SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tall Ships in Erie, PA August 22-25, 2019
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tall Ships in Erie, PA August 22-25, 2019 Login/Join 
posted
Just a heads up for anyone interested.
I have not been to this festival yet, but my wife and I will attend some time during the event.
The info states,... 8-10 tall ships, on-board tours, sail-aways,live music and entertainment,children's activities,a festival marketplace, food vendors, a beer garden, and more. I have no idea how much tickets are or what day starts the on board tours. You can google the event and find out.

I will be attempting to get pictures with my old Kodak box camera. And produce at least one more painting before I "ship off".
Hope to see some of you there.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I have been to a tall ships festival. And this year to a festival of sails (not all tall ships).
Tall ships was cool, but I went by water, so I’m not sure about entrance fees, etc.
I hope you enjoy it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Well I know what I am doing this weekend.

Thanks

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
8-10 tall ships, on-board tours, sail-aways,live music and entertainment,children's activities,a festival marketplace, food vendors, a beer garden, and more.

Very cool. Enjoy!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might go up there. It's a little over an hour from my house. Be a nice ride on the bike weather permitting.
Daughter goes back to college in a few days so I'm pretty free after that.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
They were here from August 1st to 4th.

I had tickets to go out on a "sail away", basically a ~80 minute cruise into Lake Michigan on one of the ships, but ended up selling the tickets, as we had family health issues.

Can see some photos here:
Kenosha tall ships

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About an hour from my house. Might take the mustang out for a drive.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45 minute drive for us, must see if the better half is interested.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live halfway between Cleveland and Erie.
That's about a 40 minute drive for us as well.

Now that I am retired I have the time to do this.

I should mention this while I am lucidWink
there is a little shop at
811 West 26th Street in Erie
called PRESQUE ISLE MILITARIA. That's just a little west of St. Vincent Hospital.
Lots of interesting things there. New, old and really old dress uniform caps,web gear, bayos, badges, buttons, lots of stuff.
If you have the time check them out.
Take note that you will have to drive into the alley next to the building and park in back.
They are on the south side of the street.
I am going to stop there on the way and pick up a USMC Booney Hat for my Great Nephew's birthday ($12).

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
We live halfway between Cleveland and Erie.
That's about a 40 minute drive for us as well.

Now that I am retired I have the time to do this.

I should mention this while I am lucidWink
there is a little shop at
811 West 26th Street in Erie
called PRESQUE ISLE MILITARIA. That's just a little west of St. Vincent Hospital.
Lots of interesting things there. New, old and really old dress uniform caps,web gear, bayos, badges, buttons, lots of stuff.
If you have the time check them out.
Take note that you will have to drive into the alley next to the building and park in back.
They are on the south side of the street.
I am going to stop there on the way and pick up a USMC Booney Hat for my Great Nephew's birthday ($12).

Cool thanks...I need a campaign hat....for scouting

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
Here is some more info about the event:
https://www.tallshipserie.org/

Make sure you read over the details about parking areas and security. The place will probably be a zoo so plan ahead with parking locations. The event has been declared a Marine Event of National Significance so be familiar with security policies like no weapons or backpacks.

I wasn't able to make it to the last Tall Ships here in Erie but hope to catch some of it this year. The Parade of Sail will be on Thursday afternoon. I've heard from friends that if you can find a spot near the channel, you will be able to have a front row seat to all of the ships entering the bay. There are fireworks on Thursday night and then the tours and exhibits open on Friday.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 881 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mr_Black.
I was hoping someone would post a little more information. I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to update my old laptop in order to to search effectively (can't get there from here).
The one thing I especially wanted to know is if the ship boarding starts on Thursday or Friday.
The info I was able to find was from last July. And it stated that the participants had a meeting on a certain vessel on Thursday, and then the public was allowed to start ship boarding on Friday.

dewhorse,
I didn't see any D.I. type campaign hats the last time I was there, but he may have one or two now.
There were some very old dress uniform "hats" without the cloth. Meaning just the bill and headband (with accompanying buttons on the band). If I am correct, some were as old as the Spanish American War. Don't hold me to that but some of this stuff is ancient.
I forgot to mention that there is a lot of items from WWII. German, English, Japanese, British.
Last time my wife and I were there I told the proprietor that I wouldn't mind if he locked me in the shop for a weekend. I would have a ball.
It is a little like a museum.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
USMC4–
You must live close to me, or where I grew up in (Kingsville) I now live real close to Ash/Lake line. Hello neighbor.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up—not for Erie but for San Diego. They have a Festival of Sail every Labor Day weekend, of which I was not aware.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfest,
I am well aware of Kingsville. I NEVER go over the speed limit when going through Kingsville.
Wink
And, yes, I am in Ashtabula. The Gulf is nearly in my back yard (bottom of Bunker Hill).
In my younger days walking the Gulf during Salmon Season was wonderful. Anymore I'm worried about making it across the parking lot at Tall Ships. If you get there and see an old fart laying in the road with a red cane next to him, be a good lad and kindly move me to the side.
Much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
USMCE4retired

I live just south of you in Jeff.

I got my first speeding ticket in North Kingsville back in 65.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
N. Kingsville—for such a small place it’s had a storied past. From gun store explosion, police chiefs who can’t keep out of trouble, sex at city hall, and the proverbial speed trap. Took a few flying lessons at the airport there, across from the old bowling alley. Now it’s a trucking place. Used to hang out at Breezy Inn, and Dad was bf with guy who owned Campers Corners. You always had to watch your Ps and Qs when venturing into NK. I grew up south of there in Kingsville. Completely different animal. Some of my first jobs were working at Big K.

Small world.—I went to Edgewood and have friends that own Pub in Harbor. Family all over out there.
My grandma lived in Leon, and later in Dorset. Uncle sold real estate for Millers in Jeff. Just went to Jeff Diner and had excellent burger, real fries, and dessert.
If I make Tall Ships, I’ll look for road kill. Nice talking to both of you.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfest,
Small world.
I grew up in the Harbor area.
Every school I ever went to has been removed from the face of the earth. Washington, Columbus, Harbor High. It's like I was never here.
My best bud and I traveled the woods of Jefferson extensively no matter the weather.
It was especially nice during a heavy snow fall.
We also did a lot of fishing in the streams along the lake. Fred (buddy) caught a Salmon as big as his leg in the Gulf one year. I couldn't believe the size of that thing. Got enough eggs from her to fish the rest of the season.

At the moment my computer is so messed up I can't even log into my email, or I would contact you. I will say that I will be wearing a USMC digital camo Booney hat at Tall Ships.
Look for that , and the red cane and you will find me.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember going to a week long tall-ships event in Halifax - first one they had there. I think there were close to 400 ships that arrived in all, and just about every one was open to the public

I remember getting aboard the USCG Eagle, but the one I found the most interesting was getting on the Russian ship Kruzenshtern, and there was one for Portugal that was simply awesome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vanwall,
65 is a long time ago, but they have been at it a long time.
Did you get blasted by that "micro burst" the other night? I could tell that the worst of it was south and east of us. It made me think of heading for the basement. Then it was over.