SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you help me finding a hero EMT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help me finding a hero EMT Login/Join 
posted
OK, so I know this is a long shot and a little long winded, but bear with me for a little bit.

On August 17th my cousins were returning home to Cincinnati from Louisville, on I 71. They were driving in a storm and their car hydroplained into the back of a semi that had pulled off of the road.

The youngest one was ridding in the back seat (He just turned 14) his mom was driving, and his older brother was ridding shotgun. The 14 year old in the back seat got the worst of it, and is still in a coma at Children's Hospital.

There was an off duty Paramedic who saw the accident and stopped to help. He stopped the bleeding, and stabilised my cousin. He, along with the other first responders, saved my cousins life.

We have no idea who this off duty paramedic is, but my family would like to thank him.

What we think is (but this may not be 100% accurate) that the paramedic was driving south on I 71, and that he is from Tennessee.

Again I know that this is a long shot, but if you know who this man is (or if you are a member on here) could you please let me know. My family would like to thank this man for what he did. My e mail is smithbcemail@yahoo.com if you want to contact me there.

Thanks

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help but your post proves there are still good people in the world. Smile

Good luck-

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There should be record of the first responders in that county that arrived and transported.

See if you can contact them and they may have obtained the other off duty PM's information as part of the record.

Hope you are able to connect.

My prayers for your nephew.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
call the 911 center in the county and ask for the names of the responders...they know the name of the off duty guy who helped..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The responding department should have his name, registry or license number and the department he is affiliated with.

In New Mexico the first trained professional at the scene was in charge. Case example. At work a truck driver was injured, out of my agency's response area by fifty miles. I initiated treatment, local fire rescue was called, volunteer agency. Of the two arriving, only one had any training, basic first aid. I was required to ask them their training level while presenting my EMT registry card.

As the responders had a lesser training level than I had I could not turn my patient over to them, that would have been dereliction of duty.

The next arrival, a minister was a state registered EMT. I then turned my patient over to him, subsequently asked to assist him which I agreed to. My name, agency and EMT registry number was noted on the run report for that agency and also by the ambulance company doing transport.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome that he was there when needed, and awesome that you are trying to track him down to thank him. Good luck in your search! May I please suggest you break up/somewhat codify your email in the OP? Clever scammers (not membership) have forum searching algorithms looking for live email addresses, and will be eager to try to run a game on you.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you ID the responding agency, ask for the "Run Sheet" for the crash. It will have the names of all the crew and should include the name of the Good Samaritan EMT who was first on scene.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Just more solid proof that there are a lot of really good people in this country.

Prayers for your cousin's prompt and full recovery.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My daughter came up on a serious car accident a few weeks ago, and rendered CPR to a police officer who had been hit by a drunk driver. She is an EMT, but was not on duty when she stopped. The officer had suffered severe head trauma, and after the Paramedics arrived and transported him to the ER, the officer died. She was depressed for a while about that, God bless her, and God Bless the officer and his family. And may the drunk driver get everything that's coming to him, and more, I'm trying to be nice here without cursing.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
My daughter came up on a serious car accident a few weeks ago...

Please tell her, you have an invisible friend that truly is grateful she does what she does.

I do my utmost best to move out of the way, anytime I see them on a call.

And I have purposefully blocked off traffic to help on two occasions, when people simply could not be bothered to stop at two intersections.

Pulled out, blocked the opposing flow and waved them through. The "urgent" look on the face of the driver was obvious.

God Bless them all and keep them safe.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
My daughter came up on a serious car accident a few weeks ago, and rendered CPR to a police officer who had been hit by a drunk driver. She is an EMT, but was not on duty when she stopped. The officer had suffered severe head trauma, and after the Paramedics arrived and transported him to the ER, the officer died. She was depressed for a while about that, God bless her, and God Bless the officer and his family. And may the drunk driver get everything that's coming to him, and more, I'm trying to be nice here without cursing.

Be sure to have her talk to somebody about this, calls like that can take a greater toll than we originally realized.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I had my motorcycle accident in 1989 and was lying in the street, before the ambulance arrived a car stopped in the opposite lane and a young man dressed in a white T-shirt and jeans got out and came over to me. He spoke to me and performed some sensory tests (I was conscious). When he heard the ambulance approaching, he said "You'll be OK" and got back in his car and drove off. I have always assumed he was an off-duty EMT who was willing to check and provide assistance if needed. I often wish I could tell him how much that little gesture meant to me.

I hope you are able to identify the individual and express your thanks.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends had a cardiac arrest on a train platform. Next to him was a 17-year old kid who had taken CPR and started it immediately, while police called 911. Multiple shocks, treated with hypothermic regimen for brain preservation, and an ICD later, my friend recovered.
He called the local paper and the human interest columnist told his story, with the hope of locating the kid who gave CPR.

Turned out is was a would-be firefighter who was not planning on going to college; and thought his CPR had failed.

Kid's Mom saw the story; my friend had dinner with him and that started an ongoing relationship which led to the kid going to college, realizing he had done something great and important, and his life was changed--along with my friend's.

Sometimes you never know the consequences of the good you do for strangers--this was a time when finding out made a difference for the rescuer as well as the rescued.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Once you ID the responding agency, ask for the "Run Sheet" for the crash. It will have the names of all the crew and should include the name of the Good Samaritan EMT who was first on scene.

^^This. It is a public record and they will give it to you. At a minimum, it will give you names of people who were there and who might know his name.

At Cincinnati Children's curently?

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
As Tennessee is known as "The Volunteer State" I am not at all surprised. I will also not be surprised if the fellow IS found & is reluctant to take credit for his deed. That's just the way we roll in The Volunteer State.......

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post