SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Macbook battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Macbook battery Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Anyone have any experience with aftermarket MacBook batteries.

Mine has been slowly dying. It will still hold a charge but the length it last is getting bad. The onboard apple software says to replace it now.

I have no problems replacing it myself but wonder how aftermarket batteries compare to Apple batteries.

Apple wants $200 to replace mine. That's insane. I can find it for $80-90 from places like "ifixit" but they are still not Apple.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck a couple of times with aftermarket batteries by NuPower, sold at Other World Computing. OWC has a good reputation in the Mac world. I’ve bought RAM and other odds and ends from them and wouldn’t hesitate to do business there.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don’t know yet about long term but the third-party MacBook Air battery I got from Amazon went in fine and holds a charge.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've bought four or five batteries for MB Pros that came from several different aftermarket manufacturers. I didn't have any problems with them and they gave good endurance.

I would prefer to buy OEM but the price difference is significant.

If you are skeptical, you might consider buying the battery via Amazon. Search whatever model battery you need and sort by "customer review". This gives you some options if you have a problem right off the bat. I have noticed that sellers are a bit more aware of negative feedback on Amazon vs. Ebay.

Just keep in mind there appears to be some serious drug users that also give these reviews- look at the negative feedback and decide. (Frequently as forum members have noticed- you have people who give a negative review on something because of emotional or stoopid reasons)...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I recommend OWC (1 year warranty) or ifixit.com. OWC's batteries come with the necessary tools.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Since I messed up the link in my previous post, I'll post again and suggest reading at this point in a different topic where Macbook batteries and CoconutBattery were discussed: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...810086334#1810086334

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Depends on the model. At least one of them is hard as hell to replace. Kit from ifixit comes with a syringe and chemicals for removing the glue on the original battery. I think most of those kits include the OEM quality battery though...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Worth mentioning-

Apple’s latest Mac notebook OEM batteries are designed to maintain about 80% of their original charging capacity after 1000 cycles or 5 years. That means a battery that lasted for 5 hours when it was new should last around 4 hours by the time it gets to 1000 cycles.
For comparison, PC makers like HP only expect their batteries to hold 80% of their capacity after 300 cycles or 1 year.

If you want to know the cycle count on your battery, select "About this Mac" on the left upper corner, click on "system report" and select "Power". It will give battery information and the battery Cycle Count and condition.

If you are going to store your Macbook Pro long term, don't store it completely discharged. It's best to only charge it to around 50% because if you store it fully charged it may lose some capacity over time.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My battery has a little over 1000 cycles.

quote:
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 3219
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4644
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 1097
Condition: Replace Soon
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 2506
Voltage (mV): 12031

Running iStat it list my battery health at 55%

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I bought a Nu Power battery from Mac.Sales.com for my MacBook Pro. It works well comes with procedure on calibration, fairly simple to install.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Running iStat it list my battery health at 55%

Although I did find their website, I am not otherwise familiar with iStat. In the linked discussion that I posted earlier which occurred in another topic, I recommended the free coconut Battery app which provides more detailed information about your battery than Apple's OS does. As mentioned in that topic, I upgraded to the plus version of coconut Battery for $10 mostly as a donation, but also to monitor the health status of my SSDs.

You didn't mention the model/year of your Mac, but if it is a Retina Mac, then the battery is glued in and was intentionally designed to be difficult to be user serviceable. If I owned a Retina Mac that needed a new battery, I would just let Apple replace it since my time is more valuable to me than my money. (And also, I did carelessly damage a logic board while replacing a battery in my deceased mid-2010 MBP.)

If you Mac is pre-Retina, replacing the battery is fairly simple if you are not in a rush "just to get it working again". Smile