SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me buy a TIG welder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me buy a TIG welder Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Decision reached: I ordered a new Miller Synchrowave 210 this morning. The local store agreed to match the online Cyber weld price; I was happy to keep the $$ in Montana instead of NJ. Miller is shipping the welder directly to me; by this time next week a shiny blue TIG machine will be sitting where the Triumph is parked now.

It's probably too much welder for what I need, but I really don't even need a TIG; just wanted one Smile

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One really good addition is a electrode sharpener. For years I used a grinder, which produced so-so results. When I bought a professional electrode shapener, my weld quality went way up.

Only issue is that the sharpener cost about $1,000. There are many low cost alternatives. Ideally a good sharpener has a diamond wheel and super high class bearings, so it spins very smoothly.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Nice choice! I have owned a synchrowave 180 for years. I have a mini bench grinder I use to sharpen electrodes. It is dedicated for that one and only purpose so the tungsten does not get contaminated.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
One really good addition is a electrode sharpener. For years I used a grinder, which produced so-so results. When I bought a professional electrode shapener, my weld quality went way up.

Only issue is that the sharpener cost about $1,000. There are many low cost alternatives. Ideally a good sharpener has a diamond wheel and super high class bearings, so it spins very smoothly.

Do you think a beginner would notice the difference between an electrode sharpened on a pedestal grinder and one sharpened on a diamond wheel sharpener like this?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hear that?
opportunity knocking:
https://www.businessbroker.net...rer-iowa/459751.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County,_Iowa

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Looks like nice area, but it would take a minor miracle for me to leave NW Montana. What I'm hoping is now that I have the welder, friends who know what they're doing will bring beer to use my rig , and perhaps impart a little knowledge while they're TIG'ing.

posted Hide Post
A diamond sharpener will produce cleaner and better welds as there is less contamination. It would make your welding easier as well as better. Buying the expensive sharpener was much more helpful that I had expected.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
For a professional, an electrode sharpener is a worthy investment. It will pay for itself.

For a hobbyist, it is not a necessity. If you have a cordless drill and a bench grinder, you can get by just fine.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've only got one thing to say when it comes to TIG.

get the foot control.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guy I know used to weld aluminum mountain bicycle frames for a USA manufacturer. Every day he started the day by sharpening 165 tungsten electrodes. I bet he got real good at welding aluminum.

-c1steve

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A good welding table needs to be on your list.
You will soon realize that you’ve created a monster.
You always feel that one more piece of equipment and you’ll be complete. Once you get it you realize that something else is needed.
Soon you will need a bigger shop.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice choice! An automotive prototype shop I worked at had Miller Tigs and Lincoln Migs. I used a Mig daily but didn't get much time on the Tig.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A good welding table needs to be on your list.
You will soon realize that you’ve created a monster.
You always feel that one more piece of equipment and you’ll be complete. Once you get it you realize that something else is needed.
Soon you will need a bigger shop.

You must have been in my head! I've been out of town for work, but have been thinking about the weld table I don't yet own. I have a small POS table I use for oxy/acet welding, but want something bigger and nicer for layout and TIG. The auto dark helmet wasn't cheap, new uncontaminated grinding wheels for my bench grinder, ...
If I need a bigger shop than this I'm going to need new wife too, the welding area is on the right in the background.