SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought a birth year guitar. 1958
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a birth year guitar. 1958 Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I never thought I'd be able to afford a birth year guitar, but always thought it would be cool to have one.

I found an opportunity last week and thought if ever I want to pull the trigger on this, now's the time. I made an offer and they accepted.

https://reverb.com/item/506675...n-lg-0-natural-lefty

I received the guitar yesterday and it sounds surprisingly good given the old strings that are on it. I don't know enough about construction to know if the "pins" in the bridge are an attachment method, but it appears the bridge rear is lifting slightly, so I'll swing it by my friendly luthier to have him check it all out.

As you can see by the case photos, it's pretty weird to see the writing inside and imagine the feelings of the people who once owned this old guitar.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38645 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Looks like you could end up with a hell hound on your trail if you play it just right. Big Grin

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Kudos from another lefty player.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Looks like you could end up with a hell hound on your trail if you play it just right. Big Grin

Ha! I had to google that, but yeah, you're right, Bill. I'll give it my best shot!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38645 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Nice find. Kudos from another lefty player.

Yeah, Vinny. What are the chances of finding a natural lefty of that vintage. Karma! Smile

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd love to hear that all-mahogany guitar. Nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great old guitar, made in Gibson's Parson's Street factory in Kalamazoo, MI. They buillding nowadays houses the Heritage Guitar Company.
Enjoy your guitar, but, before you really get playing with it, I would have it checked out, to make sure that the braces etc are all secure within the body of the guitar.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
Great old guitar, made in Gibson's Parson's Street factory in Kalamazoo, MI. They buillding nowadays houses the Heritage Guitar Company.
Enjoy your guitar, but, before you really get playing with it, I would have it checked out, to make sure that the braces etc are all secure within the body of the guitar.

Yes and many of those old timers at Heritage are hold-overs from Gibson...those who didn't want to move to Nashville. They got together and formed the new company.

I'm going to have a luthier check it all over to make sure it's good.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'd love to hear that all-mahogany guitar. Nice.

J, it really has a pretty good sound as is. It can only get better with new strings and possibly change the saddle to bone.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's cool. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have a lefty ES-335 made when I was 3. You got a nice guitar there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... great find 'lefty'.

'58 was a good year ... Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I,love old guitars. My oldest is a mint 1963 Les Paul Jr. In the factory cardboard case, original strap, and hang tags. I've never plugged it in.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
That is outstanding. Are you leaving it in its current condition or are you having your friend restore it?

Wood that old has got to sound amazing.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very cool guitar! Congrats man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
That is outstanding. Are you leaving it in its current condition or are you having your friend restore it?

I want to leave it as original as possible. Concerned about the bridge lifting and maybe change the saddle for sound. Otherwise, a bit cleaning and that's it. Lube tuners maybe?

Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Very nice I bet it's got a very mellow tone to it. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
One word, resonate! I love the way an oldie rings, you cannot substitute, it's just stunning.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Is condition important, or overrated?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Those all hog guitars are something else. Nowhere near the pedigree of your guitar but I have a Martin D-15 and though I don't play it much due to giving most of my attention to my D-28, the sound is incredible.

Yours may have lost the incredible aroma that all hog guitars have but I keep mine cased so the smell is still pretty strong despite being a 15 year old guitar.

Is that Chicago Music Exchange from one of the pictures in the ad? That place is paradise.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post