SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Full auto highway stop by Utah PD
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full auto highway stop by Utah PD Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
From the article:

"“We’re not going to allow the individual to get back into the public with his mindset," Tracy said, while explaining actions taken in the video."

Admittedly, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so maybe I'm not clear on what I've read. Was this whole thing kicked off because the guy shot a window out of his own truck?

I recognize that he's got plenty of record otherwise, but I feel like I've missed something this morning. Confused

yup, you are correct,

yet he did shoot at more than one cop...

so, Fuck him.

And the sheriff was right, they should not let that kind of mentally unbalanced person who is willing to kill the very people who work to keep life safe; back into society.

My very, very nice, charming and polite school teacher grandmother said, "some people need killing". And she was right.

There is a whole long list of people who should resume room temp:

murders
rapists
people who stick fingers into little children
people who hurt little children
people who shoot other people (not in self defense or times of war)

you get the idea

You seem to be focusing on the "what got this started" is not actually equal to "why he got shot"

and I recon breaking into your own shit shouldn't rate up there with getting killified by the police,

but don't shoot at the cops and you won't get shot back at...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You seem to be focusing on the "what got this started" is not actually equal to "why he got shot"

and I recon breaking into your own shit shouldn't rate up there with getting killified by the police,

Yessir, that's sort of where I was headed.
I figure shooting his own window out may have been stupid (could have used a rock or something instead, perhaps), but doesn't necessarily bring on a police response.

Now, once he's got their attention and starts shooting at them, well certainly it's Game On. I've got no problem with that.

So my remaining question is simply, was it the method by which he broke into his truck the action that brought about the police response to begin with? And if that wasn't it, then perhaps I'm still overlooking it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yessir, that's sort of where I was headed.
I figure shooting his own window out may have been stupid (could have used a rock or something instead, perhaps), but doesn't necessarily bring on a police response.

Now, once he's got their attention and starts shooting at them, well certainly it's Game On. I've got no problem with that.

So my remaining question is simply, was it the method by which he broke into his truck the action that brought about the police response to begin with? And if that wasn't it, then perhaps I'm still overlooking it.

Well, he was also apparently wanted for murder, so there is that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That would do it, yep.

But it still seems to me that what drew the spotlight to him was the act of shooting out his window.

Doo-mahs might still be on the lam, if he hadn't drawn attention to himself like that.

Perhaps being stupid paid off [for society].

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

When the cops get a call complaining about an off-kilter guy cranking off a round in public at a truck stop, they're going to get involved and investigate.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A show of hands: How many here believe that firing a gun to shoot out one’s vehicle window in a public place where such an action probably endangers others in the area and is very likely illegal shouldn’t be investigated by the police?

Hmmm—?

Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Call the po-leece.

So many feet within right of way. Stuff like that.

If it ain't nothing, likely won't be nothing.

If it's something, it needs to be looked into.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43866 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A show of hands: How many here believe that firing a gun to shoot out one’s vehicle window in a public place where such an action probably endangers others in the area and is very likely illegal shouldn’t be investigated by the police?

Hmmm—?

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I didn't say it wasn't a stupid maneuver, nor that it shouldn't have been checked out.

I was simply trying to figure out what drew so much attention to him in the first place.

God bless America.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ now you know, and knowing is half the battle...

Go JOE!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Is it normal for LEOs to carry FA MP5s for patrol purposes? I've seen a lot of Utah LEOs in the news with ARs and short suppressors. This is the first time I've heard of or seen a local LEO with an MP5. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have it, I'm curious whether this is a conscious choice for patrol use, or if the guy perhaps wasn't a patrol officer.

Right now three of our patrol cars have full auto M16s. The rest are semiauto but my chief made me order parts to return them all to full auto.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8012 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
too bad the bad guy survived.

That would have been a better ending to this story!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, unless you're the poor sap pulled over 500 yards away that nobody can see,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What will happen with the innocent shot by the stray bullet from the police?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by deepocean:

Right now three of our patrol cars have full auto M16s. The rest are semiauto but my chief made me order parts to return them all to full auto.

That's beyond awesome.
Will you do my AR's too?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
What do you mean, "what will happen"?

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

City payout, as it should be.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
What do you mean, "what will happen"?

Mars' post initially had more details. He originally continued by asking:

"Will these cops just blame the perp and fuck the victim twice, or will they actually take care of the victim's crippling medical bills and lifelong debilitating injuries?"

(or thereabouts)

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mars, why don't you call that police dept and ask them?

"crippling medical bills and lifelong debilitating injuries"

I guess you know something that we don't, Mars. Apparently, you've been in contact with this person, their doctor, and a fortune teller. Tell us more about their "lifelong debilitating injuries".

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:
[

[i]"Will these cops just blame the perp and fuck the victim twice,

The usual method would be carpet, broom, sweep.

There are exceptions like the newspaper delivery victims out in Kali who were mistaken for bad guys and shot a bunch of times. No compensation for the dead up in Cleveland that got dead by 47 shots (as I remember, they were unarmed). Over in Buckeyeville, the bad guy got deadified when he tried to drive away from his traffic stop. The dirty lib city opened their treasury to the dirtbags family.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post