SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instapot advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instapot advice Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Okay, Mrs. Cooker and I bought the Instapot SV. Her rice cooker was crapping out. So we throw in the rice, and follow the instructions.

First time, everything was fine, but the rice didn’t cook very well. A little raw.

Second time, the rice was good. Came out great. The kitchen counter, within a foot in every direction was covered in rice starch water. Not good, and by the time we found it, it had dried and looked like peeled sunburn skin everywhere.

Tonight, cooking rice again. It starts spitting starch water all over out the blowhole, and I just threw a kitchen towel over the contraption.

Is this normal? We wash the rice five or six times like any good Korean does. The Korean rice cookers don’t throw shit all over the kitchen.

This is now the third time this instapot has been used.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My advice is to buy another rice cooker. Does one job, and does it well. Also, it makes sense to have your rice cooking simultaneously with your main entree.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Close the vent.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Close the vent.

Two settings. Vented and pressure.

I have it on pressure.

As far as buying a rice cooker, I bought this because we live in a vacuum of anything not steak and taters. Rice cookers are not to be found. Online, or a trip to LA.

I thought the instapot would be a cook dual purpose device. Meh, I’d rather grill and have a rice cooker. Maybe a trip to LA is in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Contact their customer support. It shouldn’t be doing that. My wife cooks rice in ours and it’s never done that, and she isn’t Asian and it turns out great. Though, I know plenty of Asians out here who flatly swear they can’t live without their Zojirushi, so if that’s the ticket, you know what do do. Smile

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I have it on pressure.

Yes. But did you close the vent? If the vent is closed and steam and water is getting out, there is something wrong with your pressure cooker.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:

I have it on pressure.

Yes. But did you close the vent? If the vent is closed and steam and water is getting out, there is something wrong with your pressure cooker.

https://detoxinista.com/wp-con...-seal-vent-lever.jpg

A pressure cooker leaking does not sound right to me, but I don't own one.

I have this Dedicated rice cooker and I love it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Make sure you didn’t throw away the rubber ring that seals the pressure in.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
And IME its just as fast or faster to cook rice on the stove once you wait for the pressure cooker to come up to temp, cook, and depressurize. Likely faster. And I also vote for dedicated rice cooker.

Insta pot is great for some things like accelerating long cooking times for stew meat and beans and such. For rice, not so much.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the valve, shouldn't be sputtering through the process. Check your ring gasket also.

IP's are pretty handy but, they're not the all-purpose miracle appliance that some make it out to be. I actually don't like the way it cooks rice, and stuck with my inexpensive Zojirushi just for rice duty.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:

I have it on pressure.

https://detoxinista.com/wp-con...-seal-vent-lever.jpg

A pressure cooker leaking does not sound right to me, but I don't own one.

I have this Dedicated rice cooker and I love it.

Jesse, you have almost exactly what we had. Ours just was more colorful and whatnot. It died. The instapot isn’t a replacement for that. At all.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We bought a rice cooker off Amazon for like 40 or 50 bucks. Works very well .

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's not sealing? I have one unit (I have 3 of the dang things) that doesn't seal on a regular basis. I wet the "rubber" seal and have to watch it to make sure the pressure builds before I walk away. If it doesn't, it will often piss water out from around the lid.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
We have the Tiger JKJ-G rice cooker and it cooks different varieties of rice perfectly. Recommended by several clients at the local Asian store. Made in Japan.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I have one I've used a handful of times. It spits very little as it gets to the seal temp.
When it seals, it is sealed tight and nothing vents out. This is when the timer starts counting down.
Then of course it sprays if I do a quick release of pressure at the end of the cook.

I don't find them to be that fast as it takes a while to get to temp. and seal. And then the cool down takes awhile at the end.
If I was in a tiny apartment w/ no space, it would be used more.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The lid seals just fine. That’s not the issue. It’s the vent at the top. It’s set to pressure, but it just blows steam and water (and starch) everywhere.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I would take the vent and valve apart, clean, and replace. Do a water test to verify it's working properly, then do a batch of rice.

My guess is that the vent may have been accidentally left open, and the starch buildup is preventing proper pressure sealing.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I would take the vent and valve apart, clean, and replace. Do a water test to verify it's working properly, then do a batch of rice.

My guess is that the vent may have been accidentally left open, and the starch buildup is preventing proper pressure sealing.

You never mentioned how much rice and water you were trying to cook at one time. If you overfill the inner pot and leave the pressure vent open you can expect the boiling water to spew out the vent to make a mess.

Add 1-1/4 cups of liquid for every cup of brown rice, set the pressure cook time to 22 minutes, turn the vent selector to seal and keep an eye on the little pop up valve to make sure it pops up to sealing position. Sometimes the pop up valve has trouble activating, but a tap on the handle has always helped it pop up. Do not assume it will always automatically pop up to seal. Once it does you can go off to do whatever. The I-Pot will cook the rice, go into keep warm mode and release the pressure naturally. We’ve cooked rice at least once a week without a bobble for the last 2+ years we’ve had ours. Don’t give up on that handy little tool.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
2 cups of rice. Water is hard to say as we wash the rice and just fill till you know where it’s supposed to go. I would guess 3-4 cups of water.

The pot is only 1/4 full at best, if even that much.

I’m not putting ten cups of rice and 15 cups of water in there. Smile

quote:
The “lol” thread

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search on youtube for instant pot rice. The video says one to one ratio of rice to water is recommended.

Instant Pot Perfect Fluffy White Rice ~ Pressure Cooker Rice ~ Amy Learns to Cook

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post