SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you touched nerve here!

When I bought my 2017 Lexus GS, I noticed with amusement that the "quick reference guide" was 100 pages!

Although I am a tech enthusiast, I still continue to learn new features about this car, even though I have had it for 3 years!

Posts: 939 | Location: Herndon, Virginia | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the good old days. You could do a valve job on your 1954 Chevy at 40,000 miles and points and plugs every 10,000 miles. It got 15 miles per gallon if you were lucky in gentle country driving with no power accessories and no air conditioning. 0-60 was about 12 seconds and it would stop slightly faster than a freight train. How many generators, starters,brake shoes, exhaust systems and carburetors did it take to go 100,000 miles? How much more likely were you to get killed in an accident? Yes, the new ones are expensive to fix and you have to read the owner's manual once in a while. Of course I was making $3500 a year back then.

Posts: 1494 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a 1927 Ford model T in his garage. He was giving me the tour, and he pointed out that his was a late model T, so it had a water pump instead of convection cooling. I commented that it must be better to actually have a heater, because of the water pump. He showed me a tin tray that you’re supposed to fill with burning coal/charcoal before your trip if you want heat.

Who needs all this fancy tech. I like it the way it was! Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I had a 2017 Mercedes E63 AMG. The amount of electronics was mind boggling. The car did some amazing things. When cruise control was turned on, it would read the speed limit signs.
When you pressed the “parking” button, it would search for a parking spot. It could parallel park, or in a regular spot, it would ask if you wanted nose in or tail in.
It would monitor the road as you were driving. Potholes, bridge expansion joints, etc., it would adjust the suspension prior to contact to lessen the feel of the bumps.
It had collision avoidance, which worked. The car noticed I was not paying attention, and when I was about to rear-end someone, it stopped abruptly. It saved itself.
In the event of a collision, it would roll the windows up rapidly, and mute the music, and through the speakers it would let out a very loud and annoying sound. This was to prep your ears for the sound of the impact, to prevent tinnitus from the crash. (I never experienced this aside of hearing the sound in a YouTube video).
While this isn’t electronics tech, it had laminated glass all the way around. It was so quiet inside the car. That, I miss.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4019 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowflash:
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles.....
...Yesterday as an example, we are on our way to Stuart VA, when I notice we are in snow mode according to the instrument panel. Apparently when the spouse went to plug in her cell-phone for charging she inadvertently touched the button that activated Snow Mode.
It is a good vehicle but has more automated & semi-automated functions that have become standard compared to our other vehicle thus it’s a bit of a learning curve......

I had about the same thing happen with my 2018 Ridgeline. I'd had it maybe a week, the dog (Sophie) and I were going somewhere and I was driving on cruise when cruise kicked off and we slowed down. Sophie was in the back with her front paws up on the console, I pushed her back, hit the accelerator to get back up to speed then started fiddling with the cruise buttons. Cruise power on button wouldn't activate, damn brand new truck and it's going to need to go back to get fixed already. It was a few miles later that I happened to notice the little word "Snow" on the bottom of the instrument display. I start searching around and a find drive mode button on the console near the shifter, push it a couple times to get to "Normal" mode and low and behold the cruise now functions.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7026 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've got an older truck, so if I want a gizmo that is in the newer vehicles, I can just add it to mine.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
We ARE I think entering the overload stage with new vehicles.

Definitely.

Several episodes of UK Top Gear (original), the guys would come across a car that was so cumbersome, different and complicated in system operations that it became part of a running gag of how ridiculous it was to just to get the thing to-go. You would wait to see if it was the suspension/engine adjusting, GPS programing or bluetooth connectivity that would trip them up. Even better if it was the audio system or internal environmental features. Big Grin

Posts: 14537 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not good with technology, but I like it.

We bought my wife a 2020 CX-5 a couple of weeks ago and the technology was amazing (ok, amazing to me).

So tomorrow I am meeting the car sales guy at the Honda place in Clearwater to see what they'll give me for my 2017 Ridgeline which has zero technology (okay, map and phone and music, but nothing really good). 4 months ago they offered me 25.5k and if they are close tomorrow, they'll own it.

It'll no doubt be my last vehicle (again, okay, maybe a wheel chair or walker) but last motor vehicle so I want something that I like.

But I doubt they'll do what I want. So I'll maybe trade it for a Lexis SUV.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Ah yes, the good old days. You could do a valve job on your 1954 Chevy at 40,000 miles and points and plugs every 10,000 miles. It got 15 miles per gallon if you were lucky in gentle country driving with no power accessories and no air conditioning. 0-60 was about 12 seconds and it would stop slightly faster than a freight train. How many generators, starters,brake shoes, exhaust systems and carburetors did it take to go 100,000 miles? How much more likely were you to get killed in an accident? Yes, the new ones are expensive to fix and you have to read the owner's manual once in a while. Of course I was making $3500 a year back then.

This....I love looking at old cars....driving, not so much.

I was a child of the eighties almost the worst car decade, the seventies are the worst.

They had a "tech rep" when my wife bought her X3, I politely told him..."thanks but I will figure it out"

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles. The last vehicle we purchased was 13 years in the past before acquiring a 2019 Toyota Highlander this past December. It’s a model LE-Plus- AWD- V6 (295-HP) with 8 SPD transmission.

Yesterday as an example, we are on our way to Stuart VA, when I notice we are in snow mode according to the instrument panel. Apparently when the spouse went to plug in her cell-phone for charging she inadvertently touched the button that activated Snow Mode.
It is a good vehicle but has more automated & semi-automated functions that have become standard compared to our other vehicle thus it’s a bit of a learning curve.

It’s one of those deals where you have to walk before you can run! Smile
. Ask her to lock the glove compartment!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm carless or rather truckless. 26k and the Ridgeline is theirs.

Problem for me is there's really nothing that I see that I want.

My wife's Mazda CX-5 Signature Series with the turbo has some power, though I don't need too much power in my driving life.

The Mazda CX-9 is nice, but a 4 cyl without turbo so that's out.

Maybe another CX-5 but in a different color-we'll see. She got the one that is my fav-a white one. Red? Hmmmmm!

Looking at Lexis again.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles. The last vehicle we purchased was 13 years in the past before acquiring a 2019 Toyota Highlander this past December. It’s a model LE-Plus- AWD- V6 (295-HP) with 8 SPD transmission.

Yesterday as an example, we are on our way to Stuart VA, when I notice we are in snow mode according to the instrument panel. Apparently when the spouse went to plug in her cell-phone for charging she inadvertently touched the button that activated Snow Mode.
It is a good vehicle but has more automated & semi-automated functions that have become standard compared to our other vehicle thus it’s a bit of a learning curve.

It’s one of those deals where you have to walk before you can run! Smile
. Ask her to lock the glove compartment!

Actually the Human Engineering of the switch locations is poorly executed. Thus I could have inadvertently did the same thing seated in the front passenger seat.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did it-bought something else.

I tried the CX-9 (it had a turbo, all CX-9s are turbos-learned somthing new today) and had a nice amount of power).

Then I tried a CX-5 just like my wife's, the signature series. Same engine as the CX-9s, but a smaller, lighter SUV, so it's pretty quick.

I should confess I'd never driven my wife's, not that I couldn't, you understand, but I just hadn't.

I was impressed, especially with the technology. The hologram in the windshield with speed and stop signs, red lights, etc. is amazing.

I made my first phone call by telling it to call Willie Jewell's (a BBQ place here). My old truck had that, but I could never get it to do the call right.

It has so much stuff I don't understand that I am meeting the salesman Tuesday to go over more stuff. Stuff! Neat!

Oh, yeah, wife bought a white one, told me to pick another color. I gave in without a fight and bought silver, just like my old truck.

Life is good.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I love my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU.

Manual windows.
Manual six speed.
No computer display.
Hell, not even doors or a top unless it’s raining!

I do have AC, and Bluetooth, but just for music (can’t hear crap over the phone).
Sure, it’s got computer stuff in it. But not as much as everything else.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post