SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles Login/Join 
posted
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles. The last vehicle we purchased was 13 years in the past before acquiring a 2019 Toyota Highlander this past December. It’s a model LE-Plus- AWD- V6 (295-HP) with 8 SPD transmission.

Yesterday as an example, we are on our way to Stuart VA, when I notice we are in snow mode according to the instrument panel. Apparently when the spouse went to plug in her cell-phone for charging she inadvertently touched the button that activated Snow Mode.
It is a good vehicle but has more automated & semi-automated functions that have become standard compared to our other vehicle thus it’s a bit of a learning curve.

It’s one of those deals where you have to walk before you can run! Smile

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You're not alone. My 81 year old mother got what is likely to be her last new car, a Toyota RAV4, and though she likes the car, she dreads driving it because of all the things she doesn't know about it. My brother and I continue to do tutoring sessions with her when we can to try and fill in the knowledge gap, but its a battle for her.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I know know what you mean I have a Chrysler 300 S 2012. I bought it new and I still have to get my daughter to set up things for me on the radio screen.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Gimmie the old days, rubber floor mats, metal dashes, am radio, hand crank windows, three on the tree, straight six C10 short bed Chevy with bias ply tires, two tone paint and nothing you couldn't fix in the garage with a pair of pliers and some duct tape....

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In the past, if old people needed low tech in a new car, they bought a Buick. Maybe that’s changed?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m the opposite. Hoping autonomous vehicles will arrive before they take away my driver’s license someday.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles

I have no desire for the latest technology in a vehicle. I actually prefer simple and easy to understand. My 4Runner has a radio but no touch screen or any of that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last fall I bought a new Durango. At one point, my sales dude left the desk and came back with a 20 something dude. The sales guy explained that the youngster was the "tech rep" for the dealership and that he would train me in the electronics on the Durango. That part of the sale took about 30 minutes. I later asked sales dude why he did not show me the electronics and he told me that between Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Ram, he was not able to demonstrate or keep current on all the features of the cars.
My Ex-MIL had a badass Cadillac STS and when she drove it anywhere, she would sit in it and blow the horn until someone came out to see what was going on. She could not figure out how to open the auto locking doors!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Our 2007 Accord went over the edge on repair costs recently at about 285,000 miles so my wife decided she wanted a 2017 Volvo XC-90. Talk about too much technology! There are so many bells and whistles on it that, for probably the first time ever on anything in her life, she’s actually reading the owner’s manual.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2088 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Last November picked up a 2020 Porsche Cayenne in Rocklin, CA. Drove it up to Reno, where I then took control of my 2018 Porsche Cayman. The near 1K miles drive home to MT had SEVERAL stops to get out the manual to get something figured out. LOL.Had to stop with the Cayenne once too.

We ARE I think entering the overload stage with new vehicles.

One think the Cayman does have , which I like, are physical buttons and switches. I've been in some new vehicles where you have to avert your eyes from the road, search the touch screen for what you want do do, etc. Thats IMHO dangerous.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you. My car has like 12 computers on it, radar, cameras, auto climate control, auto cruise control, an app, blind spot detection, wifi, self parking, ambient lighting, LED everything, touch screen, lane keep assistance, and more that I can't think of. Power windows/locks and A/C is really all I need.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My newest car is a 1999 Isuzu Trooper and it has more tech than I’m happy with. I don’t carry the remote to unlock the doors. I use the key. I will admit that I did upgrade the tape deck to a new head unit with Bluetooth for my phone. Only after the tape player stopped working though. My 1998 GMC with the manual transmission, windows and locks is perfect.

I like having a Bluetooth radio to connect my phone to but other than that I would prefer to stay in the 90’s. I sure don’t need help driving the car like most new vehicles do.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15248 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank god for my 2003 Camry.

Posts: 1535 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I’ve fallen behind the technology curve in regards to vehicles

I have no desire for the latest technology in a vehicle. I actually prefer simple and easy to understand. My 4Runner has a radio but no touch screen or any of that.

I'm with you there. It's just more unnecessary stuff to break and a nightmare to fix when it does. I've been telling my wife that I really want to find a 1970's era Chevy truck for a daily driver, just to get away from all the computers an other unnecessary BS.

I just realized the other day that my '01 Silverado is almost a classic...it'll be 20 next year. Yeah, It has fuel injection and an ECM, but it has a radio with manual knobs, window cranks, and manual locks. The only thing wrong with it (besides rust) is the stupid computer controlled passlock security system acts up from time to time and I have to do a re-learn on the key. Just another stupid computerized "feature" that I don't want or need....

Posts: 8343 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks vehicles have too many gizmos

I swear there are so many computers, apps, functions etc.. that driving is secondary.

I really believe that this is the cause of so many accidents. I remember in 2013 I rented a Ford Focus when I flew into Houston for an interview.

It took forever for me to try and figure out the radio due to the fact there were so many buttons and I had to click through a half dozen screens just to scan.

Within the past year, my parents relocated from COls OH to Florida when they retired. My mom did not want to take her Sonata so they gave it to me. When they got settled my dad bought my mom a 2019 Tuscon. Before coming to North Dakota I went down to visit, and my dad explained all the features: Back up cameras, radios, seats, windshields turn on if it senses rain, lane control etc..

I swear it is like the manufacturers put all these safety features and controls in the car because people cannot be trusted to drive.

Take me back to my 1993 Ford Ranger with a standard engine, am radio and crank windows.
The only thing I hated about it was carpeting because I always had to clean it due to me working construction.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason my primary vehicle is 97 Jeep TJ...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'm way behind as well.

My truck is an '07 and unfortunately is on the downhill side and picking up steam towards replacement.
It's got air bags, cruise control, power windows & locks...all that I require as far as technology Smile

I've never needed a crutch like a backup camera, lane monitoring system, butt warmers or anything else before. Why not sell me what I want? I'm sure that would knock the price down to something reasonable as well, not having to pay for something I don't want or need.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When you can't improve the basic principles of a thing, add more "features" and stuff.

The basic principle of an automobile is to transport people and things from one place to another. If you can't improve that, then add: multilevel air-conditioning, sixteen-way adjustable seats, telescoping steering wheels, forty speaker sound systems (with connectors for everything from a telephone to a data center), sun-moon-and-tsunami roofs, empty cup detecting cup holders and the like.

Same thing with phones. When was the last time you heard of a cell phone being updated with actual telephony tech?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Power everything luxury features are great ... until they break. Some are outright silly. A power retractable rear window louver/sunshade? Roll Eyes Let me know the repair bill on a power retractable running board. I haven't looked at any closely, but I doubt if those motors and linkages are very robust or well water-proofed. That extra quarter or half mile per gallon from auto stop-start is nice, until one day it decides not to restart.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a 79 Chevy C-10 with a 454 and a 5 speed sitting in the garage next to the barn. I love that truck and drive it two, maybe three times a month. It sounds awesome but you sure know you are in a truck. It gets around 12 mpg. if I keep my foot out of it.

In the garage at the house sits my new Chevy Colorado Redline edition with the 8 speed and 3.4 V6. This is my every day driver. It drives and rides like a dream, has all the bells and whistles and gives me 23 mpg all day long. Oh, it would run circles around that 79 but the old square box sure can tow more.

If I could only have one it would be a no brainier.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post