SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First dental implant what to expect?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First dental implant what to expect? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
My wife and I are thinking of heading down to Mexico to have this done.

I wouldn't, lots of cases of people catching Hepatitus C and stuff from dental services down there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

They use the tiniest ratchet I've ever seen to screw in the abutment.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

They use the tiniest ratchet I've ever seen to screw in the abutment.

Actually, it's a torque wrench (really!)... Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had two:
Expensive, but painless and with no problems.
After they are finished, they are actually better than real teeth (IMO) !

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I have had two:
Expensive, but painless and with no problems.
After they are finished, they are actually better than real teeth (IMO) !

Mostly true - once fully integrated, the implant body itself is essentially permanent. It doesn't abccess, it doesn't (normally) fracture, it's not sensitive to hot or cold. If the crown (abutment) fractures, you unscrew it and replace it. You can lose bone around an implant with an eventual failure in some circumstances, but generally even loss of some bone in otherwise healthy tissue will still support the implant.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never thought of my natural teeth as "not solid" in any way. But after receiving the implants, it became obvious that real teeth have quite a bit of flexibility, by comparison. The implants are absolutely rock solid.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that replied to my question, all replies were informative and helpful. For those planning to get an implant there's no need for any anxiety regarding the procedure. The procedure is no more painful than getting a filling and no where near as stressful as getting an extraction. They numb you up pretty good so you don't feel anything, you can hear the drill and feel a bit of pressure but no pain or discomfort. My procedure took less than an hour and a portion of that time was just getting me prepped for the implant. My dentist gave me a few prescriptions for pain/swelling plus antibiotics and a antiseptic mouthwash. To bad implants aren't a little cheaper but nothing medical is cheap. Thanks again I appreciated everyone's responses.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Womdering how your recovery is going. I just had another cracked tooth (my 5th!) extracted this morning. I'll be getting another implant. The worse part is over, except for the bill.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Had several done. No issues at all.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Root canal on a molar is worse. Only thing painful about the implant is the cost..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post