SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alexa--the spy in your home.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexa--the spy in your home. Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Alexa open the pod bay doors.

"I'm sorry 18DAI I can't do that."

.......???........

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've been saying it for quite some time. I would not have this crap in my home.

Furthermore, when I have sex with my wife, all cellphones and tablets are off, or they are in some other room. I ain't kiddin'.

Ain't nobody's damn business

Same here! Although it’s such a chore using a traditional camcorder...Eek Big Grin

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I just discovered something interesting.

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time. I made it a point to turn it off a year or two ago and just assumed that it stayed that way. Nope.

From time to time my phone needs a reboot. So, it seems Siri has been on for quite some time when I thought it was off.

Bastards! Mad

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
AMZN is selling cloud services to the military, and the NSA, I believe.

According to one of their cloud service sales reps, they sell their cloud services to .gov, DOD, DOJ, whoever they can. All of Amazon’s operating income comes from their web services.

I was talking on my cell phone with my wife and I mentioned that there is a place that rents carpet cleaning machines nearby. Afterward, I opened the Amazon app on my phone and an ad for carpet cleaning machines comes up in a banner. This has happened with other products as well.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
So, I guess a Karma for an Amazon Echo wouldn't be well received here then? Big Grin

I'll take it!

<fires up the grill...>

Experimenting with networked TV in the ensigmatic household, lately, I was dismayed to find the Amazon TV device came with a remote that would listen to me to control the thing. Luckily, it could also be controlled with a IR remote, cuz there's no way I wanted that listening device remote in my home.

The phones and tablets are a separate problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time.

Not on either my wife's nor my iPhones or iPads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:

It seems when you restart your iPhone, Siri turns on automatically and you have to go back into "Settings" and turn it off each time.

Hmmm...I've got an SE. Maybe it's just this model.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You're gonna have a Hell of a time gettin' that TV onto the grill.

12ga would work too!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

"The person on the other line said, 'unplug your Alexa devices right now,'" she said. "'You're being hacked.'"

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/rkcGm-pWwsQ

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I actually do have a NIB 2nd gen Amazon Echo that I was looking to karma here but I'm not going to give it away so it can just be destroyed. I'll have to think of something else to put up for a karma now.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you have a modern cell/smart phone ... you don’t have privacy; on or off.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not on either my wife's nor my iPhones or iPads.[/QUOTE]

Nor on any of ours.

And I will never have an Amazon or Google device in my home. Never.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Zero Hedge article on Alexa

One of the comments makes an interesting point. I wonder if Alexa or any other device listens to your private conversation about a medical concern, and that information is shared without your permission, if that violates HIPAA? Amazon wants to get into the healthcare business.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...hout-your-permission

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
This:

"If you have a modern cell/smart phone ... you don’t have privacy; on or off.'

No way would have any of that be in my possession.

Wait, I do have a dumb,pre-paid ($19.99 bought at Walmart) cell phone, generally in the charger as I rarely carry it.

It's actually for emergencies and guess what, I only, but rarely use it to call my wife and most calls last less than a minute.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Zero Hedge article on Alexa

One of the comments makes an interesting point. I wonder if Alexa or any other device listens to your private conversation about a medical concern, and that information is shared without your permission, if that violates HIPAA? Amazon wants to get into the healthcare business.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...hout-your-permission

sarc on/

Insurers give folks a discount for letting them wire up your car to give them real-time location/speed/usage. I wonder if medical insurers will give spybot Alexa/Cortana/Siri users similar discounts in the future?

/sarc off
At least, I hope it's sarcasm, and not prognostication. Eek

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“I’ve scanned the QR code on you’re snack, it contains an unhealthy amount of sugar. You’re health stats indicate that you are overweight and suffer from high blood pressure and borderline diabetes. This incident has been reported to you’re insurance provider.”

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
most of that stuff can be turned off in settings and if all else fails the device can be turned off.

I suppose some may believe it is turned off, but I don’t. It’s just to make people feel better. I believe they just go into a “ghost mode” and continue listening.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:

If you don't think Samsung is on the same path, you should revisit your assumptions.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All part of Skynet.

Adjusts tin foil hat.

I have a Galaxy S8 and a few months ago I was talking about getting a new car. Never looked up anything on my phone through Google or anything.
Started getting promotional ads through my email about buying new cars.
I now turn my phone off every night and usually leave it in the family room with the dog. They can listen to him fart all night.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
You can turn off your google ads in your google account preferences.

I don't get any ads.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
most of that stuff can be turned off in settings and if all else fails the device can be turned off.

I suppose some may believe it is turned off, but I don’t. It’s just to make people feel better. I believe they just go into a “ghost mode” and continue listening.

So true. Although the cell phone manipulations by law enforcement are common knowledge and have been going on for quite a while, many people still find the cell phone & ONSTAR exposures acceptable but will raise holy hell about ALEXA and smart TVs/appliances...different degrees of objectionable, I guess.

FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool
https://www.cnet.com/news/fbi-...-eavesdropping-tool/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post