SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought a birth year guitar. 1958
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a birth year guitar. 1958 Login/Join 
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet guitar.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Will be looking forward to some of your audio files with the sounds of that beauty..

One of my friends I use to jam with way back when, had an old D-18 about that age that just sounded superb.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Those all hog guitars are something else. Nowhere near the pedigree of your guitar but I have a Martin D-15 and though I don't play it much due to giving most of my attention to my D-28, the sound is incredible.

Yours may have lost the incredible aroma that all hog guitars have but I keep mine cased so the smell is still pretty strong despite being a 15 year old guitar.

Is that Chicago Music Exchange from one of the pictures in the ad? That place is paradise.

It sure looks like the Chicago Music Exchange, but the seller had a different name. Probably under the same roof.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Will be looking forward to some of your audio files with the sounds of that beauty..

One of my friends I use to jam with way back when, had an old D-18 about that age that just sounded superb.

Will, today or tomorrow I'll drop it off at the luthier. Not sure how long it'll take for him to check it out, but after I'll feel more confident keeping the strings tensioned without maybe damaging the bridge. That's my biggest concern. I'd hate to see it rip off.

After I get it home I'll try various songs, but suspect finger style might sound best.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I was fascinated by the writing on the inside of the case. I looked up Bolivar, Missouri and it appears to be right on the edge of the Missouri Ozarks. The writing and misspelling of "Dady" (coupled with the history of Bolivar originally populated by Tennesseans) makes me think this was a real hill country, back porch, jug and a bunch of family and friends, get-down-and-play-country guitar. Very cool

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was too, T and that really played a factor in buying this guitar. I didn't do the research you did though. Thanks for adding that hint of mystery.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Dropped the guitar off at the luthier this morning. He was very impressed overall and thought it was worth a fair amount more than I paid...not that was a goal in buying this.

He noticed some fine cracks which I hadn't noticed, but said it was common among guitars this age and no big deal to fix. He was concerned he may have to replace the bridge plate and re-glue one brace that he heard some vibration in.

He said back then they used a water-based walnut stain on their mahogany tops, which was news to me. He also said the tuning pegs had been replaced.

He's going to give it an overall cleaning and repair the other items. I look forward to seeing and hearing the results.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice! That lefty version definitely restricts your market.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post