Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cargo Pants Login/Join 
posted
I've finally just about worn out my Royal Robbins cargo pants. That is the company now marketing under the 5.11 label. I would like to buy another pair but no-one locally carries them any more and n=I need to get a different size so would like to try them on. Any recommendations for an equal quality pair? I prefer the cotton canvas material.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought 5.11s in many years because at the time the front pockets were too small to pocket carry my Kahr.

My current favorite cargo pant is DuluthFlex Fire Hose Work Pants. Extremely comfortable, durable, and well thought out pockets.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I wear the Carhartt cargo pants. Not easy to find in stores, but Field & Stream stocks them. Have not had to look online yet.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I haven't bought 5.11s in many years because at the time the front pockets were too small to pocket carry my Kahr.

My current favorite cargo pant is DuluthFlex Fire Hose Work Pants. Extremely comfortable, durable, and well thought out pockets.

I'm a big fan of Duluth Trading myself and have a lot of their clothing but I must admit their overuse of Velcro on shirt and cargo pants pockets has started to annoy me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Pardon the slight thread hijack, but I might get me a pair of the Duluth pants to test out.

How is the fit with the Duluth stuff?

Should I order a size larger than what I normally wear? I carry IWB.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
How is the fit with the Duluth stuff?

Should I order a size larger than what I normally wear? I carry IWB.

With Duluth, I have to order a size smaller in their shirts, since the shirts are sized overly large and buying my normal shirt size leaves me swimming in it.

But I order my normal size in their pants. They're comfortably loose without being too baggy, and work well for me for IWB carry. But YMMV.

Luckily, Duluth has excellent customer service. If you need to go a size up/down, you can easily exchange them.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Duluth, all I wear now.

I ordered a size bigger, as I carry a P226 IWB.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Same for me with Duluth. I have their heavy firehose and flex. I haven't managed to destroy a heavy pair yet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with the Wrangler Cargo Pants.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riggs Ranger Pants. Made by Wrangler. Love mine. Tough and reasonably priced. The pocket setup is excellent.
And Duluth is excellent too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duluth Firehose Flex - tough and with a little stretch so they're a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I buy from LA Police Gear their own brand when they go on sale for $19. Ripstop material in a variety of colors. Good tough stuff priced right.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, 5-11 has a great exchange policy. I've used it twice. Having said that, I bought their cotton cargo pants on sale last year, thinking that after a few wearings they wouldn't need ironing, but I was wrong.

I'm switching to Wranglers, because they are almost as good as 5-11, less than half the price, don't need ironing, and I can get them at Walmart. They do seem to be seasonal here, though, so if you decide to try them, do it now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Having said that, I bought their cotton cargo pants on sale last year, thinking that after a few wearings they wouldn't need ironing, but I was wrong.

5.11's standard cotton cargo pants need to be ironed. Their cotton/poly blend "Taclite Pro" pants do not need ironing.

I very much prefer the latter. The 100% cotton 5.11s fade quickly as well. The Taclites do not.

Taclites are lighter in weight than the standard cotton pants, but are just as durable. They're especially great in warmer weather, but the Taclites are what I wear year-round on duty. I just wear a base layer (leggings) on cold days.

http://www.511tactical.com/taclite-pro-pants.html

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duluth Trading is finally about to open their new store here. Gonna have to check out their clothing.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Duluth pants. I order one waist size larger for IWB carry
You may also want to consider 5.11 Stryke pants.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
...I bought their cotton cargo pants on sale last year...

5.11's standard cotton cargo pants need to be ironed. Their cotton/poly blend "Taclite Pro" pants do not need ironing.

I was trying to save a few bucks, but it didn't work out. I'm sure their more expensive stuff is great, since I wear their Covert Khaki slacks. In fact, the sale price I paid was the same as the Taclite Pro's you linked to! If I hadn't just bought a year's worth of Wranglers I'd get me some! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having an issues with trying to purchase Geoffrey Beene cargo shorts. No one carry them anymore. I like the way they fit and wear.

Another problem is Rockport shoes. The style made in Vietnam I wear for past several years is a 9W. That model is now made in India with apparently thicker materials, so I have to go to a 10, which is correct width, but too long.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
I buy from LA Police Gear their own brand when they go on sale for $19. Ripstop material in a variety of colors. Good tough stuff priced right.

I bought five pairs of the LAPG basic bdu pants at least six years ago. The damn things just won't wear out. If you don't mind button fly pants, they're nice for work or outdoor wear.

I must have ten pairs of the 5:11 original & tac-lite pants. We wore them for duty pants when I was working, so my uniform allowance paid for most of the price. Now, I wear them for casual. Half of them are the cotton & I've never ironed them. I just take them out of the dryer or off the wash line, fold the legs along the seams & hang them up. I've never had problems with wrinkles.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
the 1900's called - they want their PANTS back!

/me runs off

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post