SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever wonder how the left and kids on college campuses get their thinking so wrong. This is how.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder how the left and kids on college campuses get their thinking so wrong. This is how. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Girlfriend is taking management class finishing up her degree. She points this out to me and asks if she's missing something or does this seem wrong to you. We both agreed, 1) people are idiots, 2) businesses are trying to cover asses and show how diverse they can be. Encouraging certain segments of people to apply and specifically reaching out to certain groups while not doing for others is wrong. It's racist, sexist, and ageist (if that's a word).

To think that older people, people with viginias, or people of color are to inept to find a job on their own is wrong and insulting. Open the position to all people equally and hire the best candidate possible, period.

What if you do follow the text book's recommendation, and you forgot to reach out to some oddball segment of population, let's say half black, half native American gays? Can those people sue you for excluding them? How about mid career white males? Zero additional out reach is made for them, that is the only racist/sexist part of hiring is the purposeful exclusion of a class of people.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I didn't get this crap in college, but then again I was in engineering.

However, in Corporate America I get a steady stream of this. Back in the 90s, we all had to take a diversity workshop and it was like watching paint dry. The best part of the whole 90s diversity roll-out is when the regions had to send a rank-n-file guy to be on a diversity committee. One region sent an African American hourly guy (great guy, absolute salt of the earth) who earned a bachelors and masters in night school. The big boss in my area took a different approach as he sent the most racist, backasswards, dumpster fire in his hourly staff and shared with me that, "if they can bring XXXX around then they can bring anyone around and diversity has merit."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
No mention of how to get a competent workforce, heh?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nonsense like this is a large part of why I left corporate consulting and went to work for myself. I simply can't be bothered, nor am I willing or able to fake it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you don't pay attention to these, at least two things that come off the top of my head can happen:

1) If you're a big company, you don't want to be an easy target for Reverend Al Sharpton to shake you down because you're not diverse enough.

2) Government contracts require proof and supporting documentation that you, as a vendor/supplier is diverse enough.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I experienced this shit as a line manager at a major US computer company. Personnel (aka human relations) kept putting pressure on us line managers to hire more "equal opportunity" employees, and virtually refusing to fire some of those equal opportunity types who never should have been hired in the first place!!!

We had a real time management case in which one equal opportunity female employee had deliberately destroyed about 4 million dollars of product which set the main frame computer production back for about 3 weeks. (big bucks, not to mention the cost of scrapping all that production).

We addressed this issue in our 2nd level management meeting, and when asked how to solve this problem, I suggested firing her. He did, management all the way up to 4th level agreed.

Personnel kicked it back with the explanation that this could not happen as the last 3 fired employees were all black (out of 16000 employees) and it would set a bad "trend".

My proposed solution to the HR problem was to tell them that line management had fired her, and if they in HR didn't like that, to simply transfer her into HR where she could sit in the corner all day.

That message got to HR, and they fired her.

IMO, this MCF started when the gubbermint started mandating quotas through that so-called equal opportunity BS. Gubbermint bastardized that program to the point that it became a damned quota system.

Good and deserving blacks, and others, were denied a fair chance because so many incompetent, unqualified, people were being hired simply because they were black.

Many other examples also exist.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting diversity ahead of skills.

This bullshit should be Enforced in the NBA and NFL.

I work in a forced diverse work place and the lack of communication due to the diversity is astonishing.

"Current Employee Referels" - Tend to produce employees who have similar characteristics"= Like successful, competent people who are an asset to the employer. Why consider those people?

It's a business Not social outreach. I believe the diversity where I work leads to product failures because everything is so diverse we're not creating a product for an individual to use but for a diverse group.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That isn't the source of the problem, just one manifestation of it. Schools are reacting to the desire to produce diversity.

The source is an exaggerated reaction to attempts to correct improper discrimination. Discrimination against women, for example, did exist (and still does to a much lessened degree) within relatively recent memory. And we have tried to correct that. Which has turned into affirmative action and seeking diversity for its own sake. Government and business pursues those goals, and schools teach. But the school isn't the source.

Schools tend concentrate such ideas - that is true.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
"Diversity" is shallow, superficial and cosmetic. As always, the Left worries about WHAT a person is, color, gender, race, etc and not WHO they are. The content of character vs numbers. MLK must be spinning pretty fast.

Worrying the WHAT is genderist, sexist, racist, etc as all they see is the quality they tell all of us they want everyone to ignore.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That isn't the source of the problem, just one manifestation of it. Schools are reacting to the desire to produce diversity.

The source is an exaggerated reaction to attempts to correct improper discrimination. Discrimination against women, for example, did exist (and still does to a much lessened degree) within relatively recent memory. And we have tried to correct that. Which has turned into affirmative action and seeking diversity for its own sake. Government and business pursues those goals, and schools teach. But the school isn't the source.

Schools tend concentrate such ideas - that is true.

I teach on two college campus' in Silicon Valley (both quite liberal, which is the norm around here). In my experience, schools both plant the seeds and nurture the seedlings into full fledged diversity forests, under the guise of "social justice" with it's main branches of diversity, equality, tolerance.

On the whole, white males are privileged and selfish. White males are guilty of micro-aggression, which is latent discrimination, even unknown and unintentional - they can't help it.

I could cite numerous and growing examples of diversity preference in my past 20 years. Just a few tidbits from the last year:

- a Dean told me to find a way to give a minority student an A, in order to prevent a battle
- a campus internal auditor found a minority staffer bilking a vendor, the staffer was confronted, said "you can't do anything, or I will scream discrimination".
- it is more important for a (minority) college student to get and use political power than it is to get and use marketable skills.
- College students here (heavily subsidized with taxpayer money) should have more loyalty to LaMecha and LaRaza than to America.

I once went to a half-day diversity training session. We were all split into diverse "therapy" groups to discuss the challenges and solutions of the matter, then report our findings. Everyone that is, except for one particular ethnicity, who refused to "diversify" (which was acceptable).

A just retired Dean (who was my connection to get my first teaching assignment 20 yrs ago) told me as we carried the last load of books to his car, the only real minority on campus was a conservative straight white male.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's an example from US EPA's HR website. Did they miss anyone?:
  • Asian American and Pacific Islander Initiative
  • Hispanic Initiative
  • African American Male Forum (AAMF)
  • Asian Pacific American Council (APAC)
  • Blacks in Government (BIG)
  • Federal Managers Association (FMA)
  • Federal Older Workers League (Fed OWL)
  • Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual Employees (GLOBE)
  • Hispanic Advisory Council (HAC)
  • American Indian/Alaska Native Employment Program
  • Asian American/Pacific Islander Employment Program
  • Black Employment Special Emphasis Program
  • Disability Employment Program
  • Diversity Program for Older Workers
  • Diversity Program for Sexual Orientation
  • Black Employment Program
  • Federal Women's Program
  • Hispanic Employment Program
  • Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Program

But wait, there's more:

"Already working at EPA? Learn more about our Special Emphasis and Diversity Programs on our intranet site."

Link

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you don't pay attention to these, at least two things that come off the top of my head can happen:

1) If you're a big company, you don't want to be an easy target for Reverend Al Sharpton to shake you down because you're not diverse enough.

2) Government contracts require proof and supporting documentation that you, as a vendor/supplier is diverse enough.

I work for one of those companies that seems to be terrified of violating any PC mantra.

Here is an observation: Why does the "Director of Diversity" always have to be a minority themselves ? White people can't possibly be unbiased and want true diversity?

Yet, statistically, even today, about 63% (all time low) of all people in any position should be White.

EDIT: Other data:
Whites (including Hispanics who identify as White) constitute the majority, with a total of about 246,660,710, or 77.35% of the population as of 2014.

And while everyone should have all their legitimate "rights", why should my company be promoting "Gay Pride month" ? Where is my freedom to believe some things are immoral ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where is my freedom to believe some things are immoral ?

You are entirely free believe whatever you like. No one can stop you. No one. Ever.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:

And while everyone should have all their legitimate "rights", why should my company be promoting "Gay Pride month" ? Where is my freedom to believe some things are immoral ?

You have that freedom but voicing out that belief may lose you your job. You can't even refuse to bake a particular cake anymore. Hopefully, the Supreme Court will chime in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just missed it, but I see nothing in there about identifying the requirements of the job and then hiring people with the knowledge, skills, and abilities and other characteristics needed to successfully do the job.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post