SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Gates: I need to be paying higher taxes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Gates: I need to be paying higher taxes Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The GM of a restaurant I worked at about five years ago used to be Steve Ballmer's personal chef during the "GIVE IT UP FOR ME!!!!!" era. I asked him what it was like, and he thought for a second and said "those types of people live so high above us they don't know what it's like to be human anymore."

You and I, and the rest of us will likely never have Steve Ballmer's kinda money, and he will never have Bill Gate's kinda money, and neither of them will ever have to struggle the way the rest of humanity has to. Perspective is key. Bill is out of line, but because he's a go-zillionaire, he gets to weigh in like his opinion matters.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Maybe the asshole can send some money to fix the radioactive landfill one of his companies is responsible for in St. Louis.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then why is his $400 million yacht "Serene" registered in the Cayman Islands to avoid US taxes and avoid needing to employ U.S. crew????

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...B4468F9BC3&FORM=VIRE

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Now would be a good time to start, Bill.
You've spent all of the rest of your life trying to pay as little as possible.
Oh, you didn't mean yourself, you meant the rest of us.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Nothing but virtue signaling.

He has no intention of paying higher taxes...ever.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leaders lead. This is not that.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I wish that there was a line on the 1040 for those who claim they want to pay more federal income taxes. Heck they could set their own tax rate as long as it was above the amount set by current tax law. It would also be interesting to see then how many paid for and how much in total and average.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I know this goes against the grain here, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if Congress slapped a 75% tax on incomes over, say, $2 million. It seems like many who make that much don't seem to care.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I know this goes against the grain here, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if Congress slapped a 75% tax on incomes over, say, $2 million. It seems like many who make that much don't seem to care.

So a guy spends his life doing odd jobs to support himself in his industrial creative pursuits. At long last he builds a better mousetrap and the world beats a path to his door. He sells his invention to Bill Gates for $2,000,000 gets tagged with a $1,500,000 tax bill has a nice sum of $500,000 left after 35 years of work. And you think that's fair?

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
First, if you know anything about the income tax system creating a bracket at $2,000,000 means taxing any income OVER that at 75%. So if someone made $4,000,000, they'd pay the 75% on the last $2,000,000

Second, to your fairness point, Note the title of the thread. HE does't seem to have a problem with it. Neither does Warren Buffet. You might be able to throw Michael Bloomberg in there also. So if the billionaire class seems to have no problem paying it, why not?

quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

So a guy spends his life doing odd jobs to support himself in his industrial creative pursuits. At long last he builds a better mousetrap and the world beats a path to his door. He sells his invention to Bill Gates for $2,000,000 gets tagged with a $1,500,000 tax bill has a nice sum of $500,000 left after 35 years of work. And you think that's fair?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

The top marginal rate has been as high as 94%
It was at 70% when Ronald Reagan became President.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org...nal-income-tax-rates

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Unless the gubbermint has changed the rules, there is no damned reason gates or others of his ilk cannot pay all the "extra" taxes they want.

Just write the fucking check, spend 49?cents for postage and mail it. Even better light up your personal airliner and fly it to DC in person.

Show the rest of us serfs that your are serious.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which absolutely justifies confiscating their wealth so it can be redistributed by GDCs to buy votes, right?

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
75% tax on incomes over, say, $2 million

So successful business persons would only have to pay the government $750,000 for every $250,000 they keep. That sounds generous.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He can cut a check for any amount above what he owes any time he wants. The IRS will deposit it and he won't get in trouble.

This is about as genuine as the wimpy guy yelling for someone to hold him back to avoid a fight.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
75% tax on incomes over, say, $2 million

So successful business persons would only have to pay the government $750,000 for every $250,000 they keep. That sounds generous.

That 2 million in New York city is a lot different than 2 million in say, Buzzard Breath Wyoming.

But getting back on topic, I'd like to see if he gives money to, say Shriners Children's Hospitals and St. Jude's. I do. If you really want to make a difference in peoples lives there are far more efficient organizations than the US government to do your feel good donations.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Second, to your fairness point, Note the title of the thread. HE does't seem to have a problem with it. Neither does Warren Buffet. You might be able to throw Michael Bloomberg in there also. So if the billionaire class seems to have no problem paying it, why not?

I disagree, obviously HE does have a problem with it. All the self-serving, hypocritical billionaires like him do because they aren't paying more than they are required to are they? Otherwise we would be privy to big press conferences where they present the checks to the gov't.

I'm sure they ALL have armies of accountants and lawyers working away to take advantage of every exemption, deduction and tax shelter that they legally can, and who can blame them. I would too. The difference is I wouldn't be whining about how I wish I could pay more. These people talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Anyone who says they knowingly pay more in taxes than they need to is either a liar or an idiot.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post