SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minneapolis Self Defense Shooter NOT Charged
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minneapolis Self Defense Shooter NOT Charged Login/Join 
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted
I find it interesting to hear the perspective of the victim who was forced to use deadly force to protect himself.

I'm glad the county attorney made the right call in this case...friends, here is what a clearly justifiable shoot looks like.

http://www.fox9.com/news/271957326-story

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
So why in the HELL was he arrested in the first place? That's just wrong, it was a clearly justifiable shooting. I need to know more about Minnesota's justifiable use of force law. This is an example of why Florida's stand your ground and shield laws exist.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
The last three paragraphs of the story tell us the world is a better place without the killee.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Not being charged is not a enough. He deserves a medal for making MSP a slightly less dangerous place to live.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to court records, Luetzow has a history of assault and disorderly conduct.

Had.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
One benefit I can see is Lacount now has been officially cleared of wrongdoing.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the story.

"He (the victim) says shortly after calling police, Luetzow lunged at him. Before he knew it, he was on his back unconscious with Luetzow on top of him, gouging his eye out."

So was he knocked unconscious, regained a conscious-state, and then delivered the hot lead? Is my take correct?

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
< snip >
So was he knocked unconscious, regained a conscious-state, and then delivered the hot lead? Is my take correct?

Sounds correct, based on the new article.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"According to court records, Luetzow has a history of assault and disorderly conduct. In separate incidents, he assaulted neighbors in his apartment building after complaining that they were “too loud.”

In December 2011, Luetzow assaulted a man because he was doing laundry early in the morning and Luetzow claimed the noise woke him up.

In an altercation with a different neighbor in 2016, he kicked the victim in the face after complaining about the noise from his roller suitcases coming down the hall."

The poor fellow can finally rest in peace.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I love how the local Fox affiliate story puts 'self defense' in quotes as if to imply BS. Mad

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I love how the local Fox affiliate story puts 'self defense' in quotes as if to imply BS. Mad

Good catch! My eyes/mind read right past that - totally missed the subliminal cant.

Is it just me or is Fox News straying more and more left?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So he was arrested immediately after the shooting even though he claimed self defense and all evidence supported that.

Hmmmm....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8560014724

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Terrible journalism. Missing essential details of the incident. Makes it very difficult to understand what happened. I wonder why they decided to charge him in the first place. Most storage units have video.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Here is the MN statute. I still do not understand why they took the shooter into custody, in my view the police subjected the man to unnecessary arrest and booking given the facts presented. That is not fair minded law enforcement.

609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
"...in the actor's place of abode."
I think this may have bearing.

Part of why I posted this was to get a discussion going surrounding a citizen who knew the rules, his rights and his limitations under the law, yet managed to save his skin in a very dangerous assault situation. Basically, he followed "the rules", and came out the winner.

Minneapolis isn't the land of vast 2A liberties of Texas or Utah. Yes, he was arrested. But the process played out and he was vindicated.

Thoughts?