just went and looked for google assistant to make sure they didn’t sneak it by me.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've been saying it for quite some time. I would not have this crap in my home.

Furthermore, when I have sex with my wife, all cellphones and tablets are off, or they are in some other room. I ain't kiddin'.

Ain't nobody's damn business

And there goes your privacy... Big Grin

Couldn't help myself. Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time. I made it a point to turn it off a year or two ago and just assumed that it stayed that way. Nope.

From time to time my phone needs a reboot. So, it seems Siri has been on for quite some time when I thought it was off.

Bastards! Mad

Goddamnit.
You're right. Just turned it back off myself.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post