SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Natural gas well
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Natural gas well Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
We have started looking at land a little south of us. One listing for 5 acres stated it had a natural gas well. Can the well be used to heat a house or run a backup generator for the house?

Im sure there would be an upfront cost for equipment. Would the investment be worth it?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work indirectly with oil and gas, so I’m kinda familiar with the surface equipment.

My guess is no. Quality of the gas, pressure in the line being too great, ownership of the well and gas, a midstream company may take possession of the gas at the wellhead, taxes being avoided, and your public utility commission likely would say no.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Check to see if mineral and/or subsurface rights are part of the transaction. You could be buying a property with a well that you get no benefit from.

ETA: Not to mention, someone has access to your property 24/7 for well maintenance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dlc444,

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Russ59 and dlc444 covered it, and I have nothing to add.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:

ETA: Not to mention, someone has access to your property 24/7 for well maintenance

Very good point. I should have thought of that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is worth checking into.

My grandmother had gas wells on her farm that were connected to her house (and a neighbor’s house which Is an interesting story). Her old farm house was cozy warm.

A lot of different factors as stated above but if everything is setup right it could be a big plus.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I remember in the 1970’s there was a house in Northville Township Michigan listed for sale in the local newspaper real estate section with the statement made it had a Natural Gas well on the property that gave the property owner free gas.

Never inquired as the listing price was way out of my realm.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Conventional gas wells all reach the end of their commercial life at some point. But these wells are often connected to the landowner's house at that point, as they can continue to supply one household for decades. Very common in the Appalachian Basin in states like PA, OH, WV, KY where small, shallow conventional wells are the most common.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gas well can be very expensive to maintain. I have wells on my camp property but do not own the mineral rights. But the gas company gives me 50000 cubic feet free and at cost for any more that I use.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
Check to see if mineral and/or subsurface rights are part of the transaction. You could be buying a property with a well that you get no benefit from.

I'd also be concerned if it'd ever be possible for the owners of the shallow well to make it into a deep shale well because if so you could end up with an industrial site there. Russ and Bigbore could probably answer this.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post